Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-02-2022, 08:21 PM   #51
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Good luck

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 09:20 PM   #52
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

3:0 deer winning... Chunky meat and black hair on the fletching side. Not a single speck of blood. She's blackstrapped... This stick bow is something different
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 09:48 PM   #53
J Loves Huntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Good luck on the track
J Loves Huntin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 07:02 AM   #54
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

New day today! It's a cold 48° this morning. Checking the wind and picking a stand shortly. Will update then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2022, 07:47 AM   #55
jooger17
Pope & Young

This is the fun stuff that happens when you leave your boots at camp... Them ol dogs is COLD!

I'm in a blind we call CRP. It's tucked back in a field corner not terribly far from where I hunted yesterday evening. I don't love these blinds with a recurve but it is what it is. Waiting on daylight now.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:56 AM   #56
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

good luck
Javelin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 08:23 AM   #57
jooger17
Pope & Young

Doe working this way and I hear a buck grunting
Old 10-03-2022, 08:29 AM   #58
jooger17
Pope & Young

I'm not sure if she didn't like the grunts or if she just prefers acorns over corn but she caught the field edge and is grazing away from me. No sign of the buck but she was definitely looking his direction.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:41 AM   #59
jooger17
Pope & Young

Doe sneaking in
Old 10-03-2022, 08:49 AM   #60
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Aim low!
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:08 AM   #61
C.Read
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina/Shelby Counties

One of the live hunts I've been waiting on! Good luck this morning Steve!
C.Read is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:31 AM   #62
Bryan11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson & Limestone Co

Nothing like a good live hunt to start the week off with
Bryan11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #63
jooger17
Pope & Young

Sorry about the delay. I dropped signal... Deer 4 Red 0. I'm not a blame guy but I'm about to be in those scenario. As I was drawing my bow I felt it bump the top of the blind. Not thinking about the draw compressing the limbs and making the ATA shorter I got settled and took my shot. My bow banged off of the top of the blind and ai could throw and arrow faster than it left my bow. This whole thing is a pretty humbling experience.

Things I have learned on this hunt. Me being 6'5" shooting a 60" bow; I can NOT shoot out of our blinds. They're awesome for a compound but not my stick bow. Also, I'm done hunting the way everyone else does because it just puts me in a bad mood and that's now what I'm hunting for. I'm about to pull my camo off and put my boots on and make some tracks and get back to my roots. I've been a hang and bang guy from day 1 but feeder guarding in the Panhandle has made me lazy. I'm about to locate me some feed trees and pinch points and I will be back with my climber!
Old 10-03-2022, 10:22 AM   #64
C.Read
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
I'm about to locate me some feed trees and pinch points and I will be back with my climber!
I stomped around in the ANF Saturday morning doing just that. First spot ruined by limb rat hunters so I called an audible and went over to a spot off Parker Point road. Got there and it had been thinned out pretty good but I found a drainage line, picked a tree, walked back to the truck to get my climber, climbed the tree, sat down to see if I liked the view and my fat *** caused the straps on the seat to give way. Talk about humbling...
Old 10-03-2022, 11:13 AM   #65
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
Sorry about the delay. I dropped signal... Deer 4 Red 0. I'm not a blame guy but I'm about to be in those scenario. As I was drawing my bow I felt it bump the top of the blind. Not thinking about the draw compressing the limbs and making the ATA shorter I got settled and took my shot. My bow banged off of the top of the blind and ai could throw and arrow faster than it left my bow. This whole thing is a pretty humbling experience.

Things I have learned on this hunt. Me being 6'5" shooting a 60" bow; I can NOT shoot out of our blinds. They're awesome for a compound but not my stick bow. Also, I'm done hunting the way everyone else does because it just puts me in a bad mood and that's now what I'm hunting for. I'm about to pull my camo off and put my boots on and make some tracks and get back to my roots. I've been a hang and bang guy from day 1 but feeder guarding in the Panhandle has made me lazy. I'm about to locate me some feed trees and pinch points and I will be back with my climber!
That sounds like a solid plan! Are you planning on sticking with trad gear for the entire season? I'd like to take that plunge, but just haven't yet. Good luck man!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 11:26 AM   #66
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
That sounds like a solid plan! Are you planning on sticking with trad gear for the entire season? I'd like to take that plunge, but just haven't yet. Good luck man!
I would like to say yes but I'm not going to commit to anything. I really joy shooting it and hunting with it but it's definitely a challenge. I do have a couple of invites on the books this year and I probably won't take it to someone else's place. I'm finding out more every day that punching paper and punching lungs are two way different deals. We really don't have any bucks this year that just have me over the hills excited so I'll stick with the trad gear as long as I can. I will have my compound next trip just incase wind dictates I hunt one of the blinds we have.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:25 PM   #67
jooger17
Pope & Young

Old 10-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #68
jooger17
Pope & Young

Ish happens when you stomp around in a briar thicket but the goods can be found on the other side! Really looking forward to my next trip up here with a climber on my back!

Old 10-03-2022, 04:44 PM   #69
jooger17
Pope & Young

One more sit. I'm headed to the river, not sure what signal is like there.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:02 PM   #70
C.Read
Ten Point

Since you up there in Fort Worth now, I'd hate for your ANF spots to sit idly by. Send me the coordinates and I'll make sure they are taken care of.

Good luck this evening!
Old 10-03-2022, 05:05 PM   #71
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble

We have blood!

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 05:40 PM   #72
jooger17
Pope & Young

I'm in, signal is pretty spotty. This spot is beautiful. Had a group
Of big Tom's (see y'all in the spring!) roll through just as I was getting my harness hooked up. Managed to get a pic of 1 if I can get it to load. River swings in tight to about 50 yards and this is straight bottom country loaded with hardwoods. Between the river and the pasture is probably 200 yards wide and several miles long. A road T's right here and very well used game trail makes it a 4 way. No feeder, no corn, just hardwoods and a big scrape that needs to get worked this evening. I feel like I'm back home on the Neches River bottom! I'll be spending more time down here!
Old 10-03-2022, 05:44 PM   #73
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm in, signal is pretty spotty. This spot is beautiful. Had a group
Of big Tom's (see y'all in the spring!) roll through just as I was getting my harness hooked up. Managed to get a pic of 1 if I can get it to load. River swings in tight to about 50 yards and this is straight bottom country loaded with hardwoods. Between the river and the pasture is probably 200 yards wide and several miles long. A road T's right here and very well used game trail makes it a 4 way. No feeder, no corn, just hardwoods and a big scrape that needs to get worked this evening. I feel like I'm back home on the Neches River bottom! I'll be spending more time down here!
Easterns or Rios?
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #74
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Easterns or Rios?

Easterns

Squirrel is cutting up hard to the north. It's a beautiful evening!!!! The more of this property I see the more I like!

Old 10-03-2022, 06:12 PM   #75
jooger17
Pope & Young

Black and white boar hog feeding at 40
Old 10-03-2022, 06:15 PM   #76
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Black and white boar hog feeding at 40

Kill Him!

Glad to see you posting and good luck this year.

manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 06:15 PM   #77
jooger17
Pope & Young

Old 10-03-2022, 06:19 PM   #78
jooger17
Pope & Young

They cut a wide loop and got down wind of me. Spun out and went back where they came from. Wind is swirling pretty bad.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:41 PM   #79
jooger17
Pope & Young

2 does easing this way
Old 10-03-2022, 07:39 PM   #80
jooger17
Pope & Young

I'm absolute total TRASH!! This may be a TBH Live Hunt record. 6... SIX blown opportunities in 3 days including but not limited to FIVE misses from 6 to 19 yards. I have never wanted to quit something so bad in my life but I know I'm not going to. Deer 6 me 0... That's painful to say. I'm on my way back to Fort Worth with my tail between my legs and an empty cooler. I am absolutely disgusted with myself. See y'all next time.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:13 PM   #81
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Stuff happens man. Think I’d be practicing for a long while before going out again with the stick bow.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 08:14 PM   #82
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Thanks for taking us along, Red. It's still good to read about your live hunts, kill or no-kill.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 08:30 PM   #83
GarGuy
Pope & Young

The good news is... you found a killer spot.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:49 PM   #84
Bisch
Pope & Young

The trad bows can sure humble a guy!!!! I’ve been doing it for 30yrs, and still have off days that make me wonder if I e ever known what I was doing with a stickbow!!!!!

Good luck from here on out!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 11:07 PM   #85
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
The good news is... you found a killer spot.
Several
Old 10-03-2022, 11:42 PM   #86
birddoggin
Six Point

Hunt In: Wilson

good to have you back. safe trip back!!
birddoggin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 09:15 AM   #87
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

Quote:

Get you a saddle set up. Much easier and quicker to move and set up in different locations.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 01:59 PM   #88
jooger17
Pope & Young

So it bugged me all night last night. I was sitting at Gateway when they opened this morning. We stripped the fletchings off an arrow and I did a bare shaft tune. I was about 12" nock left. I ended up cutting 1 5/8" off of the shaft to get a tune. Screwed a broadhead on and she's throwing darts now. I'm not saying the tuning was 100% the issue but it certainly didn't help.

Old 10-04-2022, 02:39 PM   #89
Pstraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Having confidence in your equipment as well as yourself is key.
Glad you got squared away. Now for the fun.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2022, 04:13 PM   #90
jooger17
Pope & Young

I'm back boys and girls! Been super busy but headed back in. Will update soon! Good to be back!!!
Old 10-25-2022, 04:48 PM   #91
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Steve, been wonderin' where you were! Look forward to your annual season long threads... Nuthin' but huntin' an' maybe a little killin'!! Good luck... I'll be following along!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #92
C.Read
Ten Point

Stick bow in tow?
Old 10-25-2022, 04:58 PM   #93
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County

LFG!

Pin Oak DXT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2022, 05:19 PM   #94
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR² View Post
Stick bow in tow?

Yes sir but I do have my contingency plan back at camp. Mostly because I like deer meat!

I went back to work for 2 weeks and all I did was practice and think of things ai could have done differently. I gave myself a pretty harsh mental beating and now it's time for round 2. I got off Wednesday morning, got me 2 solid hours of sleep, stole the kids from school, and we took us a little family mini vacation to Perdido Key Florida until Sunday. Got back around midnight Sunday night, gathered gear and hit the gym yesterday, back in the gym this morning, and hit the road. I'm swaying back and forth in a bois d'arc tree now with this 14mph NNW wind in my face. Fingers crossed!

This spot is on the edge of a pretty dense thicket. Back to the south is a big open cow pasture. I'm in a saddle towards the top of a ridge that runs east and west. There's a feeder here but it's too far for me to shoot with the injun bow so I have a little hand corn in between me and the pen. There's a wideish pencil horned 8pt and a mid to upper 120's 10pt that's been daylighting here fairly regular. Lots of pigs, lots of does, and I'm blood thirsty!

Old 10-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #95
Bisch
Pope & Young

Good luck!

Bisch

Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2022, 05:36 PM   #96
jooger17
Pope & Young

Doe sneaking in already
Old 10-25-2022, 05:37 PM   #97
jooger17
Pope & Young

Bout to get winded. She circled behind me.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:40 PM   #98
Olympic Recurve
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Good luck
Olympic Recurve is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2022, 05:45 PM   #99
jooger17
Pope & Young

It looks like a crime scene 15 yards in front of my stand but I didn't like the way she left. Fingers crossed boys and girls!
Old 10-25-2022, 05:47 PM   #100
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

She blows she goes.

Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top