Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-12-2022, 11:09 PM   #1
kry226
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County
Default 10th Annual Panhandle Hunting Thread - 2022-2023

Hey y’all, it's time to crack open the 2022-2023 Panhandle Hunting Thread! It's hard to imagine we've been going at this for TEN years now! We've had some great threads in years' past, and I'm certain this one will be no exception. Most of the state has had little rain, but the deer appear to be healthy overall, and I'm sure we've got a great season in store.

Please post all your Panhandle hunting observations, successes, pics, whatever. The season is just around the corner and preparations are well under way. This thread welcomes all manner of legal means and methods. Just be safe!

And as always, this is not a management thread. If you have concerns about what a hunter shoots, etc., take it to another thread. That’s not the discussion here.

Let's just keep this thread about soaking up the great outdoors, enjoying time with family and friends, and counting our everlasting blessings. Of course, LDPs are always welcome, if not mandatory.

Best of luck to all the Panhandle Boys and Girls this season! Here's to a safe and successful year! Godspeed and safety to all!

Sincerely,
Kyle
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2022, 11:25 PM   #2
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

We need rain!lol in a bad bad way!

Deer are looking pretty good for the conditions. We've had some bucks get bigger this year and have seen alotnof kickers extras ect. A few have stayed the same and some have fell off most of our good deer have showed back up but still waiting on a few others. So ready gor cooler Temps and season to start!
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2022, 11:27 PM   #3
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County, Western Mountain States

What fawn numbers are you seeing. I am am 20% right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtsticker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2022, 11:35 PM   #4
kry226
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsticker View Post
What fawn numbers are you seeing. I am am 20% right now

I'm right at about three doe families (about 12-15 deer) living on my place (240 acres) and out of that, I've seen a single fawn, a pair of twins, and even a set of triplets. I think they're all from mature does as I don't think any of our yearling does were bred last year or fawned this summer. Definitely interesting observations for sure. Not great fawn recruitment IMHO, but not terrible either.

Edit to add that it's been a while since I've seen any muleys, but I also don't have a camera overwatching their usual areas either.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:00 AM   #5
DaBears
Four Point

Thanks for starting this Kyle!

I always enjoy seeing this thread. The family ranch is a few miles south of Canadian, and we've got good news and bad news. The good news is that our area has been really fortunate in regards to rainfall as compared to most of Texas. More good news for our place is that we are close by an active feed lot and the deer have access to all sorts of goodies and nutrition.

The short term bad news is that the place burned in late March reducing the cover. I don't think the fire had a major impact on deer numbers as they could have run a mile or so in just about any direction and been safe. But I'm guessing our deer have been somewhat displaced and have fewer bedding options on our place so our sightings will likely be down for the next few years.

Nevertheless, I feel extremely thankful and blessed to be able to hunt (for free, no less) in the Texas Panhandle!
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2022, 12:23 AM   #6
kry226
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
Thanks for starting this Kyle!

I always enjoy seeing this thread. The family ranch is a few miles south of Canadian, and we've got good news and bad news. The good news is that our area has been really fortunate in regards to rainfall as compared to most of Texas. More good news for our place is that we are close by an active feed lot and the deer have access to all sorts of goodies and nutrition.

The short term bad news is that the place burned in late March reducing the cover. I don't think the fire had a major impact on deer numbers as they could have run a mile or so in just about any direction and been safe. But I'm guessing our deer have been somewhat displaced and have fewer bedding options on our place so our sightings will likely be down for the next few years.

Nevertheless, I feel extremely thankful and blessed to be able to hunt (for free, no less) in the Texas Panhandle!
Yessir!

On the bright side too is that the fire likely caused/will cause a vegetation explosion, especially with the rain. We had a fire about 6 or 7 years ago that took out a bunch of our cottonwoods, but man those roots boomed and along with some other brush, it's crazy thick now. Good luck, sir.
Old 08-13-2022, 01:36 AM   #7
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

We haven't seen a ton of fawns but almost all of our cameras are in feed pens. Next time I'm up gona be checking the ones on the water. We had a ton of fat bred does that look pretty drawn down now.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:54 AM   #8
Bowtech1233
Ten Point

Hunt In: Denton County, Donley County

I’m in! I’m running behind, which seems to be normal for me any more. Kids sports have my time pretty limited but it will be a great season no matter what. Look forward to seeing how everyone’s season goes.
Bowtech1233 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2022, 09:26 AM   #9
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent and garza counties

I’m in. Like everyone else we are super dry. We just set up water stations for the wildlife and they are getting crushed. I am certain we are holding some of the neighbors deer right now due to access to water, food and cover.
talltexasshoote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2022, 12:06 PM   #10
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by talltexasshoote View Post
I’m in. Like everyone else we are super dry. We just set up water stations for the wildlife and they are getting crushed. I am certain we are holding some of the neighbors deer right now due to access to water, food and cover.
We are definitely holding more deer than usual due to us having plenty of water I'm guessing. 9 different bucks in the feed pen last night
Old 08-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #11
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell County, Limpopo South Africa

Good luck to you guys in the Panhandle this year. I gave my spot up in Kent County this year due to having 2 lease within walking distance from my house plus the deer in my yard! We are dry too so not sure what to expect!
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 05:24 PM   #12
kry226
Ten Point

Great to see familiar and new folks checking in! TTT
Old 08-15-2022, 05:42 PM   #13
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

In. Beyond dry. Poor range conditions.
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 07:58 AM   #14
kry226
Ten Point

Ttt.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:35 PM   #15
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

We lost our lease in Shamrock this year. I had to leave Fort Hood at 1600 and drive all the way up to retrieve my box blind, feeder, and cameras, and then immediately turn around for the long drive home. Got home at 0345. I am going to miss it
Speedgoat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 12:50 PM   #16
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Rancher reported 1.4" last night this morning in Briscoe county. Fingers crossed much more to come over the next week.
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 02:53 PM   #17
Dmck
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas Panhandle

Not the best fawn crop but we have a some. Looks like the Mule deer did better than the WT. Our neighbors have slowed way down on feeding and I don't think anyone around me is feeding protein so lots of deer now. I lost the lease next to the one I have which was a bummer but I think they will take good care of it. They bought it for a recreational ranch.
All the work, feed and money on the Quail is paying off this year.
Dmck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 04:28 PM   #18
Thunder Gun
Nubbin' Buck

Glad to see this thread up and running again! I've been a reader for a few years and finally created an account a little over a year ago. I hunt on the Hall-Childress co. line with a spot in each. Like mentioned above, the mule deer have all but disappeared on my place. Hoping some rain and crop growth bring them back in. I did take a pretty decent mulie last year I'm hoping to get back from the taxidermist shortly.

I've been feeding corn only year round and definitely have *some* deer at the moment. Not anything like this time last year though. I do suppose what's hanging around starting around the first of October is the important thing however. Just wanted to wish everyone great luck this season and looking forward to following this thread throughout the season!

Also wanted to mention, in case anyone is actively looking for a place, the landowner I hunt with has another property currently available and he is looking for an interested group or person to lease to. I put a little longer description and info over on the "2022-2023 Available Leases" thread.

Good luck to everyone and I hope to see some awesome success pics as the year rolls along!
Thunder Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 05:11 PM   #19
Palehorse
Eight Point

Hunt In: All over

Hoping conditions improve. I was drawn for the archery whitetail hunt at Matador WMA.
Palehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #20
kry226
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedgoat View Post
We lost our lease in Shamrock this year. I had to leave Fort Hood at 1600 and drive all the way up to retrieve my box blind, feeder, and cameras, and then immediately turn around for the long drive home. Got home at 0345. I am going to miss it
Dang, sir. That's rough. Hope you're able to get on a place this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myway View Post
Rancher reported 1.4" last night this morning in Briscoe county. Fingers crossed much more to come over the next week.
I checked the cam this morning and it looked like we got some rain overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gun View Post
Glad to see this thread up and running again! I've been a reader for a few years and finally created an account a little over a year ago. I hunt on the Hall-Childress co. line with a spot in each. Like mentioned above, the mule deer have all but disappeared on my place. Hoping some rain and crop growth bring them back in. I did take a pretty decent mulie last year I'm hoping to get back from the taxidermist shortly.

I've been feeding corn only year round and definitely have *some* deer at the moment. Not anything like this time last year though. I do suppose what's hanging around starting around the first of October is the important thing however. Just wanted to wish everyone great luck this season and looking forward to following this thread throughout the season!

Also wanted to mention, in case anyone is actively looking for a place, the landowner I hunt with has another property currently available and he is looking for an interested group or person to lease to. I put a little longer description and info over on the "2022-2023 Available Leases" thread.

Good luck to everyone and I hope to see some awesome success pics as the year rolls along!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehorse View Post
Hoping conditions improve. I was drawn for the archery whitetail hunt at Matador WMA.
Best of luck, sir!
Old 08-18-2022, 06:31 PM   #21
Thunder Gun
Nubbin' Buck

I also had soaked fields this morning on camera, come on rain!!
Old 08-18-2022, 08:07 PM   #22
tkuehn5410
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crosby, Dickens

No fawn crop for us in Spur, and bucks are not impressive at all and everything was dry...hopefully today's rain spruces things up. I think we decided as a group to not hunt bucks this year and feed protein instead of hunting. We've never fed protein before, but don't want to lose half our deer like we did 6 or 7 years ago.
tkuehn5410 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 08:33 PM   #23
Yak blue
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

I’m in. Just closed on a place in Hall Co. hoping for potential…
Yak blue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2022, 03:17 PM   #24
Top Of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle

I retired this past February, and I'm aiming to hunt with my recurve. Just gotta keep working on my form and tighten that group in the next 6 weeks.

I love this thread every year. Thanks for being a leader, Kry.
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2022, 03:30 PM   #25
Top Of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehorse View Post
You dawg! Good luck, it's an awesome place to hunt.
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2022, 03:45 PM   #26
Boone11
Four Point

Not looking very promising so far at my lease in Motley
Boone11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2022, 09:02 PM   #27
kry226
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of Texas View Post
I retired this past February, and I'm aiming to hunt with my recurve. Just gotta keep working on my form and tighten that group in the next 6 weeks.

I love this thread every year. Thanks for being a leader, Kry.
Yes, sir! Best of luck with that recurve!
Old 08-22-2022, 03:03 PM   #28
Thunder Gun
Nubbin' Buck

Was up doing work this weekend and did some nighttime pig hunting as well. Cotton crops are starting to grow around our place. Saw more mule deer standing in those fields in the middle of the afternoon than I've seen in person or on camera in the last several months. That has me encouraged. There were a couple of nice bucks as well. Wish I would have gotten better glass on those guys.

Was able to set a new stand in a field we hunt just before the first round of good rain Saturday. My buddy took a particular problem hog from it later that night. Biggest pig either of us has probably ever shot and that thing was wildly destructive!!
Old 08-22-2022, 03:35 PM   #29
Rwc
Pope & Young

Always enjoy following this thread.

Rwc
Rwc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2022, 09:35 AM   #30
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young

First round of camera pics in this week. Deer and everything else look like they haven’t had significant water in 10 months. Horns are definitely down this year. Pigs are back in force. I just stocked the bow bag with Walmart clearance broadheads in anticipation of lots of pig shooting. We did finally get 1.1 inches of rain yesterday. Timing is bad but rain is always good.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:42 PM   #31
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Ended up with just over 3” from Wednesday through the weekend in Briscoe county.
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2022, 01:50 PM   #32
DaDust
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County and Brisco County

Quote:
Originally Posted by myway View Post
Ended up with just over 3” from Wednesday through the weekend in Briscoe county.
Good news.
DaDust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2022, 08:05 AM   #33
kry226
Ten Point

TTT for the weekend crowd. Y'all seeing a little more rain?
Old 09-02-2022, 09:40 AM   #34
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young

5.8 inches in 7 days on the Garza Scurry border. Much needed.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:14 PM   #35
kry226
Ten Point

TTT

Lots of green growth at my place in the last 10 days. I need to get out there and mow.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:10 PM   #36
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young

The tree plantings of wheat we stuck in the ground all came up with the last rain. We just. See another rain or two this month to really shoot it up. Animals are already browsing it off. I can’t wait for a bid on to walk on that 3 acre plot with his head held high.

We did get some bad news yesterday. It is a first for us. We lost a 7 year old buck to a train. Knocked him 50 yards. He wasn’t a trophy but he had kid cull deer written all over him. Coyotes and vultures stripped him in a day.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:47 PM   #37
kry226
Ten Point

Dang. Sorry about that, TT. Best of luck with the wheat!
Old 09-12-2022, 11:09 PM   #38
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent County, SA St Park

Hit by a train sucks! Hopefully you'll have another to fill that slot. Starting to see some rubbed out. I believe antlers will be down some also in Kent county. Rain sure greened things up and all the bucks have quit on the feeders.
Does anyone think this guy will go back to normal next year

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
bowtecmike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2022, 08:37 AM   #39
kry226
Ten Point

I think it's very possible. One year, 2010 or 2011, I had almost 10 different bucks who were very lopsided with strong left sides and weak right sides. The following year, I saw none of those traits. You just never know.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:41 AM   #40
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtecmike View Post
Hit by a train sucks! Hopefully you'll have another to fill that slot. Starting to see some rubbed out. I believe antlers will be down some also in Kent county. Rain sure greened things up and all the bucks have quit on the feeders.
Does anyone think this guy will go back to normal next year

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
Trying to guess Texas weather year to year never works. More rain or rain at a better time would definitely help next year.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #41
Thunder Gun
Nubbin' Buck

How is it looking for everyone? Deer have really, really dried up at the feeders based on camera evidence for me. It has been down from last year considerably all year but movement seems to have become especially slow the last month or so. Maybe some midnight stragglers here last few weeks. Never did see either of the mule deer bucks I glassed on the neighbor’s cotton field but just knowing they are in the general area is enough hope to give me *some* level of excitement! Hoping the fall crops popping up around me and some cooler weather bring some more movement as the season progresses. But, tough hunting still beats no hunting! Wishing everyone a great opening weekend next week!
Old 09-21-2022, 03:36 PM   #42
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

After the much needed rain we went from having 7-9 bucks at each feed station to maybe 1 or 2. Lol just in time for season too!

The bucks still look pretty good we've had some get bigger throw kickers and a few drops then some that fell way off.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:13 PM   #43
kingwoodhacker
Nubbin' Buck

In as well. We have a section in Carson county just north of I-40.

We got our feeder up late this year, but have seen a few does in the middle of the night show up on camera. Hoping that by mid-october or so we start to see some daylight activity.

We actually have gotten quite a bit of rain in the last 30-45 days so everything is super green. I have a feeling the deer won't be hitting the feeders hard until all the corn/milo gets cut and things brown up some.
kingwoodhacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 03:20 PM   #44
Thunder Gun
Nubbin' Buck

Heading out for tomorrow's opener this afternoon. Movement will probably be slow but at least season is here! Hoping to read about a few successful hunts here. Good luck and happy hunting to everyone!
Old 10-01-2022, 05:22 AM   #45
kry226
Ten Point

Good luck, y'all! Hunt safe and enjoy all the Good Lord has in store! Looking forward to many success stories!
Old 10-01-2022, 07:47 AM   #46
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Where are the deer pictures

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 08:37 AM   #47
Bowtech1233
Ten Point

Hunt In: Denton County, Donley County

Good luck to everyone that’s out there today!
Bowtech1233 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 07:47 AM   #48
kingwoodhacker
Nubbin' Buck

Had my first sit last night. Didn’t see anything but a couple of coyotes at about 500 yards. Felt good to be out there again.

kingwoodhacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2022, 03:43 PM   #49
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

Kry, thanks for getting this going.

I lost a great buck last year.
Major disappointment.
It all looked good, pass through, good blood. Buck bedded at about 120 yards but was gone when my dog and I tracked him. She lost the track at the creek. Brought in a 2nd dog, same story. Turned the pasture upside down looking, nothing. He never came back, just vanished.
I took the loss pretty hard.

The ranch went 9 months with no measurable rainfall.
Fawn recruitment down to a precious few.
Deer look pretty good despite the desperate range conditions for most of the year.

2022 was my first attempt at bee keeping.
Myself and a friend tried to remove a resident hive from the farm house and rehouse them in a bee box.
Name:  bee hive.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  204.0 KB

It did not go well.
I was stung in the ear, inside my nose and through my jeans a bunch, my buddy is still probably pulling stingers from his ankles.
We couldn’t get within 50 yards of camp without getting swarmed all weekend. We had to suit up just to load the truck and leave.

Those will be my bees, I will make another attempt in the future.

Last weekend.
Wind was wrong Thursday and Friday, but laid down and was perfect for opening morning. The bachelor group came in, nice to be back with a bow in my hand and close to big game.

I’ve got 3 deserving boys that worked hard this year and my wife is showing interest in rifle hunting, excited to see what this year holds for them.
Should be fun.

Name:  09150147.JPG
Views: 965
Size:  188.0 KB

Name:  09040059.JPG
Views: 951
Size:  164.1 KB

Name:  09060627.JPG
Views: 944
Size:  187.7 KB

Name:  09060633.JPG
Views: 952
Size:  174.5 KB

Name:  09080206.JPG
Views: 937
Size:  165.0 KB

Name:  09100911.JPG
Views: 931
Size:  231.7 KB

Name:  09180497.JPG
Views: 940
Size:  104.2 KB

Some random work weekend pics.

Name:  gate1.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  196.2 KB
Name:  bacon.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  140.3 KB
Name:  Marbles.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  119.5 KB
Name:  pen.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  164.2 KB
Name:  elm creek.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  156.5 KB

And a camp boar from last weekend.

Name:  boar1.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  144.3 KB
Name:  pig2.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  263.2 KB

Good luck everybody.
Name:  gate2.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  211.9 KB
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #50
kry226
Ten Point

Awesome pics as always, Clark! Love the double throat patch buck too. Great to see the family in the mix!