Wrong Wind From A Sealed Blind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong Wind From A Sealed Blind?

I set up a couple water tank blinds for this season. With the exception of a 10x10 shooting hole, they're sealed up. Can you get away with hunting from them with a bad wind direction or same old game?

I wouldn’t do it…always hunt the wind. I’ve been busted from a “sealed up” Maverick blind a couple times in my younger years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In my experience, deer and hogs will smell you if the wind is not right. There is nothing made that will beat a deer or hogs nose! If they are starving then you might have a chance of them tolerating you, but if not you loose!

Rwc
      Last edited by Rwc; 09-28-2022, 06:29 AM.

Comment

When bow hunting distances are considered a deer can wind you downwind if your buried in a hole in the ground. Always hunt the wind. Rifle hunting is different.

Comment

I think access is just as important as your hunting location. Will you get blown out accessing the blind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You may get lucky if they come in down wind, but the odds are against you. 100+ yds away in an elevated gun stand.....open the windows and enjoy the scenery.

Comment

With my work schedule I can’t worry about it. I gotta hunt when I can no matter the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you have your answer - but No. You should not hunt it in bad wind. I tried it for many years because I didn't have time to correct it. I only saw deer when the wind was in my face.

Comment

I do it all the time and get away with it in a sealed up pop up blind (as sealed as I can get it). I hang those earth scent wafers and freshly cut cedar (lots of cedar) and it seems to work for me. Been doing this for 20+ years. Now if I am in a tree stand or tripod I only hunt when the wind is right.

Comment

Quick easy default answer is no.... I'd find some way to seal that shooting hole up though either way.

My answer is it depends. Where we hunt out west with deer come from all directions. First question?.....What is the right wind? From your blind to your feeder? Just making sure your wind is right from your feeder to your blind is not enough. That little 20 yard blind to feeder "safe zone" is a small portion of your worries. You need to know what your specific deer do. Our mature deer can and will circle pens before they enter. We also have multiple deer come from multiple directions with a high deer density and they also leave in different directions. So while you are concentrating on your target buck trying to get a shot in our little safe buffer zone, hoping he takes a few more steps in our window, Billy Ray young feeder buck and his girlfriend Blower are leaving to go get water angled behind you at a trough 700 yards away ....and could destroy your morning. Its just not as easy as saying hunt the right wind. Another thing....some of us hunt 5 hours from where we live. Skipping 3 hunts out of 4 because the wind was not right at any of your blinds or changed from the forecast wastes a lot of money real quick. You hunt while you are there... or you don't hunt. If I hunted in my backyard I could be a little more particular....and hit the default answer above.

We hunt airtight blinds with the windows closed if temps allow because of this. We do like the wind in our face or cross winds and not in an area that swirls like a hole off a ridge or hill. That's ideal but not always available. And when I say air tight, we make the effort that they are just that with silicone and weatherstripping....we don't get busted counting on the manufacturer or builder to make it air tight. We take showers each hunt and trying to come in as scent free as humanly possible. I'll wait for the right moment and open a shooting window when the deer is in where I want him or her. Its a gamble every time you open that window though. It can be in your face and blind and your wind swirls right into them. You do whatever you can to be successful. Multiple blinds for multiple wind directions help as well but if they circle the pen, its all the same location and wind direction in the grand scheme of things there. Just a few things to think about.

Comment

You can’t know what individual deer will do. It’s not something that can be scientifically duplicated and proven. What one deer won’t tolerate another will. Best practice in my opinion is to use everything in your toolbox to get scent free, hunt when the wind is right, and hope. I’ve had really good luck with Ozonics, although a lot of folks poo-poo that method. Hogs and a coyote or two coming in from my back convinced me that it works if used correctly. YMMV.

Comment

With ozone you can.

Comment

I built a blind that I thought was airtight. Had 4 does come downwind and bust me every sit. Bought an ozonics and used it. Same 4 does came downwind on the fence line stuck their noses in the air and walked right past the blind to the feeder. Shot the doe at 13 yards. Use the wind or get an ozonics. I don’t think there is such a thing as an airtight blind.

Comment

I would think even if the blind is perfectly sealed, your walk into the blind would be enough to ruin the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                              I do it all the time and get away with it.

You have no idea how many times you’ve been busted because of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X