No announcement yet.

Scent killer soap alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use unscented dove soap and it’s no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Irish Spring OG

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
        That scent free soap doesn’t make a difference. Hunt the right wind

There is no right wind in west Texas… deer come from everywhere and leave the same. We put blinds in different areas around a pen or food source for different winds and the mature bucks still circle. Deer circle pens and food sources where we hunt. Lessening the concentration of human scent whatever your choice and not being flippant about one’s clothes adding any perfumed soaps like Gain, Tide or Irish Spring does help.. in my opinion ..

Comment

Comment

I personally do not feel like any of the scent free soaps and clothes work, if a mature buck is down wind of you then you are burnt toast, now if it is in the rut and he is on a hot doe then all bets are off.

Comment

I use all free and clear. Or at least I used to. The older I get the less i bother. But I do like to deploy some fox pee for cover scent. I have never noticed a difference in success based on how i bathe/wash clothes. The fox pee definitely helps. Not bullet proof but works.

Comment

20 Mule Team Borax for clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
                  Being where deer travel, being still, and sitting in the right spot for scent dispersion works best.

They can smell you no matter what, its about reducing the concentration of your scent to throw them off as to your distance.

Agreed. Reduction is a big player.. for us anyway.
                  Last edited by Smart; 09-28-2022, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    There is no right wind in west Texas… deer come from everywhere and leave the same. We put blinds in different areas around a pen or food source for different winds and the mature bucks still circle. Deer circle pens and food sources where we hunt. Lessening the concentration of human scent whatever your choice and not being flippant about one’s clothes adding any perfumed soaps like Gain, Tide or Irish Spring does help.. in my opinion ..
                    Agree 100%. Try to use scent free soaps and / or baking soda. I also like to put my clothes in a bag of cedar or some other odiferous type of vegetation from the area I am hunting as a type of cover scent.

Heck, even if it doesn't work it gives me more confidence and I will be more still and quiet, hunt longer etc., which can also be important.

Comment

I don’t know how much scent killer type soaps help to fool a deer, but I can prove that they work to some extent. I sweat…..a lot. I can wash my work caps that smell to high heaven in this stuff and I can no longer smell anything except ball cap, and I have a pretty good sense of smell. Whether that fools a deer or not I can’t prove, but you can’t prove that it doesn’t.
                      Attached Files

Comment

smoke

Comment

I recently went to the dermatologist for a skin issue. He recommended Vanicream products. We ordered some and it smells like DDW in the bottle. It's for sensitive skin and eczema type skin problems. It's free of perfumes and other irritants. Haven't used it for hunting, so I can't say if it will work or not.

Comment

I don't use soap for deer hunting. That being said; I also don't shower and soap down with scented soap either.

He can always set his camo by a wood burning camp fire. I have learned that deer are used to the scent of camp fire smoke. Do they smell it; yes...but it does not scare them off.

Comment

Hibiclens from any drug store.

Thank me later.

Comment

They say a dog can smell through a zip lock baggie, a deers nose is quite a bit better than a dogs. I think if you are hunting in an area where deer smell humans quite a bit ( rancher, pumper, etc ) you can get away with more, I know when I hunted Kansas quite a bit I swear the deer could smell me from upwind, the deer were hardly ever in contact with any humans until we showed up to hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X