Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-22-2022, 03:00 PM   #1
caa4612
Six Point

Hunt In: Limestone County
Default Career Change

I am learning that a title and 20 years of experience in the same field are a double edged sword. The negative edge being that if you want to get out of the field you have been in, it is so very difficult. That's what I've been trying to do for the last year with no success. It almost seems like you have to know someone that will give you a shot at a position, rather than the normal job searching methods. I know some of you struggle with that same thing, and some have been successful at making the change. For those that have been able to start a second career, what advice do you have that would be helpful? My work life has begun to effect the things at home and things I find enjoyable, so those two things tell me it is time to make a change.
caa4612 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 01:50 PM   #2
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I'm facing a similar situation. I want a career change.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 02:10 PM   #3
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

Most of my career changes were forced on me, but when laid off or company closed etc, I looked in a different field. Expect to start at the bottom if something totally new. Of course that means less pay, etc, HOWEVER, if you are really a great employee then the advancement will be quicker than normal. But sometimes, peace at home is some much better than increase in $$$.
JayB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 02:14 PM   #4
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

In my opinion factors such as what type of experience, education, certifications, etc plus market demand can impact the ability to transition from career to career
It’s especially hard if it’s a complete change totally unrelated to your background & education
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 02:37 PM   #5
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

I went from building AC coils to taking xrays of people

You can do anything you put your mind to
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 02:43 PM   #6
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Correct, employers are hiring right now, if you have a connection. No one wants to hire a ****, and there are enough people looking for work, that most people have a connection somewhere to exploit.

What are you looking to do?
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 03:11 PM   #7
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

I'd be happy to look at your resume and offer any suggestions/proof-reading/editing I can. I've done it for a few other TBH'ers. If you're interested, PM me and I'd be happy to share my email.

Networking sure does help but it's not the end-all-be-all. Maybe you just need a second set of eyes on a resume that I'm sure can be filled with a ton of accomplishments over a 20 year career.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 03:14 PM   #8
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post

This right here. Be aggressive and persistent. Seeking Gods will for you and your family should be first and let him give you the path. Good luck sir. Life is to short to be unhappy.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 03:17 PM   #9
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Quote:

Impressive & that was building AC coils on a Friday to taking x-rays on a Monday

Did you work for Carrier?
Old 09-23-2022, 03:34 PM   #10
redhoghunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Went through this last year. I began to hate the job I had loved for so long and it began to change me and impact my family and health.

The one thing that helped me was creating a career timeline. I started from day one and listed everything I had done, all the different events I experienced, all classes and certs, etc.

Then I went back and listed all the skills, abilities, and knowledge that developed over that time. After I had completed that exercise, I realized I had a lot that could translate across multiple areas. You will be surprised once you see your ďlifeĒ on paperÖ

Then I started to search fields that interested me and built resumes specifically for each. If a job came along that I felt was interesting, I applied. The most important lesson I learned was to have confidence in yourself and your skills.

Changing careers is scary, especially at 50+ but I can honestly say it was the right thing to do.

If I can do anything to help, please donít hesitate to ask.
redhoghunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 07:15 PM   #11
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
Impressive & that was building AC coils on a Friday to taking x-rays on a Monday

Did you work for Carrier?
Not quiet that fast but within a week or two of leaving the plant I was learning how

Yes Carrier, spent 12 years out there. Majority was in the coil shop

No doubt God had a lot to do with me going back to school because a bunch of things have to line up and mesh to be able to quit a full time job with a wife and 2 little kids and spend a semester not working much at all
Old 09-23-2022, 07:39 PM   #12
TA_Fab
Eight Point

Attitude, work ethic and personality go a long way! There are also a lot of skills you have that you probably donít realize translate to other fields. Narrow down what you want to do and go for it. Just be honest in the interviews that you may not have direct experience but are willing to learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TA_Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 07:40 PM   #13
frios
Six Point

Career change...
Can be very challenging and concerning. Especially going from one type of career to a totally different one.

You have 20+ years of whatever it is you do, consider yourself an expert, SME.
You don't have to love what you do but rather have a passion about it.

Maybe you just need another company to work for? Another manager?
A company and manager that cares about you, your development, growth, opportunities.

Everyone has a master plan and a calling.

Whatever you choose...go in it 100%
frios is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 07:49 PM   #14
caa4612
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
This right here. Be aggressive and persistent. Seeking Gods will for you and your family should be first and let him give you the path. Good luck sir. Life is to short to be unhappy.

Great advice there, and thatís what Iíve been asking Him for, so I do have faith He will put me in the right spot.

Old 09-23-2022, 07:51 PM   #15
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Have you considered using an aptitude testing service? (The science behind this process is fascinating.)

I retired from a career I’d been in for 30+ years and sought the feedback services like this provide. Not only did I learn a lot about how my family “inventory” of aptitudes related to each other, but the service went so far as to suggest how this inventory translated into various career choices and, further, assisted in helping me learn how to research the Bureau of Labor and Statistics to help search for fields that would either grow or remain viable in the next 20 or more years.

And before you ask, if the top five fields they recommended I’d be suited for, all but one require a PhD and (probably) a transfer to another state in order to train at top notch facilities and my husband put the big kibosh on that!
ThisLadyHunts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 07:55 PM   #16
caa4612
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhoghunter View Post
Went through this last year. I began to hate the job I had loved for so long and it began to change me and impact my family and health.

The one thing that helped me was creating a career timeline. I started from day one and listed everything I had done, all the different events I experienced, all classes and certs, etc.

Then I went back and listed all the skills, abilities, and knowledge that developed over that time. After I had completed that exercise, I realized I had a lot that could translate across multiple areas. You will be surprised once you see your ďlifeĒ on paperÖ

Then I started to search fields that interested me and built resumes specifically for each. If a job came along that I felt was interesting, I applied. The most important lesson I learned was to have confidence in yourself and your skills.

Changing careers is scary, especially at 50+ but I can honestly say it was the right thing to do.

If I can do anything to help, please donít hesitate to ask.

I never thought of doing the things you mentioned but I like it! Iím a VP at my company with a pretty intense non compete. The field I am in is very interesting and there arenít a lot of guys left with 20+ years experience. Problem is the non compete and I want to change industries so my experience becomes less valuable. I do think one area I could improve on is tailoring my resume to specific jobs. Writing a resume sucks and is not easy, much less doing several of them!

Old 09-23-2022, 08:13 PM   #17
Rotney
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa4612 View Post
I never thought of doing the things you mentioned but I like it! Iím a VP at my company with a pretty intense non compete. The field I am in is very interesting and there arenít a lot of guys left with 20+ years experience. Problem is the non compete and I want to change industries so my experience becomes less valuable. I do think one area I could improve on is tailoring my resume to specific jobs. Writing a resume sucks and is not easy, much less doing several of them!

Has Texas Law changed, non competes donít hold up in Texas since itís a right to work state.

I could be wrong, been a while since I faced it.
Rotney is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 08:16 PM   #18
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotney View Post
Has Texas Law changed, non competes donít hold up in Texas since itís a right to work state.

Interesting. I had never heard about this.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:23 PM   #19
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Quote:

The way I understood it is there must be adequate consideration for a noncompete to be enforceable.
Not a lawyer but I have had to pay said consideration on occasion

Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 08:24 PM   #20
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
Have you considered using an aptitude testing service? (The science behind this process is fascinating.)

I retired from a career Iíd been in for 30+ years and sought the feedback services like this provide. Not only did I learn a lot about how my family ďinventoryĒ of aptitudes related to each other, but the service went so far as to suggest how this inventory translated into various career choices and, further, assisted in helping me learn how to research the Bureau of Labor and Statistics to help search for fields that would either grow or remain viable in the next 20 or more years.

And before you ask, if the top five fields they recommended Iíd be suited for, all but one require a PhD and (probably) a transfer to another state in order to train at top notch facilities and my husband put the big kibosh on that!
Funny thing,

I took an aptitude test and it recommended my current job It wasn't a service, just a few different tests I found online
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 08:28 PM   #21
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
Funny thing,

I took an aptitude test and it recommended my current job It wasn't a service, just a few different tests I found online

Thatís funny, of the top five careers the tests revealed I was best suited for, four of them required PhDs and the fifth one was the career Iíd just spent 30+ years exhausting!

Weird, huh!
Old 09-23-2022, 08:42 PM   #22
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

Quote:
Thatís funny, of the top five careers the tests revealed I was best suited for, four of them required PhDs and the fifth one was the career Iíd just spent 30+ years exhausting!

Weird, huh!
Pretty well confirms that the test is relatively accurate.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 10:49 PM   #23
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Quote:
Not quiet that fast but within a week or two of leaving the plant I was learning how

Yes Carrier, spent 12 years out there. Majority was in the coil shop

No doubt God had a lot to do with me going back to school because a bunch of things have to line up and mesh to be able to quit a full time job with a wife and 2 little kids and spend a semester not working much at all
Good for you & great career field to transition into. High demand field
Old 09-23-2022, 10:54 PM   #24
HogHunter34
Ten Point

I took an aptitude test & results showed I wouldn’t even qualify as a door greeter at Walmart
Go figure
Old 09-24-2022, 12:13 AM   #25
caa4612
Six Point

Quote:

Maybe they donítÖ.BUT a former employer can lawyer up and prevent you from working until you lawyer up and fight it. It may never go to court but the company has deeper pockets. I know what my company would do. Iíve been on one side of that fence, and that was just a salesperson, not an upper management position.

Old 09-24-2022, 10:11 AM   #26
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
I took an aptitude test & results showed I wouldnít even qualify as a door greeter at Walmart
Go figure
Not sure if you are joking or not, but Im not. I did one online a few years ago and it said I should be a soldering technician! Seriously? Guess I shouldnt have started and run this company....
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2022, 10:26 AM   #27
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
Not sure if you are joking or not, but Im not. I did one online a few years ago and it said I should be a soldering technician! Seriously? Guess I shouldnt have started and run this company....

Iíve never taken one.
Iíve taken the personality test & it came back smart arse
Old 09-24-2022, 05:25 PM   #28
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Quote:

Most non compete clauses are not worth the paper they are written on.
Howeer the legal costs of fighthing the worthless things are what will keep you from challenging

I see reps that jump companies, go to another market to train on the new company's product, then return when noncompete time has expired
Old 09-26-2022, 10:10 AM   #29
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Right to work is not even in the same discussion as non-compete.

In right to work employers cannot give preference to union membership, so being in a union is not a requirement to be hired. You have the right to work if you are qualified.

Non-compete is generally required for people with special skill sets or marketing that protects the company when someone leaves - it keeps that person from stealing their customers or selling their knowledge about special systems.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 10:27 AM   #30
PoppinPiggies
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
Right to work is not even in the same discussion as non-compete.

In right to work employers cannot give preference to union membership, so being in a union is not a requirement to be hired. You have the right to work if you are qualified.

Non-compete is generally required for people with special skill sets or marketing that protects the company when someone leaves - it keeps that person from stealing their customers or selling their knowledge about special systems.
This ^
The company I work for has successfully used our Non-Compete clause in court here in Texas.
PoppinPiggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 05:54 PM   #31
coldtrail
Spike

Do what you like and find a way to make a living at it.
coldtrail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 07:19 PM   #32
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldtrail View Post
Do what you like and find a way to make a living at it.

Sitting buck nekked on the couch, posting on TBH all day, and getting paid for it.

Iím 2/3rds of the way there. Just waiting on the $$$
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 07:50 PM   #33
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Waller County, Rocksprings and "H"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Sitting buck nekked on the couch, posting on TBH all day, and getting paid for it.

Lol
You forgot eating a bowl of Cheerios too
kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 08:26 PM   #34
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:

Itís because of visuals like this that I drink.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:30 PM   #35
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Quote:

You should be a sponsor. You are my hero
Old 09-26-2022, 08:33 PM   #36
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Quote:
Itís because of visuals like this that I drink.
Youíll probably need to see double to see anything
Old 09-26-2022, 09:39 PM   #37
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Youíll probably need to see double to see anything
Iíd be offended if it wasnít true.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:02 PM   #38
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Itís because of visuals like this that I dream.

Sweet dreams

Old 09-27-2022, 10:29 PM   #39
MUZZYSLINGR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home and wherever i can

Quote:

Did you graduate from the RT program at TJC or Kilgore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MUZZYSLINGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top