Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-23-2022, 08:42 AM   #1
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County
Default Who else is ready

7 days from now I will be headed to camp to get one more nights rest before the opener. I have not been so ready to get out in the woods with my bow in a long time. I have two good shooter bucks, problem is they are still coming in at night most of the time. A couple times a week they come in during daylight. I think with the cooler temps next week I may see them in the day light. That last little cool spell we had they seemed to come in before dark. I have three spots that pretty much surround their bedding and sanctuary area in which nobody ever goes or walks and I can hunt one of three stands on any wind and have fantastic access routes into each. Tomorrow I will go out around lunch and put more rice bran and alfalfa out and then I will stay out of the area all together until I sneak into one of the spots opening morning. I am hoping pigs dont break into my feed pen between now and then, They did two days ago and I had to go fix it. They have been horrible this year.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 09:09 AM   #2
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

I hunt behind the house

1) I have not seen anything on camera that excites me
2) The weather is still warm

But I will be sitting in a tree next Saturday morning about 45min before legal light. Probably have the thermacell running too

Once it starts cooling off I will be more interested, plus when the rut starts you get the wildcards showing up

In the meantime, pigs beware
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 09:09 AM   #3
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: currently looking

I have no where to go this year, may give public land ago since i cant find a lease that fits.
Good Luck Sir!
kruppa24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 09:20 AM   #4
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
I hunt behind the house

But I will be sitting in a tree next Saturday morning about 45min before legal light. Probably have the thermacell running too

Once it starts cooling off I will be more interested, plus when the rut starts you get the wildcards showing up

Sounds like me
Iíll be hunting my place here in Cherokee county
Got a bow hunting spot & rifle stand set
Not much on camera worthy of receiving an arrow
Too warm & dry
Hoping for rain to get a couple of food plots in but not looking promising for October plant
Good luck to all
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 09:27 AM   #5
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Due to the bad drought out west, even with protein feeding, it looks like its going to be a "take out the trash and some doe mouths" year letting some of the deer we have that are down go another year. Since I usually let my buddies' kids shoot my mgmt deer and does, I may not even trip a string this year on a deer (pigs watch out though). I'm not real excited about the killing because of this but I am excited about getting out in the woods to watch, being in deer camp and being a solid camp *****..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 09:36 AM   #6
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

I’m excited about season but won’t start really hunting until around Thanksgiving. I’ll go maybe once or twice before that to shoot does and see if I can’t get my daughter on a management deer. Our deer are looking really good, even though we had a severe drought. We’ve had a bunch of rain in the last month or so, and it’s really greened up, deer aren’t moving much.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #7
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Due to the bad drought out west, even with protein feeding, it looks like its going to be a "take out the trash and some doe mouths" year letting some of the deer we have that are down go another year. Since I usually let my buddies' kids shoot my mgmt deer and does, I may not even trip a string this year on a deer (pigs watch out though). I'm not real excited about the killing because of this but I am excited about getting out in the woods to watch, being in deer camp and being a solid camp *****..
Yes you Pigs better watch out for Smart. He will be out there once every 3 months. So be alert.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #8
CentralTXHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt & Val Verde Counties

Iím ready, but I donít have many targets. Deer have been sporadic at my bow hunting place in DeWitt county and nothing that trips my trigger anyway. Val Verde county you never know what might show up there. Regardless, Iíll be in my little bow box before sunrise in DeWitt on Saturday and thankful to the Lord for the opportunities he provides and the breath in my lungs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CentralTXHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 09:48 AM   #9
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Quote:
Take up the single string. It puts you back into that any deer is your trophy mode.
I got so sick of the horns chasing game and always something between me and that unobtainable "trophy buck".
I shot a doe last night and I had buck fever like a kid. In Africa I was shaking like a leaf.
If only the bone is the meaning of your satisfaction in the hunt okay. But doing it the harder way can change that for you.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 09:48 AM   #10
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie

I am definitely having mixed emotions about being ready
^^^ like smart we got hammered with drought, and everything is hurting except the raccoons, who have kept tearing up stuff , bow season is over for me due to a hernia and then a torn muscle in my neck, one day of rain labor day ruined dove hunting
Being in camp , friendly banter and adult beverages, I am definitely ready
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #11
Walker
Pope & Young

We went down Tuesday and filled the feeder and set up my son's popup. I'll be sitting unarmed in his tower blind to watch the show. Son made the statement that if its still roasting hot he was only going to hunt mornings..
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 10:10 AM   #12
TD2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Star TX

In our case the work begins and it almost becomes a job with 75 doe tags to fill on MLDP

But with the price of meat, it is time to fill the freezers
TD2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 10:12 AM   #13
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma, TX

I just picked up my bow again last weekend. I won't go to my OK lease until late Oct. 2 years ago it was freezing and snowing and last year on the same weekend it was 95 and windy. Hoping the weather cooperates because I can only go when I can so just have to deal with whatever it is. Good luck to you boys hunting in your undies with the thermacells on full blast.
HoustonHunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #14
HogHunter34
Ten Point

It’s interesting to read the different experiences related to drought & it’s impact
I’ve hunted East Tx my whole life and back in 2011 drought that season I had the most deer (including bucks) I’ve ever seen at my feeder
At one point up to 7 different bucks feeding off & on which is not normal
Most years I might see 3 different bucks feeding off & on
It was so dry & every thing dead they had limited food source
Even missed an opportunity to take my biggest bow buck
Hadn’t been that good since
We’ve had more rain that many parts of the state this year. We are moderate dry so it will be interesting to see how this season plays out
Old 09-23-2022, 10:37 AM   #15
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
Itís interesting to read the different experiences related to drought & itís impact
Iíve hunted East Tx my whole life and back in 2011 drought that season I had the most deer (including bucks) Iíve ever seen at my feeder
At one point up to 7 different bucks feeding off & on which is not normal
Most years I might see 3 different bucks feeding off & on
It was so dry & every thing dead they had limited food source
Even missed an opportunity to take my biggest bow buck
Hadnít been that good since
Weíve had more rain that many parts of the state this year. We are moderate dry so it will be interesting to see how this season plays out

Here in Polk County we had a great year despite the drought. This spring was green and it didnt dry up till late in the antler growing season and even then it was just moist enough do some good. Then we got rain a few weeks ago to green stuff back up. I feel East Texas will have a tremendous season
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #16
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cool places with Cool people

I will be skipping the opener as Texas has a home football game. Yall guys have fun in deer camp.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 10:48 AM   #17
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: HF4L

I'm not going until the high temps are are 80* or less. Y'all get ya some!
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 10:55 AM   #18
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

I’m ready but I’ve only seen 1 shooter buck and that’s only because he has 1 unbranched antler. Does are starting to warm up so I may get a better shooter in range. Never the less I’ll be in the ground blind watching plenty of deer. If the opportunity arises I will be killing not harvesting lol.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 10:55 AM   #19
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

Too hot for me. Usually November first. On a side note... I don't get the "just picked up my bow" crowd. I thoroughly enjoy shooting year round.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 10:57 AM   #20
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the World

I’m ready to shoot a few does with my recurve.

Don’t know if I’ll get a buck this year or not, but I’m gonna out down some does.
txtrophy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 10:59 AM   #21
Mike Fangman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranger & Kerrville

Ill be sitting in my tripod, next Saturday morning, not super hopeful and cant do anything about the weather, but at least I'm there. The two good shooter bucks are mostly nocturnal, but I have lots of pigs to sling arrows at.
Mike Fangman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 11:22 AM   #22
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
Too hot for me. Usually November first. On a side note... I don't get the "just picked up my bow" crowd. I thoroughly enjoy shooting year round.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Every time I go out to hunt, I just picked up my bow to head out
I get what you are saying
I’m not a big shooter in terms of slinging lots of arrows frequently as I loosen up more & more my shot can tend to vary

I try my best to simulate hunting so I shoot one arrow cold & then follow with another just to make sure I’m consistent
Then I’ll put bow down & try again later (not days later but either a couple of hours or next day)
I also practice shooting from elevated position & on a 3D deer target.
I also move the target facing different directions & at different angles to add some variation to the shot relative to deer target distance, standing position & angle to practice different shots
Old 09-23-2022, 11:24 AM   #23
PoppinPiggies
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay County

I'm ready to rock and roll. Haven't been able to find where I put my range finder but I know all the distances to the feeders and pens so should be able to get by if I still can't find it by opener.
PoppinPiggies is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 11:33 AM   #24
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackelford Co,

I'm not quite ready in several ways. I just picked up my longbow again after a six month layoff. That's by far the longest I've gone without shooting since switching to trad - I've shot several times a weeks for 10 years. It will take me a while to get dialed in enough to be confident shooting at deer. I'm also not getting excited due to lack of targets, and the heat. I'm sure I'll get my motivation back at some point, if nothing else just to go out and spend some cool weekends in the country and who knows, maybe some deer will show up
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 11:38 AM   #25
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

Quote:
Jason the Killa has a 160+ coming in every day. I bet he would let you come hunt that deer being that conditions have been rough for ya.
Gumbo Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 01:14 PM   #26
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
Jason the Killa has a 160+ coming in every day. I bet he would let you come hunt that deer being that conditions have been rough for ya.

Iím afraid what the payback may be if he lets me watch them with him.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:19 PM   #27
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Take up the single string. It puts you back into that any deer is your trophy mode.
I got so sick of the horns chasing game and always something between me and that unobtainable "trophy buck".
I shot a doe last night and I had buck fever like a kid. In Africa I was shaking like a leaf.
If only the bone is the meaning of your satisfaction in the hunt okay. But doing it the harder way can change that for you.

Good idea for someÖ. But if I see an old mature mgmt deer, I will
pursue him with the vengeance of any trophy on our place even with a compound. If I draw on anything the buckfever kicks in like the first timeÖ. Buck, doe pig or turkey. Iím just not seeing anything right now that trips my trigger and Iíd much rather see some kids get their first or best buck than me shoot one just because. Ö I get more from the kids doing it than myself these days.

Last edited by Smart; 09-23-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:21 PM   #28
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I have no idea whats around. Finally gonna drop some corn in the barrels this weekend and may put some cams out. Not super excited about sitting in the tree or blind when its 90.

Once kiddo comes home for break I'll be up there often
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 08:18 PM   #29
Toddcaster
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo State Park, Morgan Mill

Starting back after about a )7 year layoff. Got a new bow I’m really excited about. Got an invite yesterday to bow hunt where I usually gun hunt. I won’t get to hunt til the third week of October but this place isn’t leased and I will be the only bow hunter.
Toddcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 08:26 PM   #30
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

I'm getting some regular customers at my feeder but no antlers so far. I still have some venison from last year so not sure if I'll shoot a doe right off the bat.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 12:23 AM   #31
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Quote:
Good idea for someÖ. But if I see an old mature mgmt deer, I will
pursue him with the vengeance of any trophy on our place even with a compound. If I draw on anything the buckfever kicks in like the first timeÖ. Buck, doe pig or turkey. Iím just not seeing anything right now that trips my trigger and Iíd much rather see some kids get their first or best buck than me shoot one just because. Ö I get more from the kids doing it than myself these days.
With a full freezer I'm kinda in the same place.
Please please let there be pigs.

DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 12:55 AM   #32
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Hogg, Kennedy County

I’ll be getting my brush hog on. If it’s cool enough in the evening I may jump in one of my tripods. If not, there’s cold beer and something to grill at camp. Mostly going to be a work weekend. I usually don’t get to enthused until we get a front that lasts more than 12 hours.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 03:35 AM   #33
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Broke parent kids baseball club

Quote:
Some of my best hill country hunts were in drought years. The deer were standing on the feed pen fence just waiting for that ***** to spin! Donít write it off just yet! Longhorns? Who knows
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 06:43 AM   #34
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Meh…same as every year. Hard for me to get excited with early season. Now come November,me and the state of Kansas are gonna be good buddies!
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 07:12 AM   #35
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

There are only so many opening days in a lifetime. Every one you pass on is one you will never make up.

Kill or no kill. It is still opening day
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 07:52 AM   #36
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I’m not hunting for a couple weeks at least. So hot I have no desire to even practice much less sit in a tree.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 08:37 AM   #37
BayouCat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gulf Coast

Bucks took a hit where I hunt (NW hill country). Lots of bucks I've been following for a few years really took a hit from the drought and tines are pencil thin and beams lack the mass they should. Body weight isn't where it should be either. Numbers have been good at the protein feeders though but that hasn't been enough. Our biologist wants us to pass on most of these bucks and take out does and hogs, which is fine by me. Love this time of year and hoping something good pops out of the woods come rut.
BayouCat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 05:57 PM   #38
coldtrail
Spike

Hogs and coyotes still thriving where Im at, unfortunately
coldtrail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 06:39 PM   #39
elhefe
Ten Point

I am, kinda. I’ll be at the Penn State game this weekend so it will be several weeks till I can hunt. Like others, this heat takes some of the fun out of it
elhefe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 07:59 PM   #40
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
There are only so many opening days in a lifetime. Every one you pass on is one you will never make up.

Kill or no kill. It is still opening day
This right here. The deer don't care if the weather isn't perfect

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 08:07 PM   #41
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Being a shift worker for 25 years I missed a lot of openers. Now that I am in a day position I plan on changing that.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 08:20 PM   #42
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

I have no idea what animals may or may not show up. But i intend to be in a tripod on Saturday morning. If for no other reason than to experience a quiet sunrise and watch one little slice of the world wake up. I've just got to get out of town.

I've been practicing. Tonight my second group of arrows knocked my target over. So i challenged my self to hit the open part of the 'p'. I'll take it. Let the games begin.
Attached Images

mikemorvan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 08:27 PM   #43
retrieverman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I’m leaving Wednesday for my place in NW Oklahoma, and to be honest, I’m not really excited. I’ve got 3 cell cams running and only one buck that I might think about shooting. I’m hoping there might be something on one of the four non cell cams, but I won’t know that until I get there.
The heat definitely isn’t helping my excitement, because I hate sweating and swatting mosquitoes in a deer stand.
retrieverman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 08:28 PM   #44
N.DaWoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
I hunt behind the house

This is me too!
N.DaWoods is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 09:03 PM   #45
Aggiebush
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County and Draw Hunts

I hate missing opening weekend, and will e sitting in one of my bow stands Saturday morning. Only one for sure shooter on camera so far, but he’s a beast. Will probably try for a doe if I get the chance, my son is staying home with mama this weekend.
Aggiebush is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 10:11 PM   #46
Shough
Eight Point

Hunt In: Newcastle

I am ready for 4-5 days at the lease. Yes it’s warmer than I would like but a warm day hunting is much better than a cool day in the office! Besides I have 2 bucks coming that will go mid 140’s which is about as big as they get at our place. Hunting, camp fires, good food. Yes I am looking forward to this weekend
Shough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 10:12 PM   #47
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

Good friend of mine decided to get married in Vegas this weekend, so I have to miss opening weekend. Sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 10:42 PM   #48
Jon B
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

I'm starting to feel it. It will be like every other opener.....hot. I haven't seen a single thing to get me excited yet.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 11:01 PM   #49
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: SouthTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shough View Post
I am ready for 4-5 days at the lease. Yes itís warmer than I would like but a warm day hunting is much better than a cool day in the office! Besides I have 2 bucks coming that will go mid 140ís which is about as big as they get at our place. Hunting, camp fires, good food. Yes I am looking forward to this weekend
Like it.
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 11:50 PM   #50
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampa View Post
Some of my best hill country hunts were in drought years. The deer were standing on the feed pen fence just waiting for that ***** to spin! Donít write it off just yet! Longhorns? Who knows

No doubtÖ but the almost 5 inches of rain in August has the place greened up and loaded with forbs. Havenít seen the acorns yet. Feeder activity is already slowing.

AndÖ if the deer do eventually show back up in droves. Their horns wonít be there after the drought for almost 100% of the growing season this year. Weíll make lemonade from
lemons somehow though. . So far itís a big on my Coverts