Tough lesson about arrows / Amazon vs Barnett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough lesson about arrows / Amazon vs Barnett

I'm fairly new to hunting with arrows, and my buddies got me into it using a crossbow. The old timer in the group has always pushed just to get a mid-range crossbow with the cheapest arrows and broadheads you can find on Amazon because they all shoot the same. I've been skeptical of that logic, but him and one of the other guys have successfully taken out some hogs and deer using those Amazon arrows/broadheads, so I try to remember I'm the newbie of the group, shut up, and listen.

I've been frustrated with how I can be a pretty good shot with target shooting, but when it comes time to apply everything, I'm completely missing a lot of my shots. I have a pretty strong background in firearms, so I certainly know how to shoot a crossbow under pressure. I finally had it with the difference in performing between my backyard and out in the woods so I've ventured away from the old timers advice and started doing my own research. Some of y'all may already know what's about to happen.

I've learned about the weights with arrows and broadheads, and everything associated. I bought an archery scale and got to work. I found out all of my Amazon arrows from the same pack ranged from 320 - 375 grains!! The Amazon broadheads are 104 grains, and it turns out all this time that my practice tips were 125 grains. That's already two problems because I don't have consistency in weight, and my practice tips are heavier than my broadheads. To get consistency, I went out and bought a few Barnett arrows so I would know I have consistency and equipment that is intended to be used together. Then I bought some 125 Grain G5 Striker V2 broadheads so I would have consistency and quality all the way.

With that change, I re-weighed everything. My new Barnett/G5 arrows are weighing in at 440 - 441 grains across the board. I finally tried the hunting arrows AND practice arrows in my BLOCK Infinity Crossbow target. My old Amazon special practice arrows wound up shooting around 8-10 inches lower than my Amazon special hunting arrows. Oddly, the Amazon hunting arrows were also a bigger grouping than my practice arrows. That solves why I was missing so much! I hated to be that guy who blames the misses on his arrows, but it really was my arrows! Seeing that was like immediate vindication and a feeling of hope moving forward.

As to the new Barnett/G5 combo - Initial impression is my grouping has tightened up. Using Barnett/Barnett practice tips - my practice arrows are landing in the same grouping as my hunting arrows which they should have been doing all along. Just for good measure, I also picked up some of the Barnett illuminated arrows juuuuust in case I'm still having problems.

So guys - I should have followed my gut all along. When I was told just to get the cheapest arrows I could find on amazon because they all shoot the same, I should have followed my gut and started my research then.
    Last edited by Lost10mm; 09-16-2022, 08:21 PM.

Right. Excellent tinkering Sir.
    Just like a consistent rifle cartridge dope that gets dialed in.
    Keep on keeping on. Your current setup may not be your final setup….or may be.

Consider picking up a 40-45 lb longbow. You sound like you could dial in pretty quick.
    Good skilling MrMM.

Comment

Thankyou Brian! I may play around with a few broadheads, but at least now I have all my weights figured out. I've been interested in a long or compound bow so those will be in my future.

Comment

Amazon arrow stuff scares me! I've seen bolts from Amazon that flex like a wet noodle. Real easy to blow up a crossbow doing that.

Most crossbows benefit from shooting a shaft without very much flex. I know theres still archers paradox, but a lot of that is eaten up by the fact that it launches from a rail.

The stiffer they are the more accurate they tend to be from the higher energy bows it seems. They're expensive, but I've had better luck with Black Eagle versus some of the Barnett stuff. And surprisingly, the .003 green Centerpoint bolts are really accurate out of my excalibur.

Glad you got that sorted out!
        Last edited by Kirby86; 09-17-2022, 04:22 PM.

Comment

I may pick up a box of black eagle or centerpoints at some point just to see how they compare on the target block. Thanks for the tip!

I hadn't yet heard of the Amazon specials flexing like that, but that is crazy about the damage it can do. I think my crossbow is pushing about 400 FPS, so that would be a crappy day.
          Last edited by Lost10mm; 09-17-2022, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X