No announcement yet.

Good Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another very way-back "historical novel" series we discussed at Vanderpool is Jane Auel's "Clan of the Cave Bear" series.

There are six books in the series, but in my opinion the first three ("The Clan of the Cave Bear", "The Valley of Horses", "The Mammoth Hunters") are the only ones worth reading.

The first book is the best. In it a young Cro Magnon (homo sapien) girl is raised by a tribe of Neanderthals. It describes a very interesting theory regarding the differences between the physiology and function of the Neanderthal brain Vs the modern brain. In it our little heroine invents and masters the sling and starting fires with flint and iron ore.

In the second book our now grown up heroine invents the domesticated wolf, the domesticated horse, riding horses, and the Atl Atl (and you thought Ol' Man did that).

Lots of flint knapping occurs throughout.
    Last edited by fletcherfor2; 04-18-2010, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I know - old thread - but had to bring it back to life to say I just finished reading The Archer's Tale and Vagabond and am starting on Heretic now. So far, it's been awesome reading! Cornwell really knows his history! And for those who've already read Vagabond, I couldn't help but use Loco Cacahuate's quote in the original post as part of my signature. At the rate I'm going, I'll be glad if it takes me only 10 years to begin getting good at this!

May have to try the Wilbur Smith's Egyptian Series that Fletcherfor2 mentioned once I'm done with Cornwell's Medieval warfare books....

Comment

I just finished these. They are great and the archery stuff is fascinating to me.

Comment

thanks for the reading material

Comment

I read Azincourt a long time ago. I remember it being a good book. Pretty graphic in places, though, but I guess that's reality sometimes.

Juliet Barker also has a good book called Agincourt that's well worth reading.

Comment

Working...
            X