Gopher hawk use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gopher hawk use

About to purchase my first gopher hawk. I have a lot of gophers to kill. Any suggestions to help? How long does it normally take to catch a mole or gopher? Another words if I don’t catch one say in one hour I should try another tunnel? Now that we are getting some rain it looks like the best time to get after them.

Neat grabber. Let us know how it goes...

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
      About to purchase my first gopher hawk. I have a lot of gophers to kill. Any suggestions to help? How long does it normally take to catch a mole or gopher? Another words if I don’t catch one say in one hour I should try another tunnel? Now that we are getting some rain it looks like the best time to get after them.

They work great. Can normally catch first set every time. Get the probe and follow instructions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

There's no set time that you can count on. Sometimes I've caught one in less than an hour, while other times it may take overnight. If I haven't caught anything in 24 hrs., I'll try another mound.

Comment

These can be used repeatedly?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
            These can be used repeatedly?

Yes

Comment

My mom can catch the heck out of them with the gopher Hawk. They fill it with dirt every time I've used them.

Comment

Just depends on how long it takes for them to come
                Back through the tunnel. They are great traps!

Comment

Never heard of it so watched some YouTube vids. Pretty cool contraption.

Comment

If you want to know more about them then watch YouTube! As far as how long does it take , how long is a piece of string ;-)! I’ve caught them within 5 minutes after setting them but sometimes you get a very mature Trophy gopher and it’ll pack the trap cage with dirt lol- but the same thing happens with those old school spring traps. Do not get your finger caught in the cage messing around with it. Gophers can not stand a dirty tunnel so keep your hole clean. Once you probe and find a tunnel use the provided rod to make the hole for the trap and if you have loose soil , take your time and wallow it around a bit while inserting- this will pack the loose soil a bit and keep too much dirt from falling in the tunnel. Read the directions! Place the trap in the hole all the way to the bottom , hold the top end with one hand and pull the spring end UP. My grandkids love these traps. Once you catch one and If you have a weak stomach then dig a little around the trap so you can get them out easier ( they may only have an front leg trapped and pulling a freshly ripped off front leg out could be bad). It’s like caddy shack where I live lol! Also, some of the tunnels are very deep so check the depth on the probe, mark it and you may have to remove a little bit of soil to set it deep enough- I’ve only had this happen Once and I use them all of the time. Once I get them out of the hole I just shove them back down in there and pack the soil good - great fertilizer.
                    Last edited by Bucknaked; 08-28-2022, 04:09 PM.

Comment

If I don’t catch in 24hrs I move. Moles are very hard for me to catch…. Now dirt mice, I hammer them!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Low Fence; 08-28-2022, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        If I don’t catch in 24hrs I move. Moles are very hard for me to catch…. Now dirt mice, I hammer them!
                        Wow! Just look at the teeth and claws on those two! I'd bet they's a 1200 lbs each!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                          Do not get your finger caught in the cage messing around with it.
                          Sounds like a man speaking from experience. 😀

Comment

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. If we get some rain it will help keeping the tunnel clean while setting the trap

Comment

Screw the point thing I ordered me a 1-5/8 I think it was auger on Amazon. I probe for the tunnel then run that auger in with my drill. That whole trying to woller out a whole with that plastic thing is just a reason to cuss more than I already do.

Comment

Working...
                              X