6.5 Grendel Ammo Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Grendel Ammo Questions

I'm looking to build a 6.5 Grendel specifically for coyotes. Going with an AR platform and planning on an 18" barrel and probably a 1:8 twist. I'll be running it suppressed so I really don't want to go over 18". Most shots will be at night with the thermal so I'm not really looking to shoot past 300 yards (most shots will be within 200 or less)

I'm trying to find the right grain and type ammo to run that's going to give me good, quick expansion on yotes. I'm not worried about hides as we are hunting contests so I'm looking to put dogs down quick

I've looked at:
    123 Grain Hornady Black--readily available--read no so great things about the expansion
    123 Grain Hornady Custom SST
    115 Grain Barnes Vor-tx TAC-TX BT
    110 Grain Underwood Controlled Chaos
    90 Grain Federal TNT HPs

Any real world feedback from you guys on these rounds?
    Any others I should consider or other thoughts you have?

I'd like to pair it down to the top 2-3 performers when it comes to putting coyotes down then figure out what runs best out of the gun.

Thanks

I tried the 115gr. Barnes TAC-TX on deer with less than stellar results. Shot 2 does and didn't recover either of them. Apparently my AR (12" pistol) didn't get enough velocity for those to expand. Switched to the 123 gr. Hornady Custom SST and have hammered numerous pigs with phenomenal results. That is what I would recommend. I don't have any experience with the others listed.

Comment

I have had good results with the 123 Hornady SST. I have lost 1 hog I hit with them, but 8 others were easily recovered.

Comment

They are coyotes. Any Grendel ammo will work. Better to see what your barrel likes best.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
          They are coyotes. Any Grendel ammo will work. Better to see what your barrel likes best.
          Whatever is cheapest. If there is any chance you'll deer hunt with it get the SST'S

Comment

I'm on a similar path, going with 12" barrel, suppressed, and thermal scope. Everything is ready to go, once I find some ammo. Been watching ammo seek for months now, looking out for 123 SST. I think that I picked that based on other's input. Unfortunately, new gun, never fired, and don't know for sure that it will like the SSTs. I can find Wolf 100Gr. hardball all day long, maybe I should just try some, it's just coyotes and pigs (as said above)

Comment

The grendel needs lighter bullets to really shine. But I’ve killed a ton of pigs with the 123 SST and ELDM. It’ll work for deer. Anything will work on a varmint lol. Lacks some knockdown on bigger running hogs, but most small frame AR calibers do.

Where are you seeing ammo options? Lol.

Comment

123 SST out of my 18" has been deadly on a good number of hill country deer and pigs. Most of them don't run, and those that do have been recovered easily. That said, I've got a compadre who's had worse luck with them. They're definitely the go to IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by GregO View Post
                  I'm on a similar path, going with 12" barrel, suppressed, and thermal scope. Everything is ready to go, once I find some ammo. Been watching ammo seek for months now, looking out for 123 SST. I think that I picked that based on other's input. Unfortunately, new gun, never fired, and don't know for sure that it will like the SSTs. I can find Wolf 100Gr. hardball all day long, maybe I should just try some, it's just coyotes and pigs (as said above)
                  If you want to try some SSTs let me know. I'll sell you a box at cost if you come out to Liberty Hill.

Comment

Originally posted by GregO View Post
                    I would suggest buying up at least 5-10 boxes if you find it. Chances are, you'll like it. If not, there are plenty of others who would take it off your hands for what you paid for it.

Comment

I shoot the 123 Hornady Black and have had zero issue's. Killed everything I've always shot at.

God Bless
                      Bish

Comment

I have a 12” SBR with a SiCo Omega and it likes the 120 grain Federal Fusion.

Comment

I would look for 95 grain Vmax rounds. Get the velocity up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Id like to try something lighter this year. Maybe the ballistic tip. Ive shot a handful of deer and lots of hogs with the 123 sst and ELD. The deer were mostly all shot behind the shoulder and almost all went 50-100yds with no exit and no blood trail. Had a number of pigs do the same. Id like a more DRT round or something that will leave lots of blood to follow. This is out of an 18" grendel

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                              Id like to try something lighter this year. Maybe the ballistic tip. Ive shot a handful of deer and lots of hogs with the 123 sst and ELD. The deer were mostly all shot behind the shoulder and almost all went 50-100yds with no exit and no blood trail. Had a number of pigs do the same. Id like a more DRT round or something that will leave lots of blood to follow. This is out of an 18" grendel
                              Unless you have use for or like shoulder meat hit them high shoulder. They will be DRT.

Comment

Working...
                              X