Severe Drought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Severe Drought

I dont know about y'all but it has dried up around here real bad. Acorns are about half of their normal size and the tanks are extremely low. I have more wildlife activity at my water troughs than I can remember. The dirt is like powder around my place.

Hard to understand some of the folks that move out here, they still burn their trash and brush piles like it aint no big deal. I worry about my little 150 acre place when it gets like this, as I have set aside land with no livestock or production on it. That spot is 70 acres of native brush and post oaks that have been left alone for 17 years. It would burn like paper.

At my lease between Brady and Menard it is the worst I have seen it in the past 20 years on the place. Our big stock tank is dry and its never been dry, not even when we had cattle on the place.. No cattle for the last 2 years and now it is bone dry.. A deer die off is close if we do not get some relief... I'm not sure that some of our fawns aren't already dying.. Found 3 dead so far..

Comment

Yeah its really bad here in Bastrop. I've had two cows get stuck in stock tanks due to them being so low. I'm already pouring the feed and hay out to them, as there isnt a blade of grass to be found. To top it off, our county doesnt qualify for drought assistance through USDA.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        At my lease between Brady and Menard it is the worst I have seen it in the past 20 years on the place. Our big stock tank is dry and its never been dry, not even when we had cattle on the place.. No cattle for the last 2 years and now it is bone dry.. A deer die off is close if we do not get some relief... I'm not sure that some of our fawns aren't already dying.. Found 3 dead so far..

Worse than 2010-2011? We didn't even have grass dead or alive in 2011 and lost a lot of cedars(thankfully).
        Last edited by Smart; 11-20-2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Bandera county is terrible. Medina river totally dry at Hwy 16 crossing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Worse than 2010-2011? We didn't even have grass dead or alive in 2011
            Yes worse!!!! Its BAD, and 2010 was really bad. Man it has rained all around us but there is a dead strip through the county that has seen no rain.. Cactus are turning yellow and trees are dying. In 2010 we a bad die off in September due to blue tongue.. I'm hoping these cooler temps help the situation some but PRAY for rain..

Comment

[ATTACH]1028881[/ATTACH]

Comment

Our place is very dry but no where near 10-11. It is a very bad fall drought though. Not many years that I can remember not even having enough moisture to get oat patches going. We need these winter forbs to pop up and help these animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                  [ATTACH]1028881[/ATTACH]
                  Im in the red circle Below "Texas"..

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                    Our place is very dry but no where near 10-11. It is a very bad fall drought though. Not many years that I can remember not even having enough moisture to get oat patches going. We need these winter forbs to pop up and help these animals.
                    I have oats about 6 inches tall in some spots, but they will dry up here pretty soon and die off. I almost cancelled planting any fall plots, I figured it would be a waste of money and time. Probably should have.

Comment

Yep. Very very bad in areas surrounding Brady.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                        Yes worse!!!! Its BAD, and 2010 was really bad. Man it has rained all around us but there is a dead strip through the county that has seen no rain.. Cactus are turning yellow and trees are dying. In 2010 we a bad die off in September due to blue tongue.. I'm hoping these cooler temps help the situation some but PRAY for rain..

Our place is an oasis compared to 2010-2011 and its dry as hell here too.. We had like 4 /10s in 1.5 years in 2010-2011... dead yellow cactus, dead red cedars, oaks dropping leaves in desperation, no grass. etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Our place is an oasis compared to 2010-2011 and its dry as hell here too.. We had like 4 /10s in 1.5 years in 2010-2011... dead yellow cactus, dead red cedars, oaks dropping leaves in desperation, no grass. etc etc.
                          The oaks that shed their leaves early that year did they survive?

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            The oaks that shed their leaves early that year did they survive?
                            We lost a ton of big mature oaks in Mason that year. Me and dad still are amazed at the dead trees we have. Oak wilt was awful. We need rain too. Luckily we have water wells and a couple big ponds.

Comment

Originally posted by esoct25 View Post
                              Bandera county is terrible. Medina river totally dry at Hwy 16 crossing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
                              Yep Hondo creek bone dry , our new nd is fighting to keep what it has.

Comment

Working...
                              X