New handgun for the ladies in my life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New handgun for the ladies in my life?

I have two young daughters who I would like to raise into shooters and my wife has been talking a lot about shooting recently so I would like to strike while the iron is hot! I am a Glock guy and all I own are a 45ACP and 40S&W which naturally my wife says are too big for her hand. I don't know much about smaller handguns in the market or good calibers for women, Im guessing 9mm and lower... give me some suggestions please!

Sig P365XL

Comment

Kahr CW9 or a PM9 or CM9. You can also get them in 380 as well. Great guns and easy in the pocket book

Comment

Glock 43.

Comment

If introducing new shooters and you can swing it the .22LR pistols are a great way to start them off and get them used to the function, firing, and recoil of shooting a pistol. They are also just plain fun to shoot. I much prefer shooting my ruger 22/45 .22LR over my other pistols.

That said my wife, her sister, my sister, my mom and any woman that has had a chance to shoot my wife's SW MP Shield EZ .380 have all loved it. Light recoil, sized right for their hand, and easy to function. You can bump up to the 9mm version, but I took the approach of rounds on target shot accurately are better than a higher powered round not on target. And a .380 is much easier to shoot accurately and quickly. Plus with the size of it my wife can carry it easily and does a great job of wearing it daily since it is small enough to hide easily and comfortably.

Everyone always talks about just buy them what they want. This is complete horse hockey to me. My wife was hell bent on getting a bigger heavier double stack 9mm with a metal frame to carry. I refuse to budge having actually carried a pistol previously and got her the other one instead. About a month into she admitted she was glad I got her the light smaller one as she couldn't imagine carrying something bigger or heavier, and I know she wouldn't have carried it.

Comment

Hell I personally carry a little bity old SW Bodyguard .380. But it is super comfortable to carry so I will actually carry it. I tried carrying bigger framed pistols and just couldn't comfortably make it work so I down sized and now carry religiously. 13 rds of .380 isn't something I think any one is going to want to deal with and better to have that than the 9mm that I was leaving at home all the time.

Comment

H&K VPSK9— do yourself a favor and just hold it before you decide.

Comment

I handled a Sig 9mm and would love to have one. Fit my hand perfectly. Not sure what model but it was a smaller pistol. Had the great night sights.

Comment

SCCY 9mm. Very affordable and they can pick one of their girly colors.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                    If introducing new shooters and you can swing it the .22LR pistols are a great way to start them off and get them used to the function, firing, and recoil of shooting a pistol. They are also just plain fun to shoot. I much prefer shooting my ruger 22/45 .22LR over my other pistols.

That said my wife, her sister, my sister, my mom and any woman that has had a chance to shoot my wife's SW MP Shield EZ .380 have all loved it. Light recoil, sized right for their hand, and easy to function. You can bump up to the 9mm version, but I took the approach of rounds on target shot accurately are better than a higher powered round not on target. And a .380 is much easier to shoot accurately and quickly. Plus with the size of it my wife can carry it easily and does a great job of wearing it daily since it is small enough to hide easily and comfortably.

Everyone always talks about just buy them what they want. This is complete horse hockey to me. My wife was hell bent on getting a bigger heavier double stack 9mm with a metal frame to carry. I refuse to budge having actually carried a pistol previously and got her the other one instead. About a month into she admitted she was glad I got her the light smaller one as she couldn't imagine carrying something bigger or heavier, and I know she wouldn't have carried it.
                    This. Start them on .22s.

Then move them up to a medium frame .357 magnum shooting .38 Special wadcutter loads. Then standard .38 loads. The assess where they're at before making the jump to an automatic.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by Chase0305 View Post
                      SCCY 9mm. Very affordable and they can pick one of their girly colors.
                      My beautiful bride is 4'11 and loves the SCCY and they are made in the U.S.

Comment

Girls...and beginners.
                        Any revolver they like.

Comment

My wife and one daughter who shoot occasionally can handle and enjoy shooting a Glock 19...not so much a Glock 43.

Neither can reliably work the slide on either gun though.

They both like and are comfortable with 22 revolvers and pistols. I would definitely start with a 22. Something like a Ruger sr22 or S&W MP.

Comment

First off start with a 9, 43X is an excellent size for women’s hands but is not a tiny gun. Don’t buy a tiny pocket gun they are also terrible for new shooters. 43x if you want something slim, a G19 or G17 if you want a full size. Recoil will be less with the full sized guns, my GF shoots all of my 9’s like a champ and loves it. 19, 320x, and M&P’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chase0305 View Post
                              My beautiful bride is 4'11 and loves the SCCY and they are made in the U.S.
                              I saw these the other day for sale, are they good guns? I honestly had never heard of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X