Deboning Deer In Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deboning Deer In Camp

One of the guys on my lease is from out of state. Far enough where its not practical to drive so he flies. I've always known it was illegal but the Deer Cop verbally told him it was ok to debone his deer in camp before his flight. Anyone else have experience with this or disagree that its ok for an out of stater to do this but not a Texan? I would love to break my deer down a little further between hunts to save time at home.

It's a crappy law. Pretty easy to tell if boned out meat is from one deer or multiple.

Comment

It is definitely illegal. Maybe if he had something in writing from a GW it would hold water but I doubt it. I also don't see a GW putting anything in writing that would approve breaking the law.

Comment

Very slippery slope

Comment

You can't eat it on the bone so deboning it can be called prepping for the freezer, at some point it is legal to debone.

Comment

I was on a youth hunt with someone high in the ranks of TPW and we had a youth that did this because they were from out of state, and the TPW person said it was fine. I don't know if it was because the hunter was young or if they knew the person.
            Last edited by doeboy11; 11-15-2022, 09:49 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Deboning Deer In Camp

I knew a guy who did it with every deer he shot.
              He drives and SUV so his coolers aren’t visible going down the highway- never gets checked.

I doubt he realizes it’s “against the law”.

Most longtime hunters never flip back through the annual rules and Regs booklet, inspecting for any changes.

Has the “not beyond quartering” always been the rule in Texas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Last edited by DaveC; 11-15-2022, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I debone at camp every time. I also hunt 400 yds from my deer's "final destination" though so....

I obey the game laws and tag my animals but honestly on small private property no one would ever know. I still enjoy tagging the animal though for ceremonial purposes.

Comment

Based on past experience... (and Legdog is STILL salty about it! )

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Not legal until it reaches final destination. He can take it to a processor or it can be processed in camp if the camp has a cold storage facility with record keeping

Comment

I believe the way it is explained in Texas is that it cant be deboned until it is at its final destination. Final destination is defined as primary residence or processer. Although i believe when in a state having CWD,EHD etc you cant have any bone parts that may have cerebrospinal fluid transporting across state lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        Based on past experience... (and Legdog is STILL salty about it! )

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...0&postcount=11
                        Wow - Just another example why you offer ZERO information.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                          I debone at camp every time. I also hunt 400 yds from my deer's "final destination" though so....

I obey the game laws and tag my animals but honestly on small private property no one would ever know. I still enjoy tagging the animal though for ceremonial purposes.
                          I would interpret that as it final destination.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that just about every hunter that travels to Texas on a plane debones their deer before traveling back or am I wrong on this?

Comment

Still have a hard time with that law too but I do abide by it.
                              So if I'm the processor or if my deer camp is my 'final destination' where the deer will be consumed by the whole camp one particular week, who's to say that isn't legal?

Comment

Working...
                              X