How does price of corn affect you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you buy corn where it is convenient? Are you loyal to a particular store? If you knew ahead of time corn was cheaper somewhere between you and the lease, would you wait to stop there to purchase corn? How far off your path are you willing to go to save money on your corn bill?

Just but by the curiosity bug tonight. I thought I saw a previous thread similar to this but couldn't find it. Interested in how the price of corn affects you, and how many of yall are loyal to the lowest price.

I only buy about 10 bags at a time every couple of months. I'm not going out of the way to buy it bc it takes about 10 minutes of driving to spend more on gas than I can save. But I will go to the cheapest place I know of between my house and the lease to save $10-20 just bc it is convenient. If I were buying it by the truckload I'd probably shop around to save more.

Comment

Corn is like fuel if prices rise u still gonna buy it in season, and of coarse I shop around and if I find a good price or if on sale I tend to buy a pallet of it… currently paying 11.00 a bag in our area, but some places have it at 13.00 a bag.

Comment

I just buy it wherever. After the price of a lease, blinds, trailer, electricity, feeders, a new gun or bow, ammo or arrows/broad heads, food and drinks, fuel to and from, why go out of your way to save .75 a bag on corn?

Comment

I've not shot a deer over corn in many years. Every time I get a cell cam pic of a pig all I can think about is the price of corn and me being a dumb-arse for feeding the pigs.

That said, I should stop running a feeder and save my money.
          Last edited by Goldensammy; 10-24-2022, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IvoryRoot View Post
            I just buy it wherever. After the price of a lease, blinds, trailer, electricity, feeders, a new gun or bow, ammo or arrows/broad heads, food and drinks, fuel to and from, why go out of your way to save .75 a bag on corn?

Devil's advocate here. The way I see it, if I save .75 a bag, and I buy 100 bags a year, I just paid for my broadheads and I didn't have to do anything.

Comment

I buy it at the Co-op in El Campo because it’s convenient and I have an account there, also they load it for me. Not driving all around town looking for cheap corn

Comment

I buy at the closest cheap place. Sucks it is up so high but them farmers got to eat too.

Comment

Local feed stores typically have a lower markup than sporting goods stores.

Comment

I go to Bucee’s in NB and buy a pallet. They load it on the truck with a forklift. Corn is wrapped in plastic so I don’t worry about rain or losing a bag. Fill up all six feeders that we run year around then use any thing left to hand corn when I’m trying to shoot a pig or two for coyote bait. Hunt coyotes with thermal over the pigs. 👍

Comment

feed costs in general are sky rocketing. 5 years ago we were spending around $11000 total on feed at the lease. This year will be around $30,000 for corn and cottonseed.

It doesn't sound like much, but we used to have the feeders set at 10-11 seconds, now they're at 8 seconds. 20% is 20%.....

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                        feed costs in general are sky rocketing. 5 years ago we were spending around $11000 total on feed at the lease. This year will be around $30,000 for corn and cottonseed.

It doesn't sound like much, but we used to have the feeders set at 10-11 seconds, now they're at 8 seconds. 20% is 20%.....
                        How much do y’all spend on trailer tires and hubs?

I try to buy at the cheapest place possible when I’m near that place. (Bucees). If it means I have to carry it around for a few days then I will.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                          How much do y’all spend on trailer tires and hubs?

I try to buy at the cheapest place possible when I’m near that place. (Bucees). If it means I have to carry it around for a few days then I will.

We’re WAY over budget this year I know that!

I still don’t understand why you wouldn’t help me plug that tire. [emoji23]

Last edited by kyle1974; 10-25-2022, 06:31 AM.

Comment

I just avoid places where I know the price is unreasonable compared to other stores. Example, Lockhill vs Mummys

Comment

I'll stop at the cheapest place if it's convenient, a middle priced place if it's more convenient, and avoid the places that charge more than everyone else. My time is worth more than the few bucks that $0.50 a bag saves, but I also don't like being overcharged.

Comment

Working...
                              X