Cattle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle Question

I've been leasing my place out for cattle but I'm in the process of winding that down. I plan to put a few cows of my own on the place to slaughter each year for friends and family.

Region is northwest of Fort Worth, will be grass finished, looking for easy calving.

What breed of cattle does the green screen recommend for some tasty beef?

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
    I've been leasing my place out for cattle but I'm in the process of winding that down. I plan to put a few cows of my own on the place to slaughter each year for friends and family.

Region is northwest of Fort Worth, will be grass finished, looking for easy calving.

What breed of cattle does the green screen recommend for some tasty beef?

Hard to go wrong with either Angus, Devin, or Hereford.

Comment

I have always raised Holstien steers for butcher. All the other are worth more in your pocket than in your belly.
      Last edited by gonehuntin; 07-28-2022, 12:33 PM.

Comment

If you buy angus, go ahead and buy some good running shoes to go with them bc you will be chasing them in someone else pasture. They get out of fences more than any cattle breed I have ever dealt with.

Comment

We had Hereford and Santa Gertrudis and can’t remember a time they needed help calving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Simmental-Angus. Got a BIL in Muenster raising some if you're interested.
            He used to raise Simbrah too, might have some left.

Comment

If you go angus I would go low line. More muscle and less bone. And finish out on grass good.

Comment

Angus cows with a gentle horned Hereford bull. That's my suggestion. Hereford bulls tend to fight less than Angus bulls. They still fight but not quiet as aggressive as Angus bulls IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                  Angus cows with a gentle horned Hereford bull. That's my suggestion. Hereford bulls tend to fight less than Angus bulls. They still fight but not quiet as aggressive as Angus bulls IMO.
                  We've had some Hereford bulls that would fight their own shadow, and then there's the two 3yo brothers that we have now that are always together and have never fought. Weirdos....

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                    I have always raised Holstien steers for butcher. All the other are worth more in your pocket than in your belly.
                    I've been very disappointed in the holstein mixes we bought to raise last spring. They are simply not capable of putting on weight like angus or angus mixes. They have a thinner bone structure and grow taller but not as stout. They are also not breed to have the fat structure that "beef breeds" do and therefore while the ground meat is good, the steaks are not as good.

Yes, they are cheaper to get into, and certainly more gentle, but I won't go that way again. Hopefully your luck has been better than mine.

Comment

Interested as well

Comment

I prefer Brangus, myself or Beefmaster

Comment

Originally posted by stickemhard3 View Post
                          If you buy angus, go ahead and buy some good running shoes to go with them bc you will be chasing them in someone else pasture. They get out of fences more than any cattle breed I have ever dealt with.
                          ??? Idk where you get your angus but mine will dang near let you pet them and come when called (not kidding)

If you haven’t messed with Nelore cattle then you haven’t messed with terrifying cows…

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                            ??? Idk where you get your angus but mine will dang near let you pet them and come when called (not kidding)

If you haven’t messed with Nelore cattle then you haven’t messed with terrifying cows…
                            We have brangus and we can ease up to them and pet them if they are feeding.

Comment

Originally posted by stickemhard3 View Post
                              The black angus here are more likely to get in my Mule than run from
                              It. Our fences are great, but the previous crappy fences kept them in.

Black baldies are popular.

BP

Comment

Working...
                              X