Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-17-2021, 08:22 PM   #1
CentexRancher
Ten Point

Default What to include in your dream shop build?

If you were building your dream shop, what are some things you would include? Looking for all types of tips. Especially interested in things to include during the process that can't be added later (like sleeves under slab for future use). Would also love to see some pics of your buildings!
CentexRancher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
osochuck
Six Point

A lift!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
osochuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 08:26 PM   #3
bassmatt72
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any place I can.

A bathroom with a shower.
bassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 08:38 PM   #4
Txtourist
Six Point

Hunt In: MN, SD,TX

Helped my dad build his 2014- it’s 40x80 with the front shop area about a third of that is finished- insulated, AC, heat and ceiling fans. Taller sidewalls/overhead doors should have been taller. There is a 4 post car lift and it gets tight.
Floor drains, bathroom and shower are great. Air compressor is in back in a little room we built for that, the well and the furnace.
Hot water outside would be nice as well as more lighting outside.
I wish we’d have put a small winch/hoist in the ceiling for deer, and unloading heavy stuff.
A few more outlets, as well as cord drops from the ceiling. We’ll probably add a large stainless sink and an epoxy floor this year.
We use it to work on boats, old cars, farm equipment, some welding and wood projects as well as a butcher shop and place to get together for cook outs and whatnot.
There’s also a hidden room off of the bathroom that holds safes and hunting gear.

Last edited by Txtourist; 03-17-2021 at 09:37 PM.
Txtourist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 08:41 PM   #5
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Lots of outlets. Make sure you can run anything from normal power equipment to welders to campers.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #6
RifleBowPistol
Pope & Young

At least two, two post lifts, at least one big four post, drive on lift. A nice up draft paint booth. The biggest Superflow flow bench, then a Superflow engine dyno. Then a Mustang chassis dyno. A nice well organized engine assembly room, right next to the dyno room. Then a transmission building room. All of these would have lots of lighting. Then above all of these rooms would be parts storage area. Then a complete machine shop, engine boring machine, Sunnen engine hone, line boring machine, crank grinder, block and head decking machine. A Serdi seat cutter and valve cutter. Then a five axis CNC mill, and a nice CNC lathe. Then have a area set up in the machine shop to port heads and intakes.

Then a nice big water cooled TIG with all types of torches and cups, a dry storage for rods and wire. Then stock it with about every type of rod and wire I might ever use. Then a nice MIG. Then a bit diesel stick welder, generator on a trailer to work on fences or whatever outside. Then a nice sheet metal break, sheet metal shear, an English wheel. Then definitely a nice tubing bender and a very nice tubing notcher. Then a nice heavy duty rotisserie. Then a area inside the shop for a blasting cabinet, parts steam cleaner. Then a place to store a soda blaster, then a area outside the shop to blast parts or cars.

Then I would need a laser table and a powder coating oven and the powder coating gear.

Then a large fridge to store food and drinks in and maybe even a bar. Might as well get a gas grille too.

Then out in the shop, enough room off to one side to use as a indoor archery or small caliber gun range. With a archery back stop and a bullet trap. So when I want a break and it's either cold and windy outside or raining, I can shoot my bow. That or test out a new gun I just built. With a archery back stop and a bullet trap.
Then plenty of room to store about eight vehicles, maybe twenty vehicles. I would be good at that point. Then I would need this shop sitting in the middle of 10,000 ac. out in west or south Texas. With signs warning trespassers they will be lucky to make it out alive.

I think would be set at that point, I would be able to do most anything I ever want to do.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 09:00 PM   #7
IvoryRoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Air lines ran to various places and hose reels.
IvoryRoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 09:07 PM   #8
DeerGeek
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay Co.

Mop sink
DeerGeek is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 09:08 PM   #9
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Following about to break ground on a 16 x 24/28 shed!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 09:09 PM   #10
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Somebody to clean it Good doors.
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 09:10 PM   #11
hgiles
Ten Point

Hunt In: my blind

The 4 post lift I put in my garage was one of my best investments. Wish I would have went with hot water out there also but may add that soon. Plenty of outlets, both 110 and 220. Also a place for a TV and beer fridge
hgiles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 09:25 PM   #12
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

I have a 40x50 and eventually want add a loft similar to this but all the way across.
Attached Images

twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 09:45 PM   #13
Pstraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Twice as big as you think should be 'big enough'. No matter how large it is, you will outgrow it in short order.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 10:20 PM   #14
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Spray foam insulation
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 10:32 PM   #15
jkranchrstexas
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I Can

I built mine 30x40x16....wish I would’ve went twice as big!! Only other regret I have, is not putting a toilet and shower in. I did use drop ceiling, so adding wiring is a breeze. Definitely put in 12x12 roll up doors. I’ll try to add some pics of mine.
jkranchrstexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #16
jkranchrstexas
Eight Point

Old 03-17-2021, 10:47 PM   #17
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Big Arse Fan - pricey but man they move some air
Put roll up or garage doors on the long side of the building opposite each other (north-south side) to help move air.

Insulation.

A little enclosed area with a comfy seat and AC for thinking/taking a break.

I hate being hot.

I know a guy that bought a kit but bricked/sided the outside and put the r-panel on the inside (warranty/structural reasons from the city). He has a couple clear roof panels, a light epoxy floor, and a few LED lights - I thought it was goofy until I figured out how bright the inside was. Easy to see anything you’re working on or when you drop something

An overhead gantry with electric hoist with electric trolley - I’d love to have a movable aluminum one with adjustable height that’s wide enough to straddle a flat bed trailer. Makes loading/unloading stuff by yourself easy and can use for a million other things. Alternatively, or in addition, a little jib crane with a decent reach.

Last edited by StrayDog; 03-17-2021 at 10:53 PM.
StrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 10:59 PM   #18
DZM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford, Jones Counties, TX, & SE OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkranchrstexas View Post

This is awesome!
DZM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 11:09 PM   #19
Tommyh
Pope & Young

Worked in many shops when i was younger. Air, a/c, lifts, varsol, bathing, storage all would have been appreciated.
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 07:04 AM   #20
jkranchrstexas
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZM View Post
This is awesome!

Thank you.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:25 AM   #21
DeerGeek
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay Co.

A Door on the south and a door on the north. Open them to get good cross breeze.
DeerGeek is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 08:08 AM   #22
chrisgunguy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Member of lost lease club

One of my favorite decisions was to put an I beam across the inside peak of the shop for an electric wench to go back and forth. A co-worker had just finished his and was upset he hadn't done it, so I did it in mine and its an awesome edition. You can see the jeep top above the camaro, and in one of the under construction pics. I also made sure the slab was ready for a lift install.

Name:  camaro.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  25fca24352d32f865bcb1d7ab165b683.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  127.2 KB

Name:  z.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  zz.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  89.5 KB
chrisgunguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 08:36 AM   #23
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Mine is 30x40x16 as well. 3 roll up doors and a 12 foot lean to on one side and 12 foot apron on another

Should have gone bigger, should have done another door for draft. Need gutters

Did full bath,200 Amp service, lots of plugs. still working on it

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 10:02 AM   #24
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

I just finished up my 60x80x20 barn with a 32í lean-to down one 80í side and a 30í gable extension on the entry end. I ended up laying additional slab and enclosing half of the lean-to. I attached my lean-to at the 16í level.

What am I glad that I did?

I spray foamed everything above the 16í purlin in the main barn and everything above the 8í level in the side barn. Below that I put in 6Ē batt insulation and skinned over the batt with a combination of wood paneling and corrugated galvanized panels. Cost was very close to the same for batt and panels versus 1Ē of painted closed cell spray foam. Looks way better and cleaner.

I put in 2x5 horizontal windows in each bay on the 80í side on each side. So basically 4 on each side. These were installed between the 16í purlin and the top of the sidewall. Provides great light during the daytime instead of the barn being pitch black when you walk in.

Put in a loft for a 20x40 area so I have upstairs and downstairs. We finished out a couple of 20x20 rooms (one up and one down) complete with Sheetrock and separate mini-splits. Also have a bathroom with shower and a wash bay for our pigs.

Put in a couple of large TVís in the main barn area. This barn can/does double as a party barn for us to have friends over to watch games (or for my wife to have her friends over to watch the bachelor). Itís very nice to have the TVís for when you are working and there is a game on that you donít want to miss.

Speakers. We decided on a few of the Sonos Five speakers so itís all fairly integrated but can be hooked to each TV wirelessly or run music when you donít have the TV on.

Plenty of 110 outlets. They are everywhere.

Lights. We spent a ton of time deciding the right amount of light. We like where we ended up. High bay LED shop lights can be tricky IMO. You can easily drift from too little light, past the perfect balance and end up with too much.

Cheap labor. We still arenít finished with the ďfinish outĒ but I have a couple of young men that are hungry for cash. So I save up on some of the harder (heavy lifting and crap I just donít enjoy) work and utilize them for that. Itís amazing how much a young back canít get done in 4-5 hours. And it is worth every dang cent.

Hot and cold water to the wash bay in addition to the bathroom.

High bay garage door. I can (and have) use it to get anything in there that I will ever need to.

Basketball goal. Got this as a Christmas gift for my boys. They use it constantly.

Quality openers on the garage doors.

My well doesnít have to have a large tank so I went with an underground tank. Donít have to have a well house or anything and they put the well right next to the barn.

Interior 34x60 walking area with turf. It can be stacked and put to the side along with the interior fencing after show season. We can work with our animals when others canít.

What do I wish I had done differently?

I went with 5Ē slab. Wish I had done 6Ē. Havenít had any issues and probably wonít but Iím always worried about it.

Wish I had extended the lean-to down along side the gable extension. More lean-to space would be great for additional trailer/tractor/truck/whatever parking.

Exterior hose bibs. I went with standard off of the side of the barn at the recommendation of the plumber. Wish I had gone with the frost proof hydrant style where I needed them.

Should have planned better for my floor drains.

Iím sure that over time my lists will flip some and there will be more under the ďwhat I wish I had done differentlyĒ tab but we just got to where we could use it about 60 days ago and we are still finishing up a lot of the smaller finish up items.

For us it fits our lifestyle. It is a great party/work/show pig barn.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #25
CaptainDave
Ten Point

I agree with the comments on the outlets. Make sure to have lots of outlets and also have the ability to run just about any type of equipment from power tools, welders, wood working and even RV if you have or plan to own one at some point. This is something easy to do during a build and isn't a budget killer.

Plumb for a bathroom, sink, shower, even if you don't plan to build one out initially.

Take the size building you think you need and go up at least to the next size. Even a 40X60 can fill up fast.

If you plan on parking a boat or similar in there, be sure to measure the trailer! Same goes for an RV, be sure to measure height and width if you plan to park inside or under an awning, etc. Also take that into account as lost work space, which sort of goes back to the go bigger than you think you need.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 10:34 AM   #26
IOWA BOW HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Midwest & Texas

Hot water heater, have everything else but winter and washing your hands really sucks in a old 1980 barn/workshop.
IOWA BOW HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 10:38 AM   #27
Gunfish
Nubbin' Buck

Great info! Following
Gunfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #28
TexasBob
Pope & Young

I have a 40x50 with a 40x12 porch. Itís too small. I cheaped out on the awning out front and regret it every time it rains. Layout makes a huge difference. Mine has 3 doors across the front so I have basically two 15x50 bays and one a bit larger. Feels huge compared to similar size building with one entry on the end

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #29
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare

Definitely an electric hoist.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #30
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Mine is 50x50 with a 25x50 carport.
Add as many carports / porches as you can
Build out a loft for storage
Washer and dryer. We use all the time. RV bedding never has to go in the house.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 11:56 AM   #31
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

30x40x14 with a 12' lean too. Two 12x12 doors in the front and a 10x10 in the back for a draft. Always a good breeze in there. Very comfortable. Love it!
Attached Images

ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 12:05 PM   #32
bullhead44
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke county and McLennan county

Walk in cooler for hanging meat when processing. My dad had one in his shop as well as a meat room for processing. We processed many a deer growing up. Lots of fun nights listening to guys BS while cutting up deer.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 12:13 PM   #33
kingranch
Ten Point

If you think you might want a car lift have the slab a bit thicker in that spot... mine was under 3 grand installed

Also a good idea like mentioned is the I beam up top... I have that also but I actually fabbed up a mobile hoist with scrap ibeam I had leftover from the shop build and I can push it back out of way and use it in spots that aren't dead center like needed if using the shop beam
Attached Images

kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #34
kingranch
Ten Point

Lift
Attached Images

kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 12:15 PM   #35
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Wow what a great thread full of good ideas/info!!
I'm about to start my shop too... I have a barn that was on the farm when we bought it... Thought that was going to be my shop, but it is not raised as high as the house and yard so when Harvey came calling, it was flooded so no shop there...

Regarding construction, IF you plan to have this shop sealed and dry, do NOT use roll up doors. Use panel doors. There's no dependable and good way to seal up roll up doors. If you look at chrisgunguy's pics, he has panel doors that follow the roof line up top. THAT is the best way to put in a panel door.

I will have an electric winch and seeing the I-beam idea down the middle of the shop in this thread, that will definitely be an addition for me!! A buddy of mine has one of those "Big Arse Fan's" in his shop and those suckers move some air!! with doors open both ends, even an overhead door and a man-door, there's plenty of air movement! I too will have both hot and cold running water inside and out on the shop. Outside will be along a wall somewhere along the lean-to that will face the back yard...

Electrical outlets, LOTs of electrical outlets... No less than 4 50 amp 220 circuits for my stick burners too... Currently have one and it is in the WRONG place!

Also comments about bigger than you think are all true!! The barn I have is 30 X 60 X 12 high and it's cram full of stuff NOW!! When we bought the place, I thought I'd have room to spare!! Go as big as your budget and/or physical space will allow!!

I'm going to have a processing room that will be enclosed, insulated and air conditioned with a mini split. Will have provisions for meat processing, vegetable processing from the garden and refrigeration/freezer space. I currently have 4 freezers scattered throughout the house, garage and barn...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #36
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

Lift and rv parking.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 12:17 PM   #37
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

I have a 30x40, with a 12x40 covered porch. Spray foam on walls and ceiling was a great decision. Central AC/Heat. And electrical outlets @ 4' high, spaced every 5-6'.

And yes, go bigger. I don't care what you think, it needs to be bigger.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #38
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Tagged

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #39
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
I have a 30x40, with a 12x40 covered porch. Spray foam on walls and ceiling was a great decision. Central AC/Heat. And electrical outlets @ 4' high, spaced every 5-6'.

And yes, go bigger. I don't care what you think, it needs to be bigger.
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #40
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Big Toe View Post

Just finished the 30x40x14, pouring concrete this week. But seeing and reading all the above.. really thinking of adding floor drain. But would one in the center suffice?
I did plumbing for toilet and 2 sinks on for restroom and a shop sink. Now deciding on closed cell or open cell spray insulation not sure the big difference I know the open is cheaper but what looks better is my question?

Old 03-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #41
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

About a 60x 120 x 20 would be a good start for me with lean toos off one or both sides. Multiple drive through bays.

End bay would have RR tracks laid in the concrete to drive dozers and trachoes on. With plenty of welder plugs in that area and through to keep from having to break out the gas welder all the time.

Big *** style fan for sure.

Hot and cold water in mulitple areas is a great idea.

Over head Gantry crane would be awesome also.
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #42
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Big Toe View Post

Just finished the 30x40x14, pouring concrete this week. But seeing and reading all the above.. really thinking of adding floor drain. But would one in the center suffice?
I did plumbing for toilet and 2 sinks on for restroom and a shop sink. Now deciding on closed cell or open cell spray insulation not sure the big difference I know the open is cheaper but what looks better is my question?

Go closed cell but it has nothing to do with looks. Open cell can retain and hold moisture on the inside between the insulation and the sheeting. It will rust from the inside out.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 02:43 PM   #43
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

great, that is what i was looking for, someone to tell the difference, the change difference will off set the future head ache, thanks RdRdrfan
Old 03-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #44
spidermonkey
Ten Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

Agree with basically all the above, and ESPECIALLY the hoist/beam setup. I have one in mine, and it’s a life saver when working on/fabbing on big stuff. Getting too old to be trying to flip stuff by hand. I seem to do more and more building of big bulky items that would be a pain to flip, move around, and whatnot, without it. Plus I can trolley it out to the outside edge of the big door, back my truck under it, and unload a deer for quartering too. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #45
sendit
Ten Point

Itís an open ended question. One size doesnít fit all.

For me itís an industrial dust collector with a bag house and huge cyclone located outside. Having and a fume and smoke extraction system would be next inline. Then it would be a paint booth.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #46
MIHunter
Pope & Young

Following
MIHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 05:33 PM   #47
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Getting closer,

Got the plugs in and Epoxy on floor. Need to do the LED 8 ft lights. But. I hate heights. So
Renting a ditch witch for power from house as well as water line
Waiting on Close cell quote

Old 04-22-2021, 06:13 PM   #48
sneaky freak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old mexico and saltwater

Not for everyone but we built a open space apartment above ours and rent it out, its paying for itself
sneaky freak is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #49
Kong
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma Texas

At the least an I Beam with a rolling hoist on it down the middle of one bay but depending on the size of the shop I’d add a couple if you have multiple doors. I spent the money and had beams put on the sides as well so the hoist can move in all directions. This can get pricey but worth every penny for lifting things out of the bed of your truck or working on things.

I’d also make sure you have a full 200 amp breaker box so all the things you add after the fact will have the power to feed them. If you get a solid set up from the start you can add things as time goes by. Other thing that’s a must have for me is an AC system in the shop, I hate working in the heat these days
Kong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 07:44 PM   #50
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmatt72 View Post
A bathroom with a shower.
yep!

chain hoist

20gallon or larger air compressor, at least 40 feet of air hose

heavy duty rolling floor jack

2 shop fans