2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
    I am not sure but if it were me, I would gamble. Perhaps throwing old towels over them is an option...
    Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
    You can cover them with a sheet. The leaves might freeze and wilt a little but the ‘maters should be ok.
    I ended up throwing a few old sheets over the tomatoes i definitely wanted to keep and left the ones alone that i'd be fine losing, as an experiment. as of 5 min ago there appears to be no noticeable damage to any of the tomatoes, peppers, nor eggplants, with or without sheets. but most of the zucchinis had frost damage and all the melons died. The okra appears to be fine too.

Comment

I think it stayed around 40 here. Whew.

Comment

We covered the peppers,one zucchini, and one tomato. Looks like everything else took a pretty good hit. Okra looks to be gone.

Comment

How many of y’all let your jalapeños ripen before picking? I’ll be making bread & butter pickled japs out of these. I like a combination of green a red.

Fall harvest of green beans has started also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I typically have a few turn red or black when I pick them. I will be making strawberry/jalapeno and blackberry/jalapeno jams with them. Will be my first time to make a jam.

Comment

Went out side yesterday and something ate all the branches off my okra plants except the tips. couldn't find the culprit, but thinking I will just retire the okra for the year. I calculated that I would need 8-10 okra plants next year to pick enough every couple days to both handout to friends, coworkers and keep for myself. Also my New Orleans French Quarter hybrid didn't produce much. Not gonna try that one again. Ah well ..these 4 plants this season gave me about 3-4 good gumbo's and a lot of stewed okra meals.
              Ok thats all for "MAN reminisces on his summer 22 okra plants"...thanks for listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                Went out side yesterday and something ate all the branches off my okra plants except the tips. couldn't find the culprit, but thinking I will just retire the okra for the year. I calculated that I would need 8-10 okra plants next year to pick enough every couple days to both handout to friends, coworkers and keep for myself. Also my New Orleans French Quarter hybrid didn't produce much. Not gonna try that one again. Ah well ..these 4 plants this season gave me about 3-4 good gumbo's and a lot of stewed okra meals.
                Ok thats all for "MAN reminisces on his summer 22 okra plants"...thanks for listening.
                Mine are still producing but have slowed way down as the weather cools off and days shorten. Going to plant several more plants next year as well.

Comment

Because of my impending retirement, I have gotten very busy at work so I've let most of the opportunity for a Fall garden slip by me... plus, like others have posted, some culprits have stripped pretty much all my pepper plants and okra of their leaves... I've probably got a gallon of mixed peppers to go harvest and I think I want to try some jalapeno jelly... I love it, can't eat much of it with all the sugar, but I've never tried making it... If this light frost we had didn't do 'em in, I will try to over-Winter a few of the better pepper plants... I'll be able to dedicate more time to a real effort next Spring, but I can tell you all, my wife and I absolutely enjoyed the heck out of the bag garden this year! The only thing we planted in the ground was purple hull peas and corn plus a row of giant Zinnias and half a row of okra... The okra in bags I think did better than the okra in the ground... Best peppers we've ever grown with the widest variety too... Got gallons of colossus jalapenos and they are so flavorful! Make great poppers as they get BIG! Also tried a new one, Beaver Dam Hot Pepper... (but they're not hot)... Great flavor and you can eat 'em like bell peppers. They're shaped sort of like a poblano, but they also get REAL big! Grew our first pimento peppers, 2 varieties of poblanos, bells, 2 cayenne's, big banana peppers, and probably a couple others I'm forgotten...

Comment

May be the last harvest of the year for peppers. Hopefully the tomatoes survived last night.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well folks, our Prime Ark Freedom blackberries have absolutely blown us away this year! My bride revived them in the early Spring after a year of neglect and too much water... They responded unbelievably!
                      Today, Thanksgiving day, we picked enough berries to make a fabulous Keto-cobbler!! Then we went out and completed our first attempt at propagating berry plants. Don't have a clue if they will work, but we've got 47 chances... I'll update come Spring!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3105.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	24699944

Name:	IMG_3106.JPG
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	24699945

Name:	IMG_3108.JPG
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	24699946

Name:	IMG_3107.JPG
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	24699947

Comment

Congratulations on the blackberries Charlie.

Speaking of blackberries, does anyone have any recommendations on a good variety to grow in north texas or will any variety do?

Comment

Blackberries in Novermeber! All right im all in on these. You mentioned them to me in the spring and instead i went off and bought some large retail chain berries. Looks like i will just have to have 2 blackberry gardens

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                            Congratulations on the blackberries Charlie.

Speaking of blackberries, does anyone have any recommendations on a good variety to grow in north texas or will any variety do?
                            You can check the USDA zone chart and pick the blackberries that will do the best in your zone. I would think Natchez, Arapaho, Kiowa, etc would be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Blackberries in Novermeber! All right im all in on these. You mentioned them to me in the spring and instead i went off and bought some large retail chain berries. Looks like i will just have to have 2 blackberry gardens
                              I am trying multiple berry patches of different kinds. Just started last spring. I have Arapaho, Kiowa, boysenberries and just ordered some Prime Ark Freedoms off Amazon. (Thanks Saltwater)

I did try to propagate from cuttings and failed. One day while pinching the tips off some primocanes, I noticed one had grown over and into the soil of the plant next to it. When I pulled it up, it already had 5 or 6, 3 inch long roots, so I replanted it. I also took a growing primocane and cut it diagonally right above where each set of leaves were growing and planted them. So far, so good. The leaves wilted slightly and rebounded and started new growth at the base of the leaves...

Comment

Geoff,
                                Sorry I'm just seeing this! These Prime Ark Freedom berries we are growing were developed at the University of Arkansas. They'd surely grow in your area! We are still getting a few berries every few days. So far, our cuttings are still looking healthy. We used the old Texas Prepper 2 method of starting them (YouTube)... Probably have a hundred or so stuck in pots... If we get 25% success, we'll have blackberries out the wazoo!

Finally got our little greenhouse assembled and ready for use... We will transfer all the blackberry cuttings into it in the next couple days...

Name:	IMG_3139.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	24700466

Name:	IMG_3140.JPG
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	24700467

Name:	IMG_3144.JPG
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	24700468

It turned out nice, but also was a MUCH more time consuming project than I had ever dreamed!! Hope we can do our seed starting in it this Winter instead of indoors with grow lights... I have electric heat and water available in it, so gonna give that a try... Also have grow mats that we can use to get the seeds started... Last year's first attempt at starting everything from seeds went perfect EXCEPT... We failed to harden off our plants out of ignorance... Didn't know anything about it... We took our seedlings and planted them in grow bags and put them out in the sun... We still had a nice bag garden, but probably lost over 50% of our plants to sun damage... Hoping natural light during germination will yield better results... We shall see...
                                Looking forward to 2023 Gardening thread... Bride and I will BOTH be retired so can dedicate more time to doin' it right!

Comment

Working...
                                X