GM 8 speed Tranny rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM 8 speed Tranny rant

I know this has been discussed so much but GM has failed me yet again! We all know that these trannys and torque converters are absolutely junk and GM should be totally liable for every stinking one of them but then they would Need yet ANOTHER bail out. My wife was driving our ‘16 suburban Monday , she was 60 miles away from home, called me saying that it started shuttering and wouldn’t go into reverse. I did some quick research and told her to shut it off and let it cool down. I knew at this point it was done. I got my trailer hooked up and headed her way . When I got there, I started it up, put it in reverse ( fine), put it in forward ( fine again). I decided to drive it to get it warmed up and everything was absolutely fine. I pulled off of the road on the shoulder, put it in reverse ( fine again). I jumped back on the road, gave it some gas and felt it immediately, I pulled back over, put it in reverse and it wouldn’t have anything to do with it. I check her fluids at least once every two weeks ( we don’t travel much at all) and all fluids were good. I checked the fluid and it was completely burnt with metal shavings On the Dipstick. She watches her gauges constantly but had no warnings of the tranny overheating or anything else. New tranny and torque converter installed $5300. The car only has 109k on it. GM sucks and I will stick to my guns in saying I’ll never own another one.

Rant over

I had about 8 GM trucks in a row and then bought my wife and I both 8 speed half tons (truck/yukon). Those were the last modern GMs we will own.

Comment

The GM/Chevrolet transmission issue is the very reason I switched truck brands after 40 years. On my first truck on a new brand, so far so good at 120,000 miles after 2 1/2 years. My last GM by the time I hit 130,000 miles had two transmissions following the factory install - so three total....and no I do not pull a trailer, boat or anything.

Repeated and routine failures that fell on my shoulders financially. Absolutely ridiculous. Over my truck ownership I totaled it up, on transmission repairs for Chevrolet trucks I have spent in excess of $20,000.....it doesn't matter how you drive them or whether you do regular and routine maintenance......they are junk. Yes, I know they all probably have their issues but GM dang well knows they have an issue and does nothing to fix. Rant over.

Comment

I have always been a GM guy, however, I will not even own a 1/2 ton GM truck or SUV. Haha, the only thing they make that has not failed me or given me issues is the 3/4 - 1 ton duramax. I am even now thinking of moving onto dodge Cummings cause I feel I can get a better price. Sorry about your luck. Weak transmissions

Comment

I was a diehard GM fan until 2017. I drove quite a few 6.0 2500s to 200K. They had tons of electrical gremlins, but mechanically sound. Our 2015+ trucks had lots of issues. Transmissions never made it pst 160K. My 2018 was the biggest POS I’ve ever driven, and that was from new. Our company now has Tundras for fleet trucks, and so few issues. The fuel card statement offsets any savings though

Comment

GM has more tranny problems than San Francisco.

Hope you get it ironed out

Comment

If the transmission don’t get you the AFM will on the motor. 2013-2018 Chevrolet suck. I won’t buy another. I had always thought Chevrolet was better in the past not anymore. Lot better options out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                GM has more tranny problems than San Francisco.

Hope you get it ironed out
                Almost made me spit out my cereal!

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                  If the transmission don’t get you the AFM will on the motor. 2013-2018 Chevrolet suck. I won’t buy another. I had always thought Chevrolet was better in the past not anymore. Lot better options out there.
                  And the 2018- early 23’s also

As I understand it, the 23’s are doing away with the AFM! I have a 21 and If I keep it, I’m getting that crap deleted the day after the warranty goes out. How in the heck did I end up with 2 Gubment motor vehicles???? I must have dumbarse written across my forehead .
                  Last edited by Bucknaked; 11-23-2022, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Bought many GMC's and Chevys. I don't see it happening again anytime soon. Ford or Ram for me.

Comment

And they don't even offer a manual transmission

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                        And they don't even offer a manual transmission
                        Not many do- but I am Definitely Not taking up for GM!

Comment

But they do look pretty with big tires lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                            You can’t get anything that even Nearly resembles a big tire on them with out a 5” lift- sure you could go with a junky rough country 4” but then you just have more junk added to junk.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                              Yep. If you put an 8” lift on it you can put the spare tire from a Kia shortage on it without it rubbing too bad

Comment

Working...
                              X