No announcement yet.

What to do with a porcupine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In some places those quills and guard hairs they get during the Winter can fetch pretty good money. Probably not so much in Texas where it doesn't get as cold but there for a few years I was selling porcupines for $10 a piece to a fur buyer. I'd just put them in an empty dog food sack or feed sack and stacked them in the freezer.

Comment

Our place is full of them. We have killed probably a dozen in last couple of years, with many more that need to be killed. They tear stuff up, kill trees, eat your protein like crazy, stink like a 10 year old urine bottle and scare the deer off.

Standing kill Order. Buddies killed two in my feeder pen this past Saturday
      Last edited by wellingtontx; 11-07-2022, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        Are porcupines rare in Texas or what? We have them all over the place up here. My buddy and I saw 32 in one day when we were coyote huntin one year. They're freakin gross and they hurt livestock and pets.

We may have saw more than that,that day. I don't remember but I know it was a bunch. The world ain't gonna miss one if you just trash it.
        So you not being from Texas, I will give you a list of things our ancestors wiped out in Texas or came very close to wiping out.

Black bears, grizzly bears, red wolves, gray wolves, jaguars, jaguarundis, ocelots, put a hell of dent in the mountain lion, red fox and alligator populations. Then wiped out the elk, buffalo, desert big horn, then killed off probably 99.9% of beavers, river otters, porcupines.

There are probably another 50 species that I am not remembering that our ancestors wiped out or nearly wiped out.

If they would just open Yankee season and west coaster season, with no bag limits, we would wipe them out.

Comment

Interesting read.
          I get one on cellcam from time to time I'll add to the "not on my watch" list, right under the pigs..

Comment

Deer dont seem to scared of them at my place.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
              So you not being from Texas, I will give you a list of things our ancestors wiped out in Texas or came very close to wiping out.

Black bears, grizzly bears, red wolves, gray wolves, jaguars, jaguarundis, ocelots, put a hell of dent in the mountain lion, red fox and alligator populations. Then wiped out the elk, buffalo, desert big horn, then killed off probably 99.9% of beavers, river otters, porcupines.

There are probably another 50 species that I am not remembering that our ancestors wiped out or nearly wiped out.

If they would just open Yankee season and west coaster season, with no bag limits, we would wipe them out.
              Interesting. Now you know how the Native Americans feel in your last sentence. Why anyone would wish death to another human being is beyond me.
              Last edited by Jon Stewart; 11-07-2022, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monark View Post
                Gotta watch. Sorry, nothing to help OP but it reminded me of this.

Pork...What?! | Family Feud - YouTube
                Upine

Comment

They use to get a pass from me but never again. Friends of mine had one destroy @50% of an orchard in a matter of two nights and I’m @$400 deep in vet bills from removing quills…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They will debark a tree for sure, if they could be trained to kill the right tree's they might get a pass.

Comment

What to do with a porcupine?

This mount looks really good in person. This is the one that I said my buddy had in his house!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

They get a pass in the wild but in the yard they are not welcome up here.
                        We have caught a few in traps and just dispatch them.
                        Had one in the apple tree this fall and it did not make it out of the orchard.

They get pretty fluffy up here so now I want one tanned after reading this thread, lol.
                        I'll find out what Moyle Mink gets for tanning one and we'll keep one and skin it if we have to take one this winter.

We have tons of them, all over.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

This mount looks really good in person. This is the one that I said my buddy had in his house!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok they is pretty cool

Comment

Besides everything else, they are creepy looking bastages and the make a creepier noise.

Comment

You can eat porcupines

Comment

I hunt south of Llano and my cousins raise goats. We have several Pyrenees as guardian dogs. They've all had run ins with porcupine so we shoot on sight. The problem is, I have never seen or gotten a pic of one! When I finally get an opportunity to shoot one, I will likely have it full body mounted. After that, I would also just shoot them to save trees and animals. Coyotes, crows, big boars and porcupines are four things I will shoot and not eat or do anything with.

To the OP, if it's not too late, have it mounted - full or half. It will be a conversation piece. It's up to you and the LO whether you shoot more.

Comment

Working...
                                X