Brisket Gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Gurus

I BBQ’d a brisket and some ribs today.....ribs were off the chart, I always wrap my brisket at 160-70(in paper) and generally pull at 205-10, let rest
    It was overcooked ? Fell apart like pot roast, I’m wondering if my thermometer is bad, it’s only about 4 years old , Thermo pro...never had a problem before

Was it the pink butcher paper or white? If it was the white then it doesn’t breathe as much and can turn it into roast like. How long did you let it rest? I usually start checking tenderness about 190 or so I’ve had some finish 190-195 some take 205 or 210 I have my grill probes that I use for eyeballing but check with a pen style one as I feel it’s more accurate.

Comment

Probably just the brisket itself. They generally cook pretty similar temp wise but not always. I usually just do the probe test til it starts to slide it like butter then I pull it quick.

Comment

Like said above, depending on the cut of meat, some briskets probe tender under the temp you pulled at.

Comment

210 center internal temp will push mine to falling apart most every time...

I start probing and checking at 200...200-202 is usually my sweet spot for sliced...205+ is my chopped range. Its amazing what an extra 5-6 degrees will do that far into it. And I'm talking probing in the center of the flat in the thickest part. The outside will be hotter of course.

Comment

Pink paper ..... probe slid in too easy at 195, talked to a buddy of mine who does competition...said maybe the meat itself, well::::
            Thanks for the replies, I’m just a perfectionist and ****** that it did this, wife didn’t know the difference
            Lol ��

Comment

Pull at 205°.

Comment

The brisket itself can make a difference. I normally pull Prime briskets at 203-205. I’ve never pushed one to 210.

I did a choice since I couldn’t find a good Prime and it was tough and dry at 205.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Little trick I was taught. Since you are cutting against the grain the longer the fiber in the slice the less tender it will be in the mouth. If you cook one to mush slice it real thick and it should still hold together.

If the brisket comes out on the tougher side a thin slice will still be super tender in the mouth. Problem being that your wrists will be pre-arthritic by the time you are done slicing haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Started pulling mine around 188-190 and letting them rest 6 hours in a cooler

Comment

Don't pull at any given temp. Pull when it probes tender. Could be at 190 could be at 210. Every brisket is different.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                        Don't pull at any given temp. Pull when it probes tender. Could be at 190 could be at 210. Every brisket is different.
                        This... I use and internal meat probe to get me in the right range (185-190) before I start probing the brisket in the flat. Sometimes I take up to 205-210 if needed, but depends on the brisket. Use a bamboo skewer, thermo-pen, ice pick etc. Should feel like pushing it into a tub of peanut butter in the flat. The point will be soft and jello-like. Different brisket grades all cook different, I have since moved to the cheaper choice briskets and they turn out great every time for me. I have overcooked prime ones with more fat.

The tips that work for me:
                        - I use brown butcher paper to wrap after about and hour stall 155 - 165ish usually
                        - I flip or rotate the meat during the cook around the hot spots (mostly when cooking on my egg)
                        - I try to finish them early and give time to rest at least an hour, can keep much longer in a cooler wrapped in towels

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                          I BBQ’d a brisket and some ribs today.....ribs were off the chart, I always wrap my brisket at 160-70(in paper) and generally pull at 205-10, let rest
                          It was overcooked ? Fell apart like pot roast, I’m wondering if my thermometer is bad, it’s only about 4 years old , Thermo pro...never had a problem before
                          Start checking for probe tender at 195. Each brisket is different.
                          Check your thermo with boiling water or a glass of ice water.

I see ColinR beat me to it.
                          Last edited by Graysonhogs; 09-29-2022, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I pull at around 203° and they seem to be tender but not falling apart

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                              ColinR has the correct answer.

The only thing the thermometer is good for in cooking brisket is letting you know when it is getting close. Once it gets past 190 its all feel from there. When the probe tells you its tender, pull it off.

Comment

Working...
                              X