No announcement yet.

Navy jet bird strike footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I lived in Corpus, they would lose one of those Goshawks every couple years.

Nice thing down there I guess was the lack of population to crash into.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      Can't believe no one on the ground was killed!
      Me either it was a miracle. I live about a mile from where it went down.

Comment

I am surprised this doesn't occur more frequently

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
          While nobody will ever accuse me of being the sharpest blade in the chandelier, I have wonder why “they” don’t attach some kind of grate in front of the intake—something that will allow air to pass through but not birds (or at least large birds)? It seems like a fairly simple solution to me.
          plane would be slower

Comment

While nobody will ever accuse me of being the sharpest blade in the chandelier, I have wonder why “they” don’t attach some kind of grate in front of the intake—something that will allow air to pass through but not birds (or at least large birds)? It seems like a fairly simple solution to me.
            While on the surface this would seem like a logical answer to the problem it would instead create other problems.
            Any type of screen or grate would disrupt the air flow to the turbines degrading the performance of the engine. Most small birds are easily ingested in the motors, it’s usually just the big ones or multiple birds that are dangerous but if a screen was there to stop the small ones then it might get clogged up and once again, cause lack of air flow to the turbines.
            Then there is the strength of the barrier. A bird hitting the screen could cause the screen to fail and thus cause a FOD (Foreign Object Damage) incident.
            The only barrier I’ve seen on a jet, that I can recall is one vertical bar, shaped aerodynamically, in the inlet of an F-16 fighter. It’s job was to prevent ground crew from being sucked into the inlet while running up. Yes it does happen and most don’t survive.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
              Ugh. That went south fast...
              A lot faster than I would have thought. I guess those fighter jets don't have much glide.

Comment

Taking off on American Airlines last year from Bush IAH to Charlotte, we hit a couple of buzzards climbing out. We circled at low altitude for about 20 minutes. Landed back at IAH with the runway lined with fire trucks.

Comment

Vulture > goshawk

Comment

15 million dollar plane, $15 dollar video camera

Glad it wasn’t worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                      While on the surface this would seem like a logical answer to the problem it would instead create other problems.
                      Any type of screen or grate would disrupt the air flow to the turbines degrading the performance of the engine. Most small birds are easily ingested in the motors, it’s usually just the big ones or multiple birds that are dangerous but if a screen was there to stop the small ones then it might get clogged up and once again, cause lack of air flow to the turbines.
                      Then there is the strength of the barrier. A bird hitting the screen could cause the screen to fail and thus cause a FOD (Foreign Object Damage) incident.
                      The only barrier I’ve seen on a jet, that I can recall is one vertical bar, shaped aerodynamically, in the inlet of an F-16 fighter. It’s job was to prevent ground crew from being sucked into the inlet while running up. Yes it does happen and most don’t survive.

A very logical explanation and what you say makes perfect sense.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I love learning about things I know nothing about!

Oh, and thanks also for that visual of people getting sucked up into the inlet. I’ll probably dream about it tonight…

Comment

A very logical explanation and what you say makes perfect sense.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I love learning about things I know nothing about!

Oh, and thanks also for that visual of people getting sucked up into the inlet. I’ll probably dream about it tonight…
                        It was something we had to be very aware of when running our jets at “full military power.” Its a very powerful suction and those blades in the engine will turn you into hamburger real quick.

This guy was lucky, he lived.

Comment

Heck of a vaccum there

Comment

Man I don’t know what his approach speed was but it sure didn’t seem like he glided very far. Miracle nobody was killed. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Terrible situation. I flew to St Louis Monday morning. Landing was very rough. Turns out we hit a bird. Good thing I had time for a few bloody Mary’s before leaving dfw

Comment

Working...
                              X