Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you replace your bow string and cables on a single cam bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you replace your bow string and cables on a single cam bow?

Anybody even keep one long enough to worry about this any more?

The type of cam design has nothing to do with string longevity. The fibers selected, build processes and user maintenance (keeping clean and waxing) are the primary contributors to the life of a given set of threads. With today’s fibers a set can last a couple of years no problem as long as the user has keep up with maintaining them. I replace mine annually but that’s just me being conservative. The bow should still be checked to see if creep has set in on a set but if they look good they are probably okay if they are kept up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I replace the bow string on my Mathews Drenalin every 3-4 years or if the string starts has any flaws or when the serving around the string that contacts the cam starts to separate.

Last thing I ever want to have happen is a string to snap and destroy my bow's limbs or have the string whip me when it snaps.

I probably could go longer than 3-4 years on a string change, but I consider it par for the course with a bow. Changing a string is still cheaper than buying a new bow, considering my old bow still kills deer and hogs just as dead as a new one would.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemlin View Post
        I replace the bow string on my Mathews Drenalin every 3-4 years or if the string starts to have any flaws or when the serving around the string that contacts the cam starts to separate.
        This is what mine is doing and mine is more than 4 years old. I feel like I did the right thing getting it replaced. I did not want it to go to pieces at full draw!

Comment

I have a 14' BT insanity and replaced string once. Shoots lights out!

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
            This is what mine is doing and mine is more than 4 years old. I feel like I did the right thing getting it replaced. I did not want it to go to pieces at full draw!
            I look at it this way. Is it worth the $$ to replace the string. My answer is yes. My life and well being is worth the money to have a new string on my bow after 3-4 years (If theres no visible damage to the string, sooner if there is any damage on the string).

If I didn't replace the string, I would see the biggest deer of my life, I would go to draw the bow, and the string would snap. That's just how my luck runs.

I've gotten older, perhaps maybe some would say wiser. I replace the strings on my bow 3-4 years as to be safe. Even when on a ladder stand I wear a safety vest and straps to prevent me from falling. Again safety first and as bad as it sounds, I replace those every 4-5 years too.

Anyway, I consider it a lot cheaper than going to the emergency room, and again, cheaper than buying a new bow. Even if I bought a new bow, I'd still replace the strings every 3-4 years.

Comment

I replaced the strings on my 2007 bow for the first time last month[emoji44]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All depends on how much you shoot, the quality of previous strings, how its stored, how often you waxed, etc. Relatively cheap to do for peace of mind.

Comment

I have a buddy who purchased a switchback xt in 2006 brand new.. it still has the original strings on it.. granted, he doesnt shoot it more than 2-3x a year.. but danngg, i just know one day its gonna finally give up in that bow case.

Comment

Wait, you're supposed to replace strings!

I'm on my 7th season with my Elite with the same set of strings. It has been shot a LOT but waxed religiously and always kept inside in the A/C. I thought about changing them a few years back but never got around to it.

Comment

My dad shoots a bear carnage with the stock strings still on it. I think he bought it new in 2011. Buss cable wear around the cam is what I pay the most attention to

Comment

I replaced my string/cables two years ago and have noticed some separation on the cables. I shoot fairly regularly but disappointed how quickly they have degraded. Now i have to go back and try to remember who i bought strings from so i don't purchase them again.

Comment

In my experience it doesn’t take long at all for the serving to separate on the cable by the cam. When mine would separate I would just use a fingernail and pull it back down. There’s no doubt that area is under a lot of pressure.

Comment

What is everyone paying to get strings and cables replaced at a bow shop? Is $180 way out of line?

Comment

Not that bad. Keep in mind, once you get the string replaced, you need to shoot the bow like 100-200 times over the next week. Get the string to stretch, then take the bow back, get the shop to realign your peep site, and any other tweaks they need to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X