help with crossbow string...string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with crossbow string...string

hey quick question. my crossbow string has string wrapped around it where the bolt knocks, and in practicing for opening weekend it's becoming unraveled, starting from the center. is this string that's wrapped around the other string a vital component? do i need to repair/replace it before continuing to shoot?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you’re talking about the center serving.
    Yes, you need to have it fixed. That’s what protects your string.

Comment

Time for a new string

Comment

yep. take to a bow shop for restring. Unless you have an excalibur like me, then you can do it yourself!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
          yep. take to a bow shop for restring. Unless you have an excalibur like me, then you can do it yourself!!
          Mission is just as easy to change a string.
          Also quieter, not as wide, and faster.

Comment

My matrix shoots 380 fps. That's pretty fast

Not sure how the width matters. I have never hunted in a situation where I need to keep my width to something so narrow I feel constricted.

Comment

My matrix shoots 380 fps. That's pretty fast

Not sure how the width matters. I have never hunted in a situation where I need to keep my width to something so narrow I feel constricted.
              380 with a 350 grain arrow? Slow by today’s standards...
              Of course width matters. No different than shorter axle to axle Compounds...
              The smaller, the easier it is to maneuver.

Comment

Does it really needed to be restrung? I found some serving string at academy that I can rewrap the center serving pretty easily I think. Mine is a Barnett rc-150.

Comment

80 # mono holds up good for cross bow center serving.
                  Just redo the serving

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
                    Does it really needed to be restrung? I found some serving string at academy that I can rewrap the center serving pretty easily I think. Mine is a Barnett rc-150.
                    As long as the string isn’t damaged that should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
                      I would put a new string on the bow. Is your life worth not replacing the string? Lots of things can happen if that string snaps when you fire the bow. I wouldn't want the string wrapped around my head, causing unknown injury.

Strings are what $30 bucks? You can replace it yourself. Look up on youtube, you can take the tension off the string using a screw driver thru one of the cams and libs (Watch the video).

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                        380 with a 350 grain arrow? Slow by today’s standards...
                        Of course width matters. No different than shorter axle to axle Compounds...
                        The smaller, the easier it is to maneuver.
                        Where are you maneuvering? Where I’ve hunted (really thick stuff), it’s still not an issue.

As for weight. Not sure about total, but before this year I know I was north of 400 ounces with 150 bolt cutters I was using.

Comment

Where are you maneuvering? Where I’ve hunted (really thick stuff), it’s still not an issue.

As for weight. Not sure about total, but before this year I know I was north of 400 ounces with 150 bolt cutters I was using.
                          Walking through the woods or hunting out of blinds, it doesn’t matter. The smaller the better.
                          My next bow will probably be the Ravin.
                          400 ounces? That’s 25 lb arrows!

Comment

OP, you need to have your "Center Serving" "reserved". Having the center serving separate like that can have an effect on accuracy. And it shows up more the further out that you shoot. Your point of impact will begin to drift and change. And never be what it could be with a good tight fit of your nock on the center serving. Center servings also help protect the string from damage so that accidents do not occur.

There are lots of string makers out there that can reserve your center serving on your sting so you don't have to buy a new one. Especially if there is no damage to the string it's self, just the center serving.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                              Walking through the woods or hunting out of blinds, it doesn’t matter. The smaller the better.
                              My next bow will probably be the Ravin.
                              400 ounces? That’s 25 lb arrows!

Hey, I shoot one of those!

Only my arrows are heavier than the factory 400. I added lighted nocks and 125gr heads. And get 440 ounces...uh...I mean grains.

Still, getting 443 fps with that 440gr arrow out of my R29X . But they are like a high maintenance woman, trying to keep up with them all the time with timing of the cams and serving wear being the biggest time consumers . But if you keep them in time, and spec, they are very deadly accurate out to 100 yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X