Mossberg super bantam youth shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mossberg super bantam youth shotgun

My 7yr old daughter is eat up with hunting and has 3 deer and a big gobbler under her belt so far. With that said she wants to be able to shoot during duck and dove seasons. Last Christmas the regular youth model was too heavy for her to hold up and swing good enough to hunt with but the super bantam was perfect. Has anybody got one for their kiddo? Is it worth the money or should I wait till the regular youth fits her better? I guess I just hate to spend that much on it and her outgrow in a year or so. It's over a hundred dollars more then the regular youth .

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I guess you need to decide if it’s worth it to you to take your daughter hunting this year or not. It’s a great gun. You can always sell it when she outgrows it in a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      I guess you need to decide if it’s worth it to you to take your daughter hunting this year or not. It’s a great gun. You can always sell it when she outgrows it in a couple years.
      Shoot that kid goes hunting more than most grown men do lol. She probably wouldn't do much hunting with it till dove season rolls back around. She has a birthday in the spring so I can also get her one for her birthday. Also didnt figure resale on it would be all that great either.

Comment

Small, lightweight shotguns tend to beat the snot out of kids. The bantam may solve the fit problem- but it wouldn’t be much fun to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
          Small, lightweight shotguns tend to beat the snot out of kids. The bantam may solve the fit problem- but it wouldn’t be much fun to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Thats one of my main worries about it. It weighs next to nothing so I know its gonna have some kick to it. That one of the reasons I was hoping someone had some first hand experience with it. She has shot my semi auto 20 for turkey hunting but it was off the bog pod deathgrip so it wasn't full blast

Comment

I bought my wife one maybe 10 years ago. Solid shotgun, screw in chokes. It came with a card that you can send in and get the stock and forend for when your child outgrows the youth cut down stock and put the adult wood on it. I think it cost maybe 15-20 bucks. I never ordered it, didn’t need it for my wife. But yes they do kick. It doesn’t really bother her too bad but it’s substantially more than an automatic. I’d recommend it though. Nothing she can’t handle.

Comment

Sounds like the shotgun I bought for my wife. It's the shortest, smallest shotgun I could find. She likes it, really the recoil is not bad, at least with common 7 1/2 shot. The only negative, I found with the gun, is it takes a bit of effort to work the slide. I think with use, it will loosen up. The gun I got her, is a 20 ga.
              Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 12-04-2020, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Wife’s is a 20 gauge also. I really like shooting it, great gun for the money.

Comment

This one is a good bit smaller than the regular youth model mossberg. This one is like the shotgun version of a cricket .22 lol the picture is of her at 6 yrs old shouldering it for reference

Comment

The black gun, is my wife's gun, with some full size guns for comparison. My wife's gun is a 510. Which is only 5 lbs., it's the smallest lightest shotgun Mossberg makes. My wife and daughter are both very small framed. I bought them a Remington 870 youth model 20 gauge years ago. It was way too big and heavy for both of them. But this Mossberg has a much shorter length of pull. Then the distance from the grip to the trigger is quite a bit shorter. Also the distance from the trigger to the forearm is also much shorter. Then the gun is quite a bit lighter than the youth 870. My wife complained a lot about the 870, but the Mossberg, fits her great, she really likes it.
                    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-06-2021, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Yep the 510 is the one I was looking at. Glad to hear they like it definitely makes me feel better about it. All the reviews I've seen pretty much say it works great but kicks like a mule even with light loads. But like I said she has shot a high brass turkey load out of my semi auto 20 so im betting she could handle it. Thanks for the response!

Comment

At that age, I think it's much more about whether they are ready to handle, and swing, and safely handle a shotgun, than anything else. If so, then they should be able to do so with the youth model. If recoil, weight, or anything else, is a question...then it may be a hair to early. But everyone has to judge their kids for themselves.

Comment

Working...
                        X