No announcement yet.

Need a Guide for Tuna at Venice La.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in years is a hard core Tuna guide - Capt James Peters with Osprey Charters

check out his booking calendar as he has limited openings right now

http://www.ospreycharters.net/index.htm

617# mako

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 02-01-2012, 09:06 AM.

Comment

This guy is available!

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
        This guy is available!

This guy said he's gonna be running his shrimp boat that weekend!!! lol

Comment

a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in years is a hard core Tuna guide - Capt James Peters with Osprey Charters

check out his booking calendar as he has limited openings right now

http://www.ospreycharters.net/index.htm

Will do, thanks CB

Comment

Venice Success!!!

Well guys were back home now;tired, sore and grinning from ear to ear! Capt. Eddie Burger helped us get set up with Capt. Lee McLean for last Friday and we had a blast. Capt. Lee took good care of us and put us on some great fish. We caught a nice wahoo, several black fin and yellow fin tuna. We also caught plenty of kings and a couple of sharks. We even had a hookup on a Mako estimated at about 600#-700# for a bit. Our biggest yellow fin weighed 148# and pulled like a truck. Here's a few pics.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by True Texan; 02-19-2012, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Eddie Burger is also a sure bet if you want to get into tuna, he is as good as it gets and will do anything to get you on the fish; Don't take the wahoo out of consideration, they are in thick right now...

Comment

thx for the update

for those who have never fished Venice ........ you have no clue what you're missing

Comment

Nice catch. How far did you guys go out. Just wondering cause we are starting to see a lot of Tuna boats trolling all weekend around the rig with plenty of hook ups. This was a couple weeks ago in the Missisippi Canyon Block 772 area. Starting to see big schools of blue and yellow fin jumping 10' out of the water chasing flying fish. Neat to see.

Comment

How did the Mako come unhooked? He go airborne?

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                      for those who have never fished Venice ........ you have no clue what you're missing
                      Thats exactly right, it's "Kraaazy fun!"

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                      Nice catch. How far did you guys go out. Just wondering cause we are starting to see a lot of Tuna boats trolling all weekend around the rig with plenty of hook ups. This was a couple weeks ago in the Missisippi Canyon Block 772 area. Starting to see big schools of blue and yellow fin jumping 10' out of the water chasing flying fish. Neat to see.
                      We started out trawling rigs for wahoo at about 13mi. out and made several rigs. Some of the runs between rigs were 8-10 mi. some closer. I'm not sure about the block area, but I'm pretty sure that the tuna grounds were NNW of the midnight lump. We drifted a ridge between 250'-300', I'll have to look back on a map to get a better idea of our block location. We did enter the GOM through a pass (not south pass) just south of the east pass.

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                      How did the Mako come unhooked? He go airborne?
                      We saw him a couple of times up next to the boat before the hook up, infact, he was next to the boat when he took the slab of king that we buried the hook in. That piece of king was about the size of a pair of red wing work boots and he just in hailed it like it was nothing. That was really neat to watch! He ran for about a 100yds or so before he realized he was hooked, then he started just ripping the heck out of the drag. I think he just finally spit the bait, probably never had a good hood set to begin with. One of our guys was ready with a camera, but we never got to see him go airborne. I know that it all seemed to happen really fast. Capt. Lee was on the rod and Brandon (our deck hand) was trying to help me get into the harness. He was gone before I got strapped in. That would have been the ride of my life. There were a few mako's in the area and a couple of the other boats got hooked up with one too. Early the next morning an overnighter brought in a mako that went over 600#, they posted pics on 2cool.

Comment

Lots of good eating right there. Congrats on a great trip.

Comment

Working...
                        X