"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
    Not the one I was scouting this time, but does sound vagely like another spot I have hunted.
    you are right it does not show a pond on the map for that area.
    I was mistaking.
    The property owner had told me there was a pond in this area but I never found it just a few deep creeks.

Comment

This spot does show a pond on the map, but it is not there. So I am thinking I either missed the area, or they were looking at the creek.

Comment

Did some scouting this morning, found a healthy 8pt shed, if he makes it thru the summer I think he'll be a shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
          No, it seems the hogs don't seem to stay around in an area too long. The does stay in a home range and return quite often. Bucks tend to move with bucks and they move very little until the rut kicks in. Then they will scatter everywhere. This time of year you practically have to step on them before they will get up and move. I'm looking at a spot where there are tons of deer droppings and hog droppings on the same trail. It will get some attention this year.

Thanks for the info E.TX and I hope your spot really pays off this season. Next time I'm out scouting ima pay more attention to their droppings and maybe bag a doe or two. And where there are does during the rut there are bucks

Comment

I am going to make another trip up this Saturday. I have made a couple trips and have seen deer on each trip. Looking good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
              I am going to make another trip up this Saturday. I have made a couple trips and have seen deer on each trip. Looking good so far.
              Give me a call . I can show you another pond on the west side that is not on the map.... Should still have water...

I can meet up Saturday morning ..
              Last edited by Ksig512; 07-19-2011, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Scouting Update

I went out scouting for a few hours saturday and sunday. I discovered that the ground blind I posted up about a few weeks ago is still there. I left it, was simply to much trouble to haul out for right now.

On the plus side I was leaving one of the spots I scouted saturday afternoon and saw a bachelor herd of buck in a cow pasture about 800 yards from the national forest boundary. Two of them looked pretty good, well outside the ears. There were 9 in total, all bucks.

I spooked up inumerable does and fawns. Saw at least one doe with healthy twins and lots with a single healthy fawn. Drought doesn't seem to have hurt fawn survival, at least in my observations.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                  I went out scouting for a few hours saturday and sunday. I discovered that the ground blind I posted up about a few weeks ago is still there. I left it, was simply to much trouble to haul out for right now.

On the plus side I was leaving one of the spots I scouted saturday afternoon and saw a bachelor herd of buck in a cow pasture about 800 yards from the national forest boundary. Two of them looked pretty good, well outside the ears. There were 9 in total, all bucks.

I spooked up inumerable does and fawns. Saw at least one doe with healthy twins and lots with a single healthy fawn. Drought doesn't seem to have hurt fawn survival, at least in my observations.
                  Thanks Bucksmasher for the update thats great to hear.
                  Even though we have had a drought.I don't believe East Texas deer have been hurt as much as other parts of the state. I believe there will still be some good bucks taken in East Texas. Especially with the antler restrictions
                  Last edited by HotRod Hunter; 07-20-2011, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
                    Did some scouting this morning, found a healthy 8pt shed, if he makes it thru the summer I think he'll be a shooter.
                    Pics of the shed please!

I hope your right Hot Rod Hunter...... I also hope that I am one of the ones that does the nice buck shootin ;-)
                    Last edited by BuckSmasher; 07-20-2011, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I have visited the same pond, and have fished it.... There are a few small perch in there, but not any bass to speak of.
                      Kody

Comment

Ok I'll be scouting the East side early am. Then I hopefully will meet up with Ksig (i'll call you) and scout the West side. Then I hope to head to my secret spot and place a trail camera. Hopefully there will be a couple bucks on it.

Comment

Hi fella's. Great site and thanks for sharing the info. I'm pretty much a complete noob to this area and to hunting, sorta. I'm a late bloomer at geting the hunter ed done, mostly because I've never known what to do or where to go before, so I'm about to just tackle this stuff and see what happens. I'm no stranger to the outdoors, just these local outdoors. Hopefully I get to meet some of you, since you seem pretty nice and open to giving some guidance, and I promise not to purposely step on any toes in the field, and I'll try to be as quiet and curtious as possible while I begin to learn this stuff. I'm savng hard for a bow and equipment to start with, but plan on trying some small game and pig hunts with a rifle during times that are less crowded to put some meat on the table, but wanted to ask you guys in this area where the best and most affordable place is to get game processed?
                          I've enjoyed all the hours I've spent so far reading and learning what you've said about this forrest and can't wait to get out there and explore. Thanks for all the help I've read, and Thanks for any help I get in the future.

AJMag

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                            Hi fella's. Great site and thanks for sharing the info. I'm pretty much a complete noob to this area and to hunting, sorta. I'm a late bloomer at geting the hunter ed done, mostly because I've never known what to do or where to go before, so I'm about to just tackle this stuff and see what happens. I'm no stranger to the outdoors, just these local outdoors. Hopefully I get to meet some of you, since you seem pretty nice and open to giving some guidance, and I promise not to purposely step on any toes in the field, and I'll try to be as quiet and curtious as possible while I begin to learn this stuff. I'm savng hard for a bow and equipment to start with, but plan on trying some small game and pig hunts with a rifle during times that are less crowded to put some meat on the table, but wanted to ask you guys in this area where the best and most affordable place is to get game processed?
                            I've enjoyed all the hours I've spent so far reading and learning what you've said about this forrest and can't wait to get out there and explore. Thanks for all the help I've read, and Thanks for any help I get in the future.

AJMag
                            H&S meat market in Conroe is pretty good ........

Comment

when it comes to processing meat. i do it myself. saves a TON of money.

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                                when it comes to processing meat. i do it myself. saves a TON of money.
                                I thought about that, and I'm sure I'll try with a hog. Just need to figure out what to do with left over unusables like the head and stuff. I haven't visited the ranger office yet to find out all the answers to questions I have, such as if you can quarter animals and leave the excess carcass or what. I'm sure the neighbors would love to see a chunk of deer hanging out of the bin on pick up morning. I did see on the 10-11 thread that gutting is legal to leave, but that's also another question I plan to verify for myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X