"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newronin View Post
    I am new to Texas and hog hunting and have been to Granger four times with no luck. I hunted both sides of the parking lot at the kayak launch at Gate #7 and Willis Creek. I have come to three conclusions 1) there are no hogs in the area and 2) if armadillos tasted like venison I would have tagged out and 3) they need to open the area to general bowhunting for deer instead of a draw. I have seen more deer in a two hour trek than I saw in Michigan in a whole season. And a couple of them were really nice bucks.

Any advise on finding the hogs at Granger this time of year?
    Dude it took me a year of hunting there multiple times a week before I killed a pig. Lots of guys swear by consistently baiting an area near thick cover and sitting in a blind nearby. Sunset to last light is your best chance. I just find it a bit boring. After deer season wraps up I'll be out there a bunch, at least until it greens up. I'm no expert hog hunter but I'd be happy to keep you company while bushwhacking around.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am new to Texas and hog hunting and have been to Granger four times with no luck. I hunted both sides of the parking lot at the kayak launch at Gate #7 and Willis Creek. I have come to three conclusions 1) there are no hogs in the area and 2) if armadillos tasted like venison I would have tagged out and 3) they need to open the area to general bowhunting for deer instead of a draw. I have seen more deer in a two hour trek than I saw in Michigan in a whole season. And a couple of them were really nice bucks.

Any advise on finding the hogs at Granger this time of year?
      Btw, brace yourself for some razzing and misinformation on this thread. The granger veterans like to give newbs a hard time. It's all in good fun though.

Comment

I still just wanna know if the cow survived. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar69 View Post
          I still just wanna know if the cow survived. Lol

I honestly didn’t go back. I didn’t have much hope for her and would rather just hope she made it.

Comment

Hunting hogs at Granger has allot to do about wearing out boots and being in right place at right time. Couple guys pushing some thick stuff with a posted hunter on the exit route works too. Three is a good number. During the February Granger Ranger Xtreme Hunt there is usually a bunch of fellas driving pigs and more likely to have one run in front of you. Worked for me, see avatar.

Comment

Well y’all peaked my interest, unfortunately she didn’t make it.

This is how I found her.

We got her from that hole to dry ground.

She never moved from that spot. [emoji22]

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post
                Btw, brace yourself for some razzing and misinformation on this thread. The granger veterans like to give newbs a hard time. It's all in good fun though.

Thanks for the advise Deaf. I make take you up on the offer. I just can't see how so many guys talk about the hog problem in the area and yet they are so hard to find. They should be talking about the deer problem! LOL.

Comment

Thanks for the advise Deaf. I make take you up on the offer. I just can't see how so many guys talk about the hog problem in the area and yet they are so hard to find. They should be talking about the deer problem! LOL.
                  Granger has lots of hogs. They just tend to be where people aren't... Cover 10 mile out there stomping on every thick brush pile and you'll see them. The trick is seeing them before they're running. When I started hunting out there I moved fast, and covered a lot of ground, saw lots of hogs too, but had nothing remotely close to a shot. I slowed down and saw fewer pigs, but have more shot opportunities now.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                    Granger has lots of hogs. They just tend to be where people aren't... Cover 10 mile out there stomping on every thick brush pile and you'll see them. The trick is seeing them before they're running. When I started hunting out there I moved fast, and covered a lot of ground, saw lots of hogs too, but had nothing remotely close to a shot. I slowed down and saw fewer pigs, but have more shot opportunities now.
                    That's how I learned too. Move far and fast at first. Once you figure out the type of stuff they like slow way down and concentrate your efforts on the best areas

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post
                      That's how I learned too. Move far and fast at first. Once you figure out the type of stuff they like slow way down and concentrate your efforts on the best areas

I am well on my way to earning my boot on the ground time, i must just be looking in the wrong places. i went through some thick god awful areas on Thursday and no hog sign or hogs. However saw a couple really nice bucks and I have yet to see another hunter in the woods, although i see their vehicles and sometimes their stands. I will keep at it as long as my time allows.

Comment

I promise I'm not saying this as a joke, but try Sore Finger. It's a long walk. They aren't always in there. But sometimes they're all over that place.

Comment

I promise I'm not saying this as a joke, but try Sore Finger. It's a long walk. They aren't always in there. But sometimes they're all over that place.
                          Thanks, I will look into it!

Comment

Hogstalker
                            Thanks for the update. Guess if I got off my butt I could have checked myself since I am only 15 minutes away. Found one last year that was already gone and developing quite the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar69 View Post
                              Hogstalker
                              Thanks for the update. Guess if I got off my butt I could have checked myself since I am only 15 minutes away. Found one last year that was already gone and developing quite the smell.

There’s a blind about 30 yards from where she got stuck. I feel bad for that hunter. It’s going to be ripe here shortly. Maybe they’ll get a shot at a yote.

Comment

I went out to Sore Finger today. I had a good time, but didn't see any hogs. A few tracks but no hogs or even droppings. It should be called "Sore Feet", Trumpkin wasn't kidding about the walk. I can see why the hogs would like that area. Pretty thick around the lake and most people would not make the hike. It is better reached by boat than foot. I saw a lot less trash than in the other areas I tried. I also watched a 145+ inch buck at 75 yards in an open areas along the lake moving does. But once again no hogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X