Official 2020 - 2021 Lakes Whitney and Aquilla hunting and fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    In all my years, Whitney has never been a draw except for "Deer Shotgun" during the general season (permits were only good for one week). The Steiner Vally area was the only rifle legal unit back then, and included in the permit system. And that was all done away with (archery only now) when a certain Ranger got transferred from Waco to Whitney/Aquilla (I'll withhold the name for that person's privacy). As for Aquilla, Aquilla was with Whitney when I first started hunting down there. No permit there needed on that lake till TP&W signed a contract with ACE for exclusive rights for the Type II Walk-in program. Once that contract expired, it was treated just like Whitney.

And yes, Aquilla can be just like Granger or worse pending water level and where your trying to get to. So be on your toes. Pre scout it and use a GPS with little to no "Off-Set".

About the "Deer shotgun" permits: Everybody was a duckhunter when you didn't have a deer permit. "Duck Hunt-n wars" come to mind.
    Thank you. Hoping to get out and scout soon.

Really appreciate it. That's the kind of info I've been looking for. I'll find my own spots. Just wanted to know if there was any stuff like that I needed to know.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Great talking to you Justin, the last area I webt to had a gamewarden watching the arwa. A real nice young gur out if Johnson coynty

Comment

Any of y’all use the boat to access the public land? I’m curious if you have had any trouble with people messing with your boat. Or maybe PETA cutting your line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeansInChili View Post
          Any of y’all use the boat to access the public land? I’m curious if you have had any trouble with people messing with your boat. Or maybe PETA cutting your line!

I do it on waco. But the spots I boat in too are a really long walk from access points. And I take all my gear out of the boat when I do it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Went and corned. Had a cam out and got some decent pics. Had one guy walk through my dads set up and my spot looks like someone found my cam an deleted my pics. Atleast they didn't take the camera. Pulled the cams out and corned again. Hopefully we can get my dad one next weekend

Comment

Originally posted by BeansInChili View Post

First, if nobody has "Welcomed" you, glad you made it here. And welcome.

Yes, I have, many times used a boat. And have had stuff stolen out of my boats over the years. Even had some bass fishermen move one small boat I had, to the other side. Guess they thought it somehow drifted over there and anchored it's self to the shore ? That was a long walk back.

And everybody else thinks about using a boat as well. I camped one evening several years ago. Got up just before sunup and stayed in camp. I could hear lots of boats in the dark. I just motored the lake in the morning after sun up. And counted well over 50 boats on the shorelines. Thing is about hunting this place, if you think you have found something special, be it tree or spot, it's most likely fact that someone else in the past, has thought the same thing. I went back to walking/packing in after that during deer season. You just have to go further than others to get away from everyone.
              Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-25-2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

I have been fishing Whitney for a few years now (family has a place there) and haven’t seen many people deer hunting, only duck hunting. Based on your statement I guess I didn’t see them. I was hoping to access some land that has low pressure but it sounds like a lot of people use boats.

I’m fine packing in. I plan to saddle hunt this year so that will cut down on weight. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you have a successful year.

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
                  Went and corned. Had a cam out and got some decent pics. Had one guy walk through my dads set up and my spot looks like someone found my cam an deleted my pics. Atleast they didn't take the camera. Pulled the cams out and corned again. Hopefully we can get my dad one next weekend

That’s odd. Glad you didn’t get your gear stolen!

Comment

Opening day of duck season always sounds like the 4th of July on Lake A & W!!! I’m usually sitting in a tree thinking there is no way in heck the deer are going to be moving with all these booms!!!

Comment

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post
                      Opening day of duck season always sounds like the 4th of July on Lake A & W!!! I’m usually sitting in a tree thinking there is no way in heck the deer are going to be moving with all these booms!!!

They still move Eric. I've watched them from a tree moving on the A lake. Lots of them over there. Some real monsters too.

Good to see you posting brother!

Actually, the shots have little effect on the deer. And I really have watched them and what they do, from a tree several times. They just carry about what they are doing.

Comment

Anyone having any luck in this cooler weather? I can't WAIT to get back out there...

Comment

Bucks and pigs are on the move at home.

Comment

I bet they are moving. Wish I wasn't at work. Gonna try them this weekend.

Comment

LW sighting, two post up!

Comment

Good luck, gents.

Comment

Working...
                                X