Efficient Short Barrel Caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efficient Short Barrel Caliber

Getting ready for next APR rifle build, wanting a efficient caliber in a 20-22 inch barrel and be a hammer on whitetails and exotics.

What’s the best caliber to get without losing to much velocity?

.308 will probably be the most efficient. I am a fan of the 7-08. Anything based on the .308 case would be a good option.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
      .308 will probably be the most efficient. I am a fan of the 7-08. Anything based on the .308 case would be a good option.
      I said Hammer

Comment

That 277 Furry, looks like it should be a pretty good round for a 20" ish barrel. The number they got out of I think a 16" barrel are pretty impressive.

If you go to a large case, with a 20"-22" barrel, you will just wind up with that much more unburnt powder coming out the end of the muzzle, resulting in a larger muzzle flash.

That 6.5 PRC, maybe, but I have not looked at what powders are typically used in it and what are the typical barrel lengths used.

My other suggestion, would be a big bore gun, with a smaller capacity case, like a 45 Raptor, maybe a 450 Marlin, maybe a 350 Remington Mag.

Comment

I’ll second the 7-08. I’ve got an APR with a 20” barrel. I’m shooting the 162 gr ELD-M at 2640. Doesn’t sound like much, but it’s devastating. It’s taken a couple dozen animals, including two cow elk (300 and 400 yds), and performed extremely well. I believe I was getting 2850 fps with a 140, and 3000 fps with a 120 gr NBT. All hand loads.

Comment

Good info guys

Comment

35 Whelen

358win

348 win mag

Comment

I’ll also add, if you’re a handloader, the 7-08 AI. APR with a 22” barrel, I’m seeing:

2800 with a 162 ELDM
                2803 with a 165 Sierra GC/TGK
                3020 with a 140 Nosler AB.
                3155 with a 120 Nosler BT

All velocities averaged over a LabRadar. To put that in perspective, my buddies APR 280 AI with a 24” barrel shooting Federal Premium 168 Berger’s was only running around 2850 if I remember correctly. With a lot more powder than the 7-08. Granted, we got much better velocity handloading the 280. Just food for thought, and more data for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  35 Whelen

358win

348 win mag
                  Would like a lazor out to 300-400yds

Comment

Pretty much anything 30 cal or bigger. Since velocity is not going to be there with ultra short barrels you need KO power of a large diameter to knock them off their feet. Look at what them 30-30's and bigger been doing for the last 150 years. I've always liked the idea of having a rifle in .41 rem mag. flatter trajectory than a 44 mag and upwards of 1700 fps out of a 20" barrel with a 265 grain Elmer Keith flat nose and 1700 ft/lbs muzzle energy would put the hurt on a big hog or grizzly. Of course it's not long range but then neither am I

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                      Would like a lazor out to 300-400yds
                      Everything drops enough past 300 that you need to at the very least estimate range and use a hold over. If you’ve got a rangefinder and a scope where you can dial drop on the turret, it’s a non-issue.

Even a .257 Weatherby zeroed at 250 drops almost a foot at 400.
                      Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 01-23-2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

My reload for my 20" 308 is equivalent to the energy of a 30-06. I've never had a whitetail take one step after being hit. How much more of a hammer you need?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out .338 federal. Should be right up your alley.

Comment

Not many standard SA cartridges in a 20" barrel are really going to fill the 'Laser' category, which in my mind is getting into the 3100 fps+ realm.

I think the 22cm and 6cm will probably be the only two that really fit that niche.

A 22cm with a 20" barrel shooting 75-80ELDMs would be pretty awesome. And you could bump to a LRX or Hammer mono for slightly larger critters.

The 6cm gives a lot of flexibility too 87gr Vmax on up to 115 class bullets

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                              Not many standard SA cartridges in a 20" barrel are really going to fill the 'Laser' category, which in my mind is getting into the 3100 fps+ realm.

I think the 22cm and 6cm will probably be the only two that really fit that niche.

A 22cm with a 20" barrel shooting 75-80ELDMs would be pretty awesome. And you could bump to a LRX or Hammer mono for slightly larger critters.

The 6cm gives a lot of flexibility too 87gr Vmax on up to 115 class bullets
                              Wouldn’t want to shoot ST whitetails with anything less than 115s, would like something 3000fps+ 150grains

Nailgi and big exotics on the list also
                              Last edited by RMW; 01-23-2021, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X