Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Not?

Quick Question.

Why Not hunt near the area where you have fed protein all spring and summer?
    Have seen this rule in lease rule books and it as even been mentioned on my current lease.
    What would be the reasoning behind this?

We have fed protein for several years on my current lease. Our gravity feeders are hit hard from April - Aug. We seem to have a mature bachelor group at each of the feeders for most of the offseason. Other younger bucks hit the feeders, but most trail cam pics show a regular group of 5-6 bucks that eat the majority of the feed. Usually let the feeders run dry around Labor Day.

I have noticed that we have our resident bucks that stay, but about 50-60% of the bucks that hit the gravity feeders all summer disappear early in Oct. Some of these bucks are never seen at the slingers. Have had the thought of moving my larger protein feeder into a feed pen near my hunting area.

Just seems odd to feed 10,000# of protein to deer I never see.

Do it. I think the reason is so that there is no pressure put on any deer at the protein feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
      Do it. I think the reason is so that there is no pressure put on any deer at the protein feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Bingo.

It is so deer never slow down on the protein consumption, thus leaving them in better condition through (and leaving) the season. This in turn leads to better bucks next year and, through epigenetics, better bucks well into the future.

Epigenetics is an interesting phenomena. Doe health not only effects a fawn’s direct health, but can be a factor in certain genetic traits being turned on or off in the fawn’s DNA. Those traits, otherwise not turned on in a fawn from a struggling/unhealthy doe, can effect the deer it’s entire life. El Gato has talked about it some, and considers the nutritional plane of utmost importance.

Comment

This would make sense if the protein feeders where filled year round. Since they run dry around Labor Day. NO deer are visiting said protein feeders during season or being hunted over a protein feeder. I guess this would be no different than a Hunter filling slingers with protein mix or supplemental feed during off season, only to turn around, fill with corn and hunt over said feeders during season.

I would even agree with a living a block of land off limits as a deer sanctuary. But feeding deer that you will never see is a little confusing.

Comment

I understand the need to maintain a healthy genetics and such, but, to feed and bulk up just so they can go and jump to the fence to the next property for the lease guys that just throw corn out in front of there blinds,
          just don't seem right.... but
          nimodo

Comment

Move it and keep it filled year around. Those bucks will stay on it and might slip up for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
            X