Unit 9 Elk Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unit 9 Elk Success

9/18 my dad and I took off for New Mexico. The hunting was tough for the most part. We were hunting a 22,000 private ranch that was bordered by Indian reservation. Usually they are shooting anything that walks in the reservation and that pushes the elk back into this private ranch. Unfortunately do to Covid, no hunting was taking place on the res this year so elk could wander freely into the res with no fear of getting shot.

We hunted hard for 5 days with some close calls on smaller bulls. Finally on the last evening I was perched up in a tree stand overlooking a waterhole. About 5:30 elk started filtering in and out working right past me at 15-20 yards. I passed a small 4x4 thinking that it would pay off if I could remain patient. This was my view!

Small 4x4 I passed

50 yards to the opposite side of the tank. Between 5:30 and 7:15 I saw close to 10 cows and 5-6 calves.

I heard a couple bulls bugling from across the pond heading my way. I could tell they weren’t coming from a really big elk but was anxious to see what they were. As light was fading I see the first bull break out of the timber and head to the pond. I think it was a 5x5 that was probably a 3/4 year old. I had eyes on him and heard a bugle directly behind him. About that time a spike comes in from my right and joins the group at the water. Just as I was about to be resigned to the fact that I would be going home empty handed another bull came out of the timber across the pond about 150 yards away. He heads directly to the water and starts drinking at 51 yards. I could tell he wasn’t huge but I also knew he was probably going to be the last bull I would see.

I told myself that if he turned I would send an arrow his way. About that time he turned and walked the edge of the pond perfectly broadside and let out a bugle. That was all I needed. I drew undetected and got my 50 yard pin settled on him. I felt good about the shot and watched my lighted nock head his way. It looked like I hit a little forward of my aiming point and the nock disappeared. I thought it was a pass through or at least buried inside him as he took off. I knew he was hit hard and was able to keep eyes on him for about 100 yards until he got in the trees. I thought he was down just inside the trees but I elected to get out of the stand and head over to my dads stand which was about 20 minutes in the Polaris. Luckily the outfitter was picking up my dad at the same time that I pulled up. This saved us a ton of time. I was hunting about 40 minutes down the mountain from camp.

We head back to my stand and immediately found good blood on the waters edge. Everyone else was following the blood and I cast out ahead where I thought I heard him crash. I found him in a matter of minutes and still had no idea how many points he was or how big he was. I just knew he was a legal bull and I had 5 minutes left in my hunt!

After walking up to him we discovered he was a 5x3 that was a good animal to take. He was probably only 4 years old but he should of been better then he was. Having my dad there to share it with was awesome!

Grizz Trick 2 tore him up pretty good!

I thought that I had a pass through but my nock exploded on impact and that Is why it disappeared as soon as it hit. I don’t know if my arrow went through and stopped in the opposite shoulder or what but it tore up his lungs.

The second afternoon I passed on a bigger 5x5 then this guy but have no regrets. He was probably a 260” bull.
    All in all it was a great elk hunt and I brought home some meat. Not the bull I went for but still a memorable week in the elk woods.
    Here are a couple random shots from the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TildenHunter; 10-01-2020, 11:05 AM.

Wow, great trip. I want to do something like this. What does it cost to be on that ranch?

Comment

Congrats on the Elk, good write up and thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
        Wow, great trip. I want to do something like this. What does it cost to be on that ranch?
        Thanks, I will send you a PM

Comment

Great pictures. Glad you had fun and were with your Dad.

Comment

Awesome trip. Congrats on the bull

Comment

Very nice, Thanks for the write up.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats on the hunt!

Comment

Every Elk is a trophy! Great write up!

Comment

Congrats! Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Nicely done! Congrats on the freezer filler!!

Comment

Been wondering how your hunt went. Way to get it done on the last evening!

Comment

Good shot! Congrats!

Comment

Awesome!!!!
                            Congrats on the bow kill. Nice bull and even better you got to share that hunt with your dad!!! Doesn’t get any better than that.

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed seeing it.

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X