Some advice please - nocturnal deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some advice please - nocturnal deer

I have a 1200 acre lease in Grimes county. It is a working cattle ranch and a such has little cover save form a number of creeks and large neighbors with good cover. We have 10 stands and feeders and killed 2 very nice bucks and 5 doe this past season.

The concern is we have a lot of night time pics of deer at each feeder almost every night however it s not uncommon to hunt all weekend and not see a deer during the day. We do have pigs and they too are nocturnal. One thought is to shut down a few of the feeders so as to create a little more competition and also move the feeders closer to the neighboring fence lines.

As mentioned this is a working cattle ranch so there are a lot of cows. We could have 300 cows in anyone pasture at any time. Could that ultimately be our problem??

Would like some advice from those of you that have experienced the same and what you did to improve your odds of seeing more deer during the daylight.

Many Thanks
    Raleigh

In the same boat. LO is clearing all brush of property. The areas that he completed just about ruined the afternoon hunt. If I do see a deer it is at last minute of shooting light.

Comment

Do you have a feed pen? If not I would build one, and have that feeder feed morning only. Have it dump just enough to keep deer there through the mornings, but it’s all cleaned up before dark. That will take some time to get it feeding the right amount. Start feeding a small amount then increase it as the deer show up and eat more.
      Then I would have another feeder in an area where hogs are more likely to be. Do not fence that one in. The hogs will figure out where they can eat and will dominate that feeder. The deer will be forced to the feeder pen. If they want to eat they will have to start coming out in the daytime.

Comment

There is no such thing as a nocturnal deer. They simply can’t lay up that long. There is however deer that know better than going to a metal barrel in the daylight. They know there is danger there

They are on their feet somewhere in daylight.... might not be on you, but somewhere. Run the feeders, if they use them.... but that don’t mean you by some law have to hunt looking at it.

If they are within an hour of dusk you are probably close (few hundred yards). If they are 2-3:00am those deer could realistically be a mile or more away during the day. No feeder strategy is going to change that

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Do you have a feed pen? If not I would build one, and have that feeder feed morning only. Have it dump just enough to keep deer there through the mornings, but it’s all cleaned up before dark. That will take some time to get it feeding the right amount. Start feeding a small amount then increase it as the deer show up and eat more.
          Then I would have another feeder in an area where hogs are more likely to be. Do not fence that one in. The hogs will figure out where they can eat and will dominate that feeder. The deer will be forced to the feeder pen. If they want to eat they will have to start coming out in the daytime.
          Hmm, you might be on to something. Yes we have feed pens around all of our feeders however we could feed only in the morning and get the deer used to feeding earlier at least thru the spring and summer. We could then feed morning and afternoon this fall. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            There is no such thing as a nocturnal deer. They simply can’t lay up that long. There is however deer that know better than going to a metal barrel in the daylight. They know there is danger there

They are on their feet somewhere in daylight.... might not be on you, but somewhere. Run the feeders, if they use them.... but that don’t mean you by some law have to hunt looking at it.

If they are within an hour of dusk you are probably close (few hundred yards). If they are 2-3:00am those deer could realistically be a mile or more away during the day. No feeder strategy is going to change that
            Yes understood. Both bucks were killed on hand corn about 100 yards from a feeder.

Comment

What deer are you seeing in the pics at night? Mostly does and younger bucks?
              Have you set up cameras on a throw down pile?

My mature bucks won’t really hit a feeder. However, they will hammer the throw down corn during the day and night. They will even eat out of a wooden trough or small pvc feeder. Both of which are within 30 yards of the house. They seemed to have learned what food source is less likely to get them shot at. I’m in Madison count on 65 acres.

Comment

After transitioning to hunting bedding areas (public) I have learned that deer are never really nocturnal. They will move around numerous times throughout the day no matter how highly pressured, but only in their absolute core comfort zone. With y’all’s lack of cover, that leads me to assume that most of the bucks on your place are bedding on the neighbors.

I would do everything you can to convince the rancher to build cover, and I would do everything you can to reduce perceived pressure at feeders. Aside from those things, you’re at the buck’s mercy for daylight movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Raleigh View Post
                  Hmm, you might be on to something. Yes we have feed pens around all of our feeders however we could feed only in the morning and get the deer used to feeding earlier at least thru the spring and summer. We could then feed morning and afternoon this fall. Thanks for the advice.
                  You’re welcome. Good luck.

Comment

Big Feed pen at least 10 panels each..however 15 is preferred to reduce likelihood of cow problems and switch to timed corn and protein feeders. It may take them awhile to adjust to the feeder pens..but once they do. If its big enough they will stay close. They learn they can get in the pen and away from the cows and hogs.. My deer sleep in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
                      Big Feed pen at least 10 panels each..however 15 is preferred to reduce likelihood of cow problems and switch to timed corn and protein feeders. It may take them awhile to adjust to the feeder pens..but once they do. If its big enough they will stay close. They learn they can get in the pen and away from the cows and hogs.. My deer sleep in mine.
                      That is step one. We realized we need to build bigger pens which we will do this spring. I really like the idea of feeding only in the AM for awhile. I think that will help as well. We are seeing all manners of deer on trail cam pics; mature bucks, does, etc..

You guys provided some real good advice which we will implement.
                      Many Thanks

Comment

East Texas? Pfffttt.. spot light their azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post

Ditto

Comment

Timed protein feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                              Timed protein feeders.
                              Train the deer to hunt you. They'll learn quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X