Top Drive on a Ranger Crew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Drive on a Ranger Crew?

Anyone put a top drive on a Ranger crew? It's a full size 1000. I kinda want to but not sure on stability (would make it from aluminum) but terrain is flat.

man that sounds scary. Lots of roll side to side on a ranger when just driving from down low. Can imagine transferring more weight 6 feet up on top. I would say if your place is 100% south Texas flat and no hills or slanted roads then maybe. any other terrain, no way.

Comment

The thought of this gives me chills.

Comment

yup.....no thanks....be like riding a tall unicycle.

Comment

There's a couple pics on the net of UTV top drives. You'll be fine, you can always put wheel spacers and stiffer springs to help with body roll. Aluminum up top and a cooler in the bed should help with center of gravity.

Comment

Cut the cage and go half top drive?? More like critter getter height!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just put some training wheel outriggers on it to keep you upright.

Comment

Man I wouldn't, for the same reasons listed above. The stability on those things is just not meant to designed to be top heavy. I've stood on mine, worked from it even, and found it best to tie it down somehow. There far too much give.

Comment

It would be cool to put a blind on the roof to hunt out of at times. I have been using a rack and a yeti in my bed to sit on the side of a few hills on our ranch. It works well but would be nice to sit a bit higher.

Comment

My bil has one in Mexico. You definitely dont want to go fast but its actually pretty stable. What you need to do is leave the bottom drive hooked so you can run to your spot then get on top to hunt or putt around looking for game. Thats how they use it and it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                      man that sounds scary. Lots of roll side to side on a ranger when just driving from down low. Can imagine transferring more weight 6 feet up on top. I would say if your place is 100% south Texas flat and no hills or slanted roads then maybe. any other terrain, no way.
                      I don’t think it’s a good idea. I have a high seat on the back of my crew and with just 2 people up there I can really feel the difference when navigating rough terrain, it will make you get out and walk in the country we hunt out west. Firming up the suspension helps some but still really tippy feeling with any weight up high.

Comment

If you could keep kids from getting on top and driving it, sounds risky

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                          Anyone put a top drive on a Ranger crew? It's a full size 1000. I kinda want to but not sure on stability (would make it from aluminum) but terrain is flat.
                          Aluminum I think you be just fine. You are prolly only going just above cab hight. I would think youd be fine. Its not like you are taking corners fast or even over 5 to 10 miles an hour in a top drive anyways.

Comment

Its doable but full size vehicles are better

Comment

I have a blind that we put on the roof of our crew. It's noticeable up there and our ranger is a little wider than stock... I don't know that i'd want to drive it from up there but makes a great afternoon blind on the edge of the pasture with the kids.

Comment

Working...
                              X