Which lens for a beginner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife has a cannon t3i and wants some new glass for taking pictures of our daughter. Which lens is forms for that ?

Tamron 16-300
    Or
    Cannon ef 50mm f/1.8

Thanks guys. May get both and will they go with other cameras if she decides to upgrade bodies ?

That 50 f1.8 is hard to beat for the price. If you can find the budget for a 24-105 it makes a great walk around lens.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
      That 50 f1.8 is hard to beat for the price. If you can find the budget for a 24-105 it makes a great walk around lens.
      Thanks I’ll look into it

Comment

The 24-105 is a solid lens for sure. The 70-200 f2.8 is mo betta though [emoji6]

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

50mm all day for portrait type shots if you're looking between those two choices.

Comment

It’s hard to say. I think it depends what she wants to photograph.

50mm will give you a really cool depth of field for “artsy” images.

The other is really good for a variety of shooting at different distances.

If she wants to take artsy photos go with the 50mm. If she wants to take pictures of thing far and close, go with the other one.

I use a 50mm for low light situations. I have an 18-105mm that I use to shoot everything none wildlife. Then I have a 75-300mm for shooting wildlife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe I’ll get both

Comment

It wouldn’t hurt! You could probably pick up a used 50mm pretty cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                  The 24-105 is a solid lens for sure. The 70-200 f2.8 is mo betta though [emoji6]

Sierracharlie out…

That’s why I have both. I hate the weight of carrying that 70-200, but i get some phenomenal pictures with it.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
                    That’s why I have both. I hate the weight of carrying that 70-200, but i get some phenomenal pictures with it.
                    I know what you mean. Those bigger lenses can be a pain to carry for long periods of time.

Comment

The 50mm is a must have in my opinion. For the cost, it can't be beat.

Comment

Everyone should have a 50 F1.8. No excuses! lol

You should be able to score a used Canon Nifty 50 for DIRT cheap. Like under 100 bucks cheap. You won't regret it.

Some of my favorite photos have been from my Nikon 50mm F1.8

Comment

Thanks fellas I am going to get the 50 for sure. Then another one just because.

Comment

Crap I forgot to mention, with the 1.6x crop sensor on your T3 that 50mm will effectively be a 80mm so if you want something closer to a 50mm field of view a 35mm or 30mm is what you want.

With that said a 50mm is a great short telephoto option for crop sensor cameras. Would be great for portraits and you'd get a bit more "reach" than a true 50mm FOV

Comment

Thank you for the input. Look to pick it up this week. Just got to learn out to get off of auto. I bought a book called “understanding exposure” seems to be pretty informative. I also keep reading Shane’s post on aperture, iso ... lots to learn but looks like I am more interested than my wife at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X