Mini Barndo Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Barndo Build

My brother in law and sister just went under contract on 11 acres around Graford, and are looking to build a miniature Barndo in it for a temporary (5-6 years) living quarters. I’ve built my share of these, and while I’m capable of building it they’re just too far away for me to knock it out currently. I’m still going to do the land clearing for them, driveway, and dirt work. That’s about as much time as I can spare currently though. I’ve got a buddy that lives 30 miles away who is going to quote us this weekend. I’m just trying to get a good estimate to base our expectations off of. I used to build any type of steel structure for a living, but that’s been 10+ years ago. Which is why my brother in law has requested my assistance in the matter.

My question is this. They’re looking to build a 24x30ish Barndo that has a bedroom, a living area, and a loft a top the bedroom for the kids bunk room. A single bathroom with a throne, sink, and shower only. Heating/cooling will be handled with a mini split, which I can have installed for a few cases of beer. I’m thinking either stained concrete for flooring due to the ease of cleanup. A very basic counter top, cabinets, and kitchen setup. There is electricity to the lot already, but septic and well will both need to be installed/drilled.. It’s a second home for them, and meant to last them until the kids are out of day care and we can take our time building a proper Barndo, and use this as a guest house. So seeing as this won’t be anything fancy what is a reasonable expected cost for something like this. More like a permanent deer camp cabin that’s made to last, but not fancy.

Just remembered the concrete pad will need to be 32x38 due to an 8’ wraparound porch with awning on two sides. One length ways and the other width ways.

I just did this and contracted most of it out except for finishing the inside such as paneling, cabinets, flooring, etc. All in with septic and plumbing I'm probably $45k. Tax appraiser valued it about $55k. You'll be in for significantly less doing most of the work yourself. I used the mini-splits and love them. I put two in here and have one in another barn. Haven't really got comfortable with potable water. I'm using a windmill well ran into a storage tank and pumped to the house for toilet, shower and washing. The county did a bacteria test and recommended bleach in the tank and well. I'll have a more through test done before drinking it. Depending on your drilling costs and soil a state approved septic and well may run $15-$20K.

Comment

I was quoted 36000.00 for a 40x50 slab n metal bldg. 7500.00 for sprayed foam. I'm an hour NW of Grafford in Archer county

Comment

I was quoted $32K. for erected metal building with 3 walk ins doors, 8 windows and two roll ups Doors . Slab cost me $17K.
        10 foot awning in rear (30’ side)
        And cover/porch over front people door.

Brown Co.

Big pig
        Last edited by Big pig; 06-18-2020, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
          I just did this and contracted most of it out except for finishing the inside such as paneling, cabinets, flooring, etc. All in with septic and plumbing I'm probably $45k. Tax appraiser valued it about $55k. You'll be in for significantly less doing most of the work yourself. I used the mini-splits and love them. I put two in here and have one in another barn. Haven't really got comfortable with potable water. I'm using a windmill well ran into a storage tank and pumped to the house for toilet, shower and washing. The county did a bacteria test and recommended bleach in the tank and well. I'll have a more through test done before drinking it. Depending on your drilling costs and soil a state approved septic and well may run $15-$20K.
          If they could be all in at 45k they’d be ecstatic. I’m thinking realistically $55-60k but I could be way off. What size is yours?

I can do everything myself but the septic, well, and electric tie in. Time isn’t in the cards right now unfortunately. It would be a real money saver if so.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
            I was quoted $32K. for erected metal building with 3 walk ins doors, 8 windows and two roll ups Doors . Slab cost me $17K.
            10 foot awning in rear (30’ side)
            And cover/porch over front people door.

Brown Co.

Big pig
            Insulated and Finished out inside?

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              My brother in law and sister just went under contract on 11 acres around Graford, and are looking to build a miniature Barndo in it for a temporary (5-6 years) living quarters. I’ve built my share of these, and while I’m capable of building it they’re just too far away for me to knock it out currently. I’m still going to do the land clearing for them, driveway, and dirt work. That’s about as much time as I can spare currently though. I’ve got a buddy that lives 30 miles away who is going to quote us this weekend. I’m just trying to get a good estimate to base our expectations off of. I used to build any type of steel structure for a living, but that’s been 10+ years ago. Which is why my brother in law has requested my assistance in the matter.

My question is this. They’re looking to build a 24x30ish Barndo that has a bedroom, a living area, and a loft a top the bedroom for the kids bunk room. A single bathroom with a throne, sink, and shower only. Heating/cooling will be handled with a mini split, which I can have installed for a few cases of beer. I’m thinking either stained concrete for flooring due to the ease of cleanup. A very basic counter top, cabinets, and kitchen setup. There is electricity to the lot already, but septic and well will both need to be installed/drilled.. It’s a second home for them, and meant to last them until the kids are out of day care and we can take our time building a proper Barndo, and use this as a guest house. So seeing as this won’t be anything fancy what is a reasonable expected cost for something like this. More like a permanent deer camp cabin that’s made to last, but not fancy.

Just remembered the concrete pad will need to be 32x38 due to an 8’ wraparound porch with awning on two sides. One length ways and the other width ways.
              I built a 24x32 with a 12' covered porch along the front side. I contracted out the foundation and shell and I did everything else including electrical and plumbing. I was about 45K all in. I made it two small beds, 1 bath, small living area/kitchen/dining all in one. I already had septic, electric, and water to work with. I don't think anyone is going to bid 45K for turnkey. I suspect, using moderate-quality materails, you are looking at more like 57-60K.

Comment

You're probably pretty close for a budget. Mine is 35 X 30 with a carport under the loft. No concrete under the carport, just road base. The loft has room for 4 beds. I went low budget on a lot of things cause it's like you said, basically a fancy deer lease cabin. For example, the staircase to the loft is repurposed stairs like you see in Home Depot for reaching the high shelves. Might not work for everyday living but works great for my purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                  I built a 24x32 with a 12' covered porch along the front side. I contracted out the foundation and shell and I did everything else including electrical and plumbing. I was about 45K all in. I made it two small beds, 1 bath, small living area/kitchen/dining all in one. I already had septic, electric, and water to work with. I don't think anyone is going to bid 45K for turnkey. I suspect, using moderate-quality materails, you are looking at more like 57-60K.
                  That was kind of inline with my thinking as well. Thank you sir!

Comment

My brother in law closed on their new property last week, and we spent all weekend out there doing some clearing and dirt work. Got the road started, but a couple of trees are too much for my brush hog. Going to down them with a chainsaw, then grub them roots. I’ve got a few more roots to grub as well in the current road way, then I’ll widen the road in another 6 feet. Currently having a bridge fabbed up for a narrow wet weather creek crossing, and hoping to get that set in the next few weeks as well. I’ve already got the pad cleared for the barndo build, but will need some good base brought in and leveled out (I’m not doing that part). Also need the septic installed, which I’m not handling either. I’m just prepping the roads, and clearing brush for now. Until we get the bridge in place we won’t be able to get any trucks back there. The river access was quite limited due to steep banks and really thick brush growth. After a full day clearing down by the river and some bucket work we fixed that.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	7D7CAB12-6567-4A58-B91A-1E0E1AB92F81.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	24624981Click image for larger version

Name:	D59B8CE9-0C16-4C13-9223-2B94661C022E.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	24624982Click image for larger version

Name:	E50BC57A-2A32-4967-9A58-DE31972EC4D6.jpg
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	24624983Click image for larger version

Name:	2175CF11-7759-4420-A30B-F8A241D3FB57.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	24624984Click image for larger version

Name:	8A92A4D0-3A32-4A06-9789-09B7C7CB51DB.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	24624985

Comment

In for what should be a fun build to watch.

Comment

Nice work Anthony. I guess your not as worthless as you used to be! Good on you!

Comment

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post
                          Nice work Anthony. I guess your not as worthless as you used to be! Good on you!
                          Every now and then I like to fool people into thinking I’m useful! Lol

As we were about to leave Sunday I dropped this little gal with a 17 to the ear hole. Hopefully the first of many out there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E339AF79-DF44-4641-8D14-BBE26CFC18AE.jpg
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	24624986

Comment

Working...
                          X