Let's talk Ag Exemptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk Ag Exemptions

Who is the expert. I'm about to close [emoji1696] on 22.5 acres and I want to maintain/get ag exemption. It is primarily woods with about a 2 acre pond and a couple creeks on it. Large portion of it is in the floodplain. It will eventually be my homestead, but for now, what is the best option for ag exemption?

Bees
    Bird sanctuary
    Wildlife exemption
    Other????

It isnt completely fenced and I'm not ready for cows, it wont produce hay, so what are my options? Do I need to meet with my local extension agent, or what do I do?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I would look at bee's

Comment

Probably bees or birds. Not sure if 22.5 would be big enough for Wildlife (Deer, Turkey, etc). With that said we have been doing Wildlife on our 88 acres for 6-7 years and it is fairly easy. Just keep logs of what you have done throughout the year and submit the proper paperwork by the deadline.
      To get started you will need a formal application completed. We used LandMark Wildlife Management they did a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
        Who is the expert. I'm about to close [emoji1696] on 22.5 acres and I want to maintain/get ag exemption. It is primarily woods with about a 2 acre pond and a couple creeks on it. Large portion of it is in the floodplain. It will eventually be my homestead, but for now, what is the best option for ag exemption?

Bees
        Bird sanctuary
        Wildlife exemption
        Other????

It isnt completely fenced and I'm not ready for cows, it wont produce hay, so what are my options? Do I need to meet with my local extension agent, or what do I do?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
        your property sounds exactly like mine(floodplain, woods, no clearings, etc) except I have 35 acres. I tried bees but were way too expensive to do myself and they only account for 20 acres max here. Go to your county's Tax Appraisal District page and read up on it and talk with them FTF.
        We wound up going through a government program with USDA and if you're approved, it will throw you right into Ag-exemption for ever how long the program last. Be prepared for a lot of work though.

Comment

I assume it currently is not under agreement exempt?

If not. Wildlife is the way to go. Easy. You have natural forage. Water source. Supplemental feed. Add some bat houses (at proper hieght) bird houses (the state specifies design) brush pile or two for rabbits, snakes and mice. Pretty easy process. Also, when the inspector comes out. Does not hurt to offer a cold water and some of your wife's best homemade cookies.

Comment

Will Take Five years to qualify and in the interim you have to maintain your Agriculture status. I have been told Bee's are an instant Agriculture Evualation.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post

If not. Wildlife is the way to go. Easy. You have natural forage. Water source. Supplemental feed. Add some bat houses (at proper hieght) bird houses (the state specifies design) brush pile or two for rabbits, snakes and mice. Pretty easy process. Also, when the inspector comes out. Does not hurt to offer a cold water and some of your wife's best homemade cookies.
              To convert to wildlife, you must be under AG first. And I believe for a few years

Comment

You'll need to call your county's appraisal district and ask them what their requirements are to qualify for ag use because it varies by county. For wildlife, the minimum acreage required is usually around 20 (varies by county) and it has to have been under ag for so many years before you can apply for wildlife. If you are not currently ag exempt then you'll need to apply to qualify for an agricultural tax exemption.

Wildlife exemption is actually really easy to maintain. There is a list of 5 or 7 things you can choose from every year and you only have to complete 3 of them. The management practices are things you would most likely be doing to your property anyway. Supplemental feeding, supplemental water, brush control, predator control, mowing and so on.

Comment

Is it already under Ag? If not then I believe you have to go down that road before doing wildlife and I believe qualifications vary by county.

Comment

You must have ag exempt before you can get wildlife exemption. I do wood bees. I have 15 acres. Check with your local CAD office

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post

I thought it had to already be under ag exemption to be transferred into wildlife...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                        I thought it had to already be under ag exemption to be transferred into wildlife...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        that's correct.
                        In order to get into Ag-exemption, the property has to be in or if you can prove it was in actual ag-use for a period of 5 out of the last 7 years. Then once it is in Ag-exemption, the next year you can apply for the Wildlife exemption. As long as it is IN Ag-exemption, you don't have to wait any longer to apply for Wildlife-exemption, you just will need to apply 3 of 7 practices suggested by the appraisal district/TPWD every year and turn in a check sheet.
                        Last edited by tdwinklr; 05-18-2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                          You'll need to call your county's appraisal district and ask them what their requirements are to qualify for ag use because it varies by county. For wildlife, the minimum acreage required is usually around 20 (varies by county) and it has to have been under ag for so many years before you can apply for wildlife. If you are not currently ag exempt then you'll need to apply to qualify for an agricultural tax exemption.

Wildlife exemption is actually really easy to maintain. There is a list of 5 or 7 things you can choose from every year and you only have to complete 3 of them. The management practices are things you would most likely be doing to your property anyway. Supplemental feeding, supplemental water, brush control, predator control, mowing and so on.
                          ^^^THIS^^^^

Every county has slightly different rules/requirements. Save yourself a headache and go talk to the person over ag at your county's appraisal office.

If it already has ag valuation or timber you can flip it into wildlife fairly easy (or it was easy in my county)

Comment

Do neighbors have cows? let them use the land.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              ^^^THIS^^^^

Every county has slightly different rules/requirements. Save yourself a headache and go talk to the person over ag at your county's appraisal office.

If it already has ag valuation or timber you can flip it into wildlife fairly easy (or it was easy in my county)
                              Timber . .

Comment

Working...
                              X