VPA vs. Muzzy: Both 3-blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPA vs. Muzzy: Both 3-blades

VPAs are COC. I'm getting better at shaprening them, but just barely hair shaving sharp.

Chisel Points (like the Muzzy) of course are NOT COC points, but the point can be filed to have a poiny and 3 raggedy edges. The Muzzy has 3 razor sharp repaceable blades.

Both fly well on my set-up.

All else being equal, which will penetrate better: A VPA 3-blade with so-so edges or a Muzzy chisel point w/razor blade edges?
    Last edited by SJP51; 01-30-2021, 08:51 AM.

The VPA is a superior product no doubt about it. That being said edge sharpness is a contributing factor for penetration and lethality. Stick with the VPA, learn to get them sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Superior, but 2 1/2 times the price. But the question of penetration was more theoretical than practical.

Comment

Depending on the VPA head you have more than likely the VPA has a higher mechanical advantage. So even if the edge finish is not equal to or better than the Muzzy it may in fact penetrate better. On a totally different subject the fact that the VPA uses a steel ferrule vs the aluminum the Muzzy utilizes is a major factor in the decision imo. I don’t even look at heads anymore with non-steel ferrules. Aluminum is cool material but it can’t hold a candle to steel in the strength category. The Muzzy has killed a pile of animals no doubt but when you dissect the head, it’s construction and materials again the VPA is superior in every facet. My energy would be spent getting a good edge on the VPA and rocking those.

Comment

VPA’s are made from tool steel and Muzzy has a aluminum ferrule. If there’s any doubt about which one you should shoot watch Lusk broad head testing on you tube.

Comment

Again, mine was a theoretical question about penetration from two different heads as I described.

In my compound days, I wacked maybe 30 or so deer and more than a few hogs with Muzzy's. Never bent a ferrule but did curl a tip or two. Always got total pass through and stuck in the ground. They're not tool steel, but they fly good and kill without mercy at compound speeds.

Comment

I would think the cut on contact broad head would penetrate more all things being equal. With that said though, I’m not sure that would be the case if one was dull and the other one sharp.

Comment

I’ll take razor sharp blades over any tip design out there on penetration. Tip means little on muscle and hide in the grand scheme. Not saying there isn’t a scientific measurable difference... but in real world it’s small. The force once hitting bone is reduced by drag of dull blades to more than reverse any advantage of tip design vs blade sharpness.

And muzzys tips are proven...

Of the 2 in your theoretical... I’ll take the sharper muzzyl

Comment

I'm thinking like Low Fence, but we could both be wrong!

I'm still working on shapening that VPAs. I'll get there.
                  Last edited by SJP51; 02-02-2021, 06:08 AM.

Comment

I had to go back and look and see if that broadhead was the one I thought. It was

There is NO WAY you can sharpen that head to compare to a muzzy or any replacement blade. The fixed angle won’t allow it. Your stuck with an inferiority angle for sharpness

Several manufacturers have this design and all are “dull” IMHO. Great design otherwise. They all claim if you can cut a rubber band it’s sharp enough... I can do that with a spoon.

I tracked several deer shot with the montec (same theory) and it was constantly the terrible blood trails. They just ain’t sharp enough FOR ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      I had to go back and look and see if that broadhead was the one I thought. It was

There is NO WAY you can sharpen that head to compare to a muzzy or any replacement blade. The fixed angle won’t allow it. Your stuck with an inferiority angle for sharpness

Several manufacturers have this design and all are “dull” IMHO. Great design otherwise. They all claim if you can cut a rubber band it’s sharp enough... I can do that with a spoon.

I tracked several deer shot with the montec (same theory) and it was constantly the terrible blood trails. They just ain’t sharp enough FOR ME.
                      You are right to be effective the broadhead blades must be sharp, but that means that they must retain their sharpness through bone, hide, muscle, cartilage, meat and organs. With the 30 degree blade angle on a VPA and the quality steel used it will retain its sharpness through game far better than a cheap blade with a 25 degree blade angle that feels sharper to start. Run the muzzy through hide and a rib bone and see how sharp it is, you won’t be nearly as impressed as you were when you put it in the quiver.

Comment

Originally posted by dadams View Post
                        You are right to be effective the broadhead blades must be sharp, but that means that they must retain their sharpness through bone, hide, muscle, cartilage, meat and organs. With the 30 degree blade angle on a VPA and the quality steel used it will retain its sharpness through game far better than a cheap blade with a 25 degree blade angle that feels sharper to start. Run the muzzy through hide and a rib bone and see how sharp it is, you won’t be nearly as impressed as you were when you put it in the quiver.
                        I’ve done it on a few hundred animals.... it’s still insanely sharp 99% of time. Sharper than an inferior blade angle started out still

While I agree a higher quality metal would make em even better. In this make believe situation. I’ll still stick with a cheap sharp muzzy

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          I’ve done it on a few hundred animals.... it’s still insanely sharp 99% of time. Sharper than an inferior blade angle started out still

While I agree a higher quality metal would make em even better. In this make believe situation. I’ll still stick with a cheap sharp muzzy
                          Your definition of insanely sharp must be different than mine. I would love to see a video of a muzzy just shot through deer hide, let alone through a rib and muscle, that will shave hair off your arm. Glad they work for you but there are much better available. Happy hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by dadams View Post
                            Your definition of insanely sharp must be different than mine. I would love to see a video of a muzzy just shot through deer hide, let alone through a rib and muscle, that will shave hair off your arm. Glad they work for you but there are much better available. Happy hunting.
                            100% agree. This thread was asking about 2 heads. Muzzys will often shave hair after a pass through.... the other won’t shave hair before ever shot.... so to me it wins of those 2, not greatest head of all time award

Comment

3 Blade VPA’s sharpened and stropped will absolutely shave hair, and they are easy to sharpen, just a couple of different grit stones and a strop. I’m mostly using Iron Will heads now but have used the 125 grain 1-1/4” VPA’s a bunch and they are easy to get a shaving sharp edge on and they retain their sharpness very well. Of the two mentioned in this post they are the far superior head. Also very durable, just touch them up after running them through game and they are good to go. I guess the only way the Muzzy would be better is if you are not willing to sharpen your broadheads, but now that they are owned by Feradyne out of the package sharpness is hit or miss.

Comment

Working...
                              X