Big Boar Down 11-30-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Boar Down 11-30-2019

I am still hunting strictly from the ground using the ghillie suit in brush cover, no feeder, and LOVING the show I am getting from it.

I shot this boar right before dark tonight 11/30/2019.

He came by from down wind, and walked by me (from right to left) at 6 yards.

He was paralleling a sow, that was about 20 yards out in the wheat field on the other side of the fence, and both were walking pretty fast.

I throat grunted, and he stopped quartering to, and looking right at me.

To late mr pig, and the arrow was away.

I shot him right in the left shoulder, but I was confident it would do the trick.

I watched the arrow go all the way through, make a little bobble, then disappear into the brush at the fence. When I went to pick up the arrow, I was shocked to find only the back half of it. I saw it go through.

This was laying just the other side of the fence & brush.

15 yards to the left of the arrow lay the pig. I watched him go down. The whole thing from shot to dead still was only about 15 to 20 second. No blood trail, there wasn't enough run.

Entry wound. He was laying on this side.

Exit Wound.

Try as I might, out of all the hundreds of pigs I've killed (lots of big ones), I'm still having no luck getting a good tusker. Someday maybe. I'll keep trying.

Top Tusks.

Bottom Tusks.

I got these entry & exit shield sample pictures mixed up, but I think they in order here.

Entry shield.

Exit shield.

After I drug him down to the carnage pit, I went back to look for the front half of my arrow. I finally found it sticking in the tree, which was about 2 yards the other side of the pig when I shot him. I guess it broke when it hit the tree, and that's the bobble I saw as it was going away.

Widowmaker Smash .300's / 30.25" to BOP / Tipped with a 175gr Bishop Archery Right Single Bevel Broadhead / 14.4% FOC / 3 X 4" Marco Vane Fletching / 644gr total weight.

I shot this pig through the on side shoulder, and completely/zipped him out the off side right behind the off side shoulder, then stuck in a tree.

Folks can debate arrow configs for penetration from now till the end of time, but I don't think I'll be changing mine any time soon (if ever).

The Bow is a 21" JC-Optimus riser from Johns Custom Archey. The limbs are Big Foot Recurve SS Static Mediums / 69.5# at my 29.5" draw. It shoots those above listed arrows an average of 215 FPS. I don't think I'll be changing bows any time soon either.

For comparison - I am just under 6'1", and weight 250 lbs. I figure this pig weighs at least that much, and likely quite a bit more.

It was an awesome afternoon/evening hunt. I saw 26 deer total. 25 (all doe) in range with easy shots offered, but I'm not allowed to shoot them. The one buck was a nice 8 point. He came in range, but at full blast chasing a doe. I throat grunted just as he was getting to me, but he never slowed down (no shot).

Thanks for reading along. Hope you enjoyed it.

Rick

Way to go Rick!!!

Congrats!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

That was a ride along of your hunt!

Comment

Cool hunt ! Congrats

Comment

That's a good pig Rick. I've noticed that out here about the small teeth. Nice shot.

Gary

Comment

Thanks guys.

Something I forgot to mention in the story is about the sparks I saw fly right after the arrow exited the pig.

Those old mesquite trees are hard, and I've seen steel spark on them lots of times.

What I "think" happened is, the arrow side swiped up a little higher on the tree on the left in the picture. That's when it broke. The front end dove down, and stuck in the tree to it's right, and the tail end flipped on out into the field. Never know for sure, but it seems to fit the situation.

Rick

Comment

Nice

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Way to go Rick! That's a great looking pig. Good to see you getting it done from the ground too, that's a tough game.

Comment

Nice hog, great job. KAP

Comment

A little more info, and something I am extremely pleased with.

I was using a 15 yard fixed crawl.

The light was very low, but I was able to easily find the crawl simply by hooking the string low, and sliding the tab up until I felt it bump up against the tied on marker.

I did not worry about trying to adjust for the short distance, and aimed just as if it were 15 yards.

Even at only 6 yards the arrow impacted only about an inch above the spot I picked for it. I also know it will only impact an inch or two low using the same 15 yard crawl at 20 yards.

It's a real comfort knowing I can aim the tip of the arrow into the boiler room from almost point blank out to 20 yards (maybe even 25), and know it's going where it needs to go.

Rick

Comment

Nice congrats

Comment

Awesome critter Rick! Good write up...I enjoyed reading it and seeing the pics.

Comment

congratulations awesome shot .

Comment

Working...
                              X