Is Ethanol Free Worth The Hassle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Ethanol Free Worth The Hassle?

I recently purchased a Merc 4 stroke 15hp. It is the older model with a carb. I’ve read a lot on the pros of using E-free gas but best I can tell I live 45 minutes from the nearest station that sells E-free.

In your opinion is it worth the hassle to try and keep E-free gasoline for my outboard or should I just treat 10% ethanol?

Sta-Bil and a little Marvel Mystery Oil (along with the 2 cycle oil) is what I used with my fuel when I ran my 25hp and never had an issue

Comment

To me it is. I run only E free in all of my old early 70's Yamaha's that I've restored because I've seen what it does to gas tanks, carbs, rubber fuel lines even when I shut the fuel off and ran the carb dry. The little bit remaining in the bottom of the carb bowl first turns to Karo syrup looking stuff then gets so hard I have to vat the carb assembly for a full day to clean it out of all of the little nooks and crannies.
      It's a 45 minute drive for me as well but I'll do it to avoid the other headaches.

Comment

As long as you use a stabilizer in your fuel you're fine.

Comment

Star Tron

Comment

Ive a newer 15hp Merc 4stroke and the E fuel with stabilizer still gums and corrodes. I say its worth the hassle in the short run versus the bigger and more expensive hassle in the long run.

Comment

Carbs are cheap for older smaller motors I wouldn't worry about it. I have been through a few 2 stroke older and have never had an issue with it. I just wouldn't let it sit for 6 months with it in there.

Comment

To me its worth it, i run ethanol free in our 4 stroke boat motor, mule, zero turn, and anything that's 2 stroke with mixed gas. Put a little sea-foam in everything once in a while and haven't had to pull a carb in 4-5 years.

Comment

All my power equipment gets either the canned premix or E-free mixed and I've seen a pretty good return on the investment, my blower and weed eater are going into their 4th and 5th year where I'd get 2-3 seasons tops out of them before switching.

Comment

Yes

Comment

yes sir !

Comment

Yes it is worth it. Use Stabilizer if using regular gas.

Comment

I use star tron and unhook the fuel line and let it run out of gas.

Comment

I ran my 1977 150 HP Merc with a lead additive and (Ethanol Shield after they started adding the Ethanol) for thirty years (sold it in 2017) and never rebuilt any of the 3 carbs.
                            I use ethanol Shield in all 3 of my chainsaws, weedeater ,ATV(2 carbs) and blower and I haven't rebuilt a carb yet on them, knock on wood.
                            One of the guys at the lease was using one of the blue colored brands of gas treatment and he had to rebuild his carb on his ATV a couple years in a row, he started using Ethanol Shield and hasn't had to touch his carb for the last 3-4 years.

Comment

I quit running ethanol in my ATVs because of the damage it was causing to injectors and carberators.

I use REC fuel and make sure I use SeaFoam too.

I’ve tried all the other additives like Startron and Stabil and the others. Nothing made the difference that SeaFoam has made in my bikes and generators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X