What to offer on a hog lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
    Oh no I don’t pay to shoot hogs. I have access to unlimited numbers of pigs. I was just responding to OP but even then I think it’s crazy to even considering paying for a “pig” lease
    Same here. Probably way cheaper to buy pork at a store and way better eating. But if I had younger kids that loved to hunt maybe just keep a feeder full and roads trimmed and use my kids as labor. Lol

Comment

No way I’d pay for a lease I could just hunt hogs on, but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I see 2 sides. I don't have a lease so forced to hunt public unless something comes up (oh so painful not enough public land) so I'd pay a small fee. 1000 is way too much, public is cheaper but much less convenient. A couple good ideas above, but If I'm feeding corn it wont be much.

If I had a lease I'd only do this for free, however I would supply some corn to get it moving and maybe keep it going.

Just depends on your situation.

Comment

Find a pecan ranch

I am sure they will let you hunt for free if a responsible group

Comment

it’s crazy to even considering paying for a “pig” lease
            Honestly if it’s year round unlimited access then a couple grand should be sufficient I would think.

This was my confusion. If it’s crazy to even consider paying for a hog lease then why tell the OP it’s worth a couple grand?

Comment

If it’s simply something that you’re wanting to do, I’d see what your budget could handle. Maybe offer
              1,000 a year for unlimited access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I think you would be suprised to know you dont have to pay for a “lease”.

Get to know a landowner. Create a relationship with them. Thru trust and understanding, as they realize you are not a risk to their property, a lot will allow you to hunt for free.

Offer up to so some work to improve the place. Set them up a place to hunt if that is something they would appreciate. Take then a nice bottle or something as a gesture of thank you in the holiday season. Lots of ways to have a place to go and maybe creat a new friendship out of the deal.

Comment

Hogs are my favorite animal to hunt, hands down. I’ll be honest, if I could find a year round place within an hr of me with consistent hogs, I’d pay a pretty penny for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                    I think you would be suprised to know you dont have to pay for a “lease”.

Get to know a landowner. Create a relationship with them. Thru trust and understanding, as they realize you are not a risk to their property, a lot will allow you to hunt for free.

Offer up to so some work to improve the place. Set them up a place to hunt if that is something they would appreciate. Take then a nice bottle or something as a gesture of thank you in the holiday season. Lots of ways to have a place to go and maybe creat a new friendship out of the deal.

This is how it’s done. Then word generally spreads pretty quick to other landowners if you are responsible and kill a lot of pigs. Just make sure to leave places better than you found them. Close gates, don’t throw your trash out, drag dead animals out of the field unless they say otherwise, etc. Lot of landowners aren’t a fan of hunters tearing up their roads when it’s muddy either.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      This was my confusion. If it’s crazy to even consider paying for a hog lease then why tell the OP it’s worth a couple grand?
                      Well because he asked and I’m sure the LO is not going to let him for free. I know of plenty people paying to hunt hogs so it’s truly not a crazy concept anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                        This is how it’s done. Then word generally spreads pretty quick to other landowners if you are responsible and kill a lot of pigs.
                        This is correct.

Comment

Depends. Are you just going to casually hunt the hogs or actually try and control them ? I controlled hogs back when I hunted them , I didn’t pay anything and had more country then time. If you are going to just hunt them with a bow or gun off feeders then a few grand a year for access would probably be good.

Comment

I wouldn't pay anything to hunt hogs.

Comment

I don't hunt much anymore and I was never a "hog hunter". Killed several in the deer hunting process, mainly to protect the deer hunting. Back when I was hunting regularly landowners would beg you to kill as many as possible. Had a few who provided traps. Seems now it's a money making proposition on the land owners part. Pay for a hog lease or pay extra to kill hogs or pay for a day/guided hunt. Not for me.

Comment

You aren't paying to hunt hogs, you are paying the landowner to put up with you.

Comment

Working...
                                X