Coral Snakes and Cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    what is a corral snake going to hurt being around?
    Nothing at all! They would have to bite you in between your fingers !

Comment

lets see the barn cat!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        what is a corral snake going to hurt being around?

I’m not a fan of killing snakes . I do it because I have young kids . We watch our 18 month old niece . So if I don’t relocate them they get killed .
        Heck this is my boy today at school with a bull snake .

Comment

when we lived south of Houston, we'd get Coral snakes in the house all the time. I'm still not sure how they were getting in. One time we found one in the baby's car seat just before we strapped him in there. Now we've moved north of Dallas and just see copperheads and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
            I’m not a fan of killing snakes . I do it because I have young kids . We watch our 18 month old niece . So if I don’t relocate them they get killed .
            Heck this is my boy today at school with a bull snake .
            How does having young kids, and killing snakes correlate?
            Do you think killing the ones you see is doing anything to prevent a kid from being bit?
            Just discussing, Im not ragging on you, just don't understand that reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
              Nothing at all! They would have to bite you in between your fingers !
              This is an often-quoted, but inaccurate statement. That said, they're certainly a lower risk to bite than other venomous snakes, and regular tennis shoes and blue jeans offer pretty decent protection, whereas a pit viper is going to be able to penetrate those barriers if it bites you.

“So, while it’s pretty hard to get bitten by a coral snake, they can deliver a dangerous dose of venom with just a quick bite. And while they are small snakes with small mouths, they can bite pretty much anywhere; they don’t need to get you between the fingers as you’ll sometimes hear. Any exposed skin is all they need.”
              Last edited by bullets13; 04-29-2021, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                This is an often-quoted, but inaccurate statement. That said, they're certainly a lower risk to bite than other venomous snakes, and regular tennis shoes and blue jeans offer pretty decent protection, whereas a pit viper is going to be able to penetrate those barriers if it bites you.

“So, while it’s pretty hard to get bitten by a coral snake, they can deliver a dangerous dose of venom with just a quick bite. And while they are small snakes with small mouths, they can bite pretty much anywhere; they don’t need to get you between the fingers as you’ll sometimes hear. Any exposed skin is all they need.”
                I stand corrected

Comment

I hate snakes, but I hate mice/rats more so I leave the snakes alone to eat the vermin.

Comment

I kill 3 or 4 corral snakes a year, mostly on the back porch. About the same number of copperheads.

They stay in the woods and it's all good. They get into my space an it's on, you know, like Donkie Kong!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                      I stand corrected
                      Something I learned fairly recently myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                        so, red touch yella, dead fella, red touch black friend of jack?

While that is the norm, it’s not an absolute.
                        These are all coral snakes.

Best policy if you don’t know, let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                          Nothing, and the chance of him getting venom in you even if he did bite you are pretty slim.
                          They are not fanged like most venomous snakes.
                          They actually do have fangs, they just don’t fold up like a pit vipers. They don’t have to gnaw on you to inject venom either; a bite to the skin will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                            Reminds me, of my first wife.......................
                            Beautiful.....but deadly............
                            lol

Comment

Good job kitty.
                              A customer ran over this one found in their driveway in Longview. I thought is was a fairly large one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post

That's true. A buddy of mine got bit by a coral snake in Louisiana and it was a little one. It bit him and he had to fling it off because it held on. It only got one fang in his finger but that was enough to send him to the hospital. He said it felt like his arm had been set on fire from the inside.

Comment

Working...
                                X