Boat Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Battery Question

I have a 2014 Skeeter sx220 bay boat. It has 3 batteries I believe with the on board charger. I leave the charger plugged in most of the time when I am not using it. Last week when fishing in Hackberry big motor started fine, live well and bait well ran fine, however after using the trolling motor a couple of hours it slowly lost power. I think the trolling motor is 36 volt, 110lb if that matters. Also every time I run the trolling motor I have to hold the button down for 10-15 seconds for the prop to spin and keep spinning. Is this going to be related to a low battery since it does not appear that the trolling motor battery is taking or holding a charge? If not battery related what could it be? Sorry if some of my boat language is off as I am new to the big boat game. I plan to upgrade to the minn kota terrova as soon as my side money will pay for this. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

You should have 3 trolling motor batteries plus a cranking battery if it is a 36v tolling motor. Make sure you have a charger that is charging all of the batteries and not just the cranking battery.

How old are your batteries?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
      You should have 3 trolling motor batteries plus a cranking battery if it is a 36v tolling motor. Make sure you have a charger that is charging all of the batteries and not just the cranking battery.

I am guessing they are the ones that came with the boat but I am not sure. I will look at all this when I get home. Thanks for the help! I keep up with your reports on the saltwater thread but don't post much there. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post

This is true but if he bought it used it could only be running on 24volt. That could be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
          This is true but if he bought it used it could only be running on 24volt. That could be the problem.
          I just looked. There are 4 batteries under the console. They are continental batteries. All 4 look to be connected to the on board charger (one battery looks like it is linked to another battery that runs to charger). The dates are not marked on any of the batteries that I can see. Trolling motor is minn kota rip tide 112lb 36 volt. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Probably need new batteries

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gooseman View Post
              I just looked. There are 4 batteries under the console. They are continental batteries. All 4 look to be connected to the on board charger (one battery looks like it is linked to another battery that runs to charger). The dates are not marked on any of the batteries that I can see. Trolling motor is minn kota rip tide 112lb 36 volt. Thanks for the help guys!
              Looking like you've got a bad battery, time to replace all three.

Comment

Fixing to write the check Lol. The freeze got 2 of mine.

Comment

If you got troller batteries to last 7 or 8 years, you need a gold freaking medal.

Or fish wayyyyy more

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

There should be 3 batteries linked together. May be 4 batteries but only two linked is 24v. My bil had this same problem when he bought his boat. The troller was 24v and previous owner had a jumper for 24 v but had both troller leads on the same battery.

Comment

There is 4 batteries, all 4 linked to the charger. Should I replace all 4 or just the 3 linked to trolling motor? I am guessing these batteries are original with the boat, its a 2014 and only had 29 hours on motor.

Any recommendations on good batteries? Cost?

I would love to fish more! Just need to learn the different bay systems as I go to Hackberry most of the time.

Comment

Fully charge your batteries than take them to an auto parts store. They can run a test to see if you have a bad battery. If they aren't maintenance free batteries make sure the water is topped off.

Sam's Club has a good marine battery that is reasonably priced. Get group 27 or larger.

Comment

Forgot to mention. Be sure to document how each battery is connected and take lots of pictures. If you haphazardly yank the batteries out you will be scratching your head trying to reconnect new ones.

Comment

There is 4 batteries, all 4 linked to the charger. Should I replace all 4 or just the 3 linked to trolling motor? I am guessing these batteries are original with the boat, its a 2014 and only had 29 hours on motor.

Any recommendations on good batteries? Cost?

I would love to fish more! Just need to learn the different bay systems as I go to Hackberry most of the time.
                            Me personally I'd replace the 3 trolling motor batteries and leave the cranker til it's weak. I always have a 1/2 Perko switch wired to one of the trolling motor batteries only for emergency so it's not a huge deal if my cranker gets weak on the water. For the three trolling motor batteries you're going to have two good trolling motor batteries and one bad one, no sense in testing them with trolling motors you replace them all at the same time. Continental are good batteries, I'm also liking Duracell right now too.
                            Last edited by justletmein; 03-17-2021, 07:30 PM.

Comment

I have had good luck with the interstate batteries in my boat. They were what Haynie sent it home with.

Make sure your onboard charger is working before you go replacing the batteries.

Comment

Working...
                              X