Grendel barrel length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grendel barrel length?

Putting together a Grendel and trying to determine on what barrel length I want to run. Is there a sweet spot on length I should be aiming for. Gun will be used for hunting mainly inside 300yds, but would like to stretch it out on targets as well. I’ve been going back and forth between 18” and 20”, but not sure the extra 2” would make much difference for my intended purposes. Also gun will not be suppressed. Appreciate any input.

This will be an AR, not a bolt gun.
    Last edited by LarryP_1989; 09-01-2020, 08:18 PM.

I would be going for 20", I like to get the most out of my powder and hand loads.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      I would be going for 20", I like to get the most out of my powder and hand loads.
      That’s the way I’m leaning just wanted to get others opinion before I made a final decision.

Comment

I went with a 22” to make 1000 a little easier.

Comment

Originally posted by bustacap View Post
          I went with a 22” to make 1000 a little easier.
          I don’t have access to anywhere to shoot out that far. I limited to about 600-700yds so that’s why I’m leaning towards a 20” barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryP_1989 View Post
            I don’t have access to anywhere to shoot out that far. I limited to about 600-700yds so that’s why I’m leaning towards a 20” barrel.
            I understand, but will you ever in the future? Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
            If you know for sure you will never shoot past 700, I would definitely go with an 18” suppressed.

Comment

Depends on what you call long range. I have a 16 an a 22 inc Grendel and had a 24 inch. I know people that shoot their 12.5 inch barreled Grendels to 600 yards and 18 inch to 900 yards but that is pushing it for that length. Is the extra 50 to 60 fps going from 18 to 20 inch worth it to you? Question only you can answer.

Comment

I went with 24” and shooting 123gr at about 2580-2615fps. I shoot it to 1000 and it’s a blast. Seems hunting is the first and shooting is the second. Go lighter weight. Can always add a bit of MOA to reach steel. Deer within 200-300 yards isn’t going to notice 18” vs 20”

Comment

I went 11” On my grendel and man it sure is nice not trying to sling around a 5’ rifle around in a 4’ blind. I put my can on my 22” man bun and measure the entire gun at 48”. It’s too big for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex View Post
                    I went 11” On my grendel and man it sure is nice not trying to sling around a 5’ rifle around in a 4’ blind. I put my can on my 22” man bun and measure the entire gun at 48”. It’s too big for my liking.
                    What muzzle device are you running on the 11”? My next upper build will probably be a 12” Grendel, but concerned about noise. From what I’ve found you still get a lot of energy from a 12-12.5” barrel.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Riceguy View Post
                        What muzzle device are you running on the 11”? My next upper build will probably be a 12” Grendel, but concerned about noise. From what I’ve found you still get a lot of energy from a 12-12.5” barrel.
                        30CB brake for TBAC ultra 7

Comment

I like my Grendel 12” SBR’s. One is rigged with a thermal, the other for day hunting with a scope. Furthest kill on a hog is 381yds and took my most memorable buck with one at 210yds. If I didn’t have the SBR’s, I’d go with a 16” Grendel. My rifles are usually ran suppressed and carried so I try to go lightweight as possible.

Comment

Mine is 18" and i feel it is a good size, i for sure wouldn't want it any longer. Like yours will be mine is used primarily 300 and in.

Comment

I have a 12.5" and I shoot animals out to 300 yards regularly. I honestly think 18" is the sweet spot for most people and 20-22" is too long. If you're handloading you may can squeak out a little more performance but it's not necessary for hunting. BTW I've owned a 16", 20" and the 12.5". I've been impressed with the grendel's ability to be powder efficient even in shorter barrels.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE0_kqYm6tM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE0_kqYm6tM[/ame]
                              Last edited by PigOPs; 09-02-2020, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X