CNC Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CNC Question

If a person wanted to get into this as a hobby, is it feasible? What could someone expect to pay for a decent machine that does good quality work? Not interested in looking at a $100K water jet.
    What are some real cost associated with a CNC?

Plasma? Laser? Router? Mill? Lathe? What are you going to use it for? Lot of information needed to answer your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

5 axis CNC milling machine start at about $250K
      3 axis CNC milling machine start at about $150k
      So I was told a few short years ago.
      After that you can spend many more K on cutting heads and fixtures.
      I decided I didn't want to get into motorcycle head porting.

Comment

Check with Miket. He is in the business.

Comment

I'm also in. I imagine since OP is talking hobby, he is just talking table top CNC router, possibly for wood. (Or, atleast that's what I have in mind since I'd like this myself.

OP, I googled "Best CNC Router Under $1000" and got some results... If that's what you're looking for. I would also say that they certainly get fancier, can go up to $2,500, or $5,000 and that may still be considered "cheap"... I can't speak to the price of anything else such as software, but I know you can find free software online, but what you will be able to do with it is limited.

Again, this is all based on the very limited research I myself have done. I am in the same boat as you. Don't have one, but interested.

Comment

As said above it depends on what you are looking for... If you are looking for a hobby type machine you can drop 2 - 3K on inventables or Shapeoko, both of which are good machines but are limited in size.

Check:

X-Carve

or

Shapeoko

I use the Inventables X-Carve and Mmoses uses the Shapeoko.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
              Plasma? Laser? Router? Mill? Lathe? What are you going to use it for? Lot of information needed to answer your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Exactly. CNC just means computer numerically controlled. Lots of things are computer numerically controlled.

Comment

I’m more interested in cutting metal, i.e. taking a 20”x20” flat metal sheet and cutting a deer head or my family name.
                Again, this is a hobby not a business and machines that are $100k and up are not even in the parking lot of the ballpark.

Comment

$12-15k Cnc Plasma table.

We bought a 2014 model 5x10 Cnc Router made from a company in Dallas and I don’t have enough time in the day to get all the custom orders out.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                    Exactly. CNC just means computer numerically controlled. Lots of things are computer numerically controlled.

I’m guessing since he compared to a water jet he is thinking either plasma or laser for doing signs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                      I’m more interested in cutting metal, i.e. taking a 20”x20” flat metal sheet and cutting a deer head or my family name.
                      Again, this is a hobby not a business and machines that are $100k and up are not even in the parking lot of the ballpark.
                      You really don't need a CNC machine to a hobbyist cutting metal signs and such. I have done lots and lots of free hand cutting with a plasma and oxy/ace torch. They are extensions of my hands. You will need a hands of a surgeon and some artistic drawing ability and some decent torch skill. Drawing and layout takes me some time but the actual cutting goes quick.

With a CNC you need to know programing and have computer knowledge. IMHO is doesn't take much talent to turn on CNC and cut a bunch of cookie cutter stuff. IF you are going to be in a business then CNC is a must to compete with all the garage plasma guys these days.

Here is some of my hand drawn and hand cut metal work.

My wife loves stars and I bet there are at least 30 or so in different styles and sizes in our back yard. I cut them in my sleep.

Comment

About $300k each.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                          About $300k each.
                          nope

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                            You really don't need a CNC machine to a hobbyist cutting metal signs and such. I have done lots and lots of free hand cutting with a plasma and oxy/ace torch. They are extensions of my hands. You will need a hands of a surgeon and some artistic drawing ability and some decent torch skill. Drawing and layout takes me some time but the actual cutting goes quick.

With a CNC you need to know programing and have computer knowledge. IMHO is doesn't take much talent to turn on CNC and cut a bunch of cookie cutter stuff. IF you are going to be in a business then CNC is a must to compete with all the garage plasma guys these days.

Here is some of my hand drawn and hand cut metal work.

My wife loves stars and I bet there are at least 30 or so in different styles and sizes in our back yard. I cut them in my sleep.

Cool looking stuff

Comment

Ive looked at their CNC and the plamsa table. might be in your ball park

Comment

Working...
                              X