M-44 Coyote Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M-44 Coyote Gun

This is not bowhunting related, but I was curious if anyone can tell me if I can legally buy these, and if so, where.

We have a terrible coyote problem on our lease, and this would definitely be an option I want to try. I know they are legal, at least to, I guess, a licensed trapper, if there is such a thing.

Any help or info would be appreciated. I understand the danger this trap poses to domestic dogs; I can control that part.

buy What.

Comment

One of these? These definitely aren't illegal.

Comment

They are awesome guns!!!! They are rugged as hell. The best advice is to buy quality ammo for it or reload. The mil. surplus is generally crap, and Wolf ammo is even worse. I have 3 of them here at home and hunt hogs, predators and deer with them. Get an aftermarket stock and a scope mounting kit for it. That will make it shoot just as good as any bolt gun out there.

Comment

Are you talking about the M44 you put in the ground then put a cyanide capsule in? I f so I had a friend who had to get a license and keep all kinds of records of what was killed, how many pulls they had ect. Kinda seemed like a big pain in the ***.

Comment

My understanding is they have to be set by a licensed state or federal trapper. Snares will work, but you still need to get a federal trapper, or oldtimer to show you how to set them. you can put stops on the snare to prevent it from closing all the way, that way the animal will still be alive when you return.

Comment

I'm sure he was referring to the cyanide pellet shooter.

Here is what he is after.

Comment

If you have net wire fences on your lease snares work as good as the coyote getters. Email me and I can tell you how to set them. You can buy them lots of places and there are no laws or reports to bother with. ET
                (wilded@austin.rr.com)

Comment

Forget the cyanide. Buy the $70 rifle and have fun shooting them all!

Comment

Thanks, all. E-mail sent, Wilded.

Comment

M44 is the cyanide capusules. You have to be a licensed pesticide applicator with a special certificate to use them. There are tons of regulatory requirements to use them, too. They are very effective. I've heard of farmers who put M44 collars on their sheep at night. The next morning the coyote is still hanging from the collar, dead, becasue it kills so quickly.

Comment

M44

The trapper just put a bunch of them out at our lease in Burnet County. The first night, they killed 2 yotes, they didn't make it 3 yards from where the capsule (cyanide) hit them! The year before, they put them out and got 11 yotes within a couple of weeks. You pretty much don't even hear them at night anymore. Definitley affective, but like everyone else said, I don't believe just anyone can get their hands on them.

Comment

dont know nothing bout them. sorry

Comment

Be careful. I know someone who lost their black lab to a fence snare.

Comment

That's why the cable stops are nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X