How to keep shad alive..few tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to keep shad alive..few tips

I get several messages on how to keep shad alive throughout the year. Seems lot of people struggle with this. Being an Avid striper fisherman and sometimes guide I have learned a few secrets. So here are a few things you need to do.

First you need to understand that you are dealing with shad and they are born looking to die. Gizzard shad are by far the easiest to keep alive but they are messy. Threadfins or Yellow Tails are the hardest to keep and but they are the cleanest.

The Bait tank is by far the most important part of keeping them alive. And the key to a good bait tank is that they are round and they must have a good filtration ad aeration system. The water needs to move in a circular motion. Be careful on not moving the water to fast because that will just wear the bait out. On smaller tanks 40 gallon or less 500GPH. 40 or Larger I prefer 800GPH Pumps. I run a 800GPH in my 50 gallon Creek Bank Bait tank. As far as tanks go Creek Bank are awesome if you can find one. Greyline makes a good tank as well. My only beef with them is all the plumbing is inside the tank with the bait. As far as home made tank I haven't seen any that work as good as a pre-made tank, especially when it comes to filter systems.

Second most important thing and probably the one thing that people neglect is conditioning the water. If you throw bait in the tank without conditioning the water you will have dead bait before long. First thing is add water softener salt to the tank. I use two big handfuls fulls. Adding salt reduces stress and harden scales. Make sure the salt is non inonized and doesn't have any other enhancing chemicals. I also use Tetra AquaSafe water Conditioner. This will remove chlorine and other chemicals. If you get foam on the surface you need foam off. You can buy "bait tank" foam off or you can go to walmart and get the foam off in the pool department for a fraction of the cost. Another thing you can do is use a bait bucket when catching your bait. I keep a 20 gallon bucket in the boat to empty my net in before I transport to the bait tank. This is basically a rinse of the shad. Its easier to keep water clean if you start with clean bait. Using a catch bucket also allows you to cull the little and weak baits. Last but not least change you filter often.

During the summer or anytime running pure oxygen will enhance your bait. It is like Cocaine for shad. It also cools the water. All you need is a small oxygen bottle. Regulator and a diffuser stone/rock. Get the little portable bottle at your welding shop. Everything else on Amazon.

Couple of other things to keep in mind. Sunscreen WILL KILL SHAD DEAD AND VERY QUICK. I am paranoid about not having sunscreen on my hands. If you apply sunscreen Wash your hands with non-detergent soap and be cautious of rubbing you forehead etc. Use the net to catch the bait and avoid sticking your hands/arms into the tank.

Don't over load you tank. Good rule of thumb in the Summer is 1:1 ratio. 1 Bait per gallon of water. If I know I am on some active fish and will be burning through baits I may go 2:1. During the winter you can go 3:1 on Medium Sized baits 4-5". I usually stay between 75-100 baits.

Also during the summer months if fishing all day after a few hours, say noonish, drain half the water and add fresh water and re-condition your tank.

One Final thought watch your bait. If your bait has the red nose or if they are on top gulping for air you water is out of balanced. Either you need to add fresh water and recondition water, change filter or your pump/aeration is not working properly. Happy baits will hold tight at or near the bottom.

Remember there is a big difference between bait that is alive and bait that is lively. If you have any questions post them up and I will try to answer. Hope this helps and Tight Lines!!!!
    Last edited by BrandonA; 08-10-2017, 11:05 AM.

great post, thank you sir.

Comment

Thank you for sharing

Comment

Thanks for the help

Comment

Great post

Comment

Great tips. I also let my bait purge for a minute in a holding tank before going into the bait tank. Shad have a nasty habit of pooping which releases ammonia and depletes oxygen. I change the water in the holding tank after each batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great Info! Thx for posting

Comment

Is there anywhere around Buchanan or LBJ to buy live bait?

Comment

Nice of you to take the time to help other fishermen. All good points.

I use a white plastic barrel cut in half (cut the top 1/3 or slightly more off) Then install a pump at the bottom (on the outside) with simple hose coming to the top. I think Wal-Mart sells the pump/hose package for cheap and it may come with the filter or metal screen. This set up works great for me. I just keep a 20# bag of rock salt in the boat and change water often.

Comment

Originally posted by hchntr View Post

I don't think anyone sells live shad. Minnows can be bought at several places. If you fish often a cast net is well worth the cost.

Comment

While I am at it lets touch on how and where to catch shad. I am amazed at what people spend on bait for striper fishing when they can go catch their own 90% of the time. And I don't care what anybody says Jumbo shiners are not as good or almost as good as SHAD!!! Period end of Discussion. Since we got the basic down on how to keep them alive lets talk about how to catch them.

First we need to distinguish between Yellow Tails and Gizzards. Look at yellow tails as the snob of the shad type. They prefer 5 star treatment. Meaning they want clean pretty water 90% of the time. They a finicky litte A**holes. Most of the time you are going to have to work harder to catch them. General rule of thumb to catch thread fins its usually better to get up early and be on the water around 4 am. Green lights on the boat IMO are a must. Yellowtails early tend to be in deeper water, usually between 10-20ft. Use you graph and look for bait balls or "flips". Once I see bait on the graph or flipping i usually anchor up and wait and let the lights bring them in. This is a good time to get bait tank ready. After 5-10 minutes start throwing. If you don't hit bait right away don't panic. Be patient. If you don't have any in 30 minutes move. Usually once you find them its all over in a few cast.

Now Gizzards are the white trash rednecks of shad. Look for them in the backwood bars aka dirty water. That usually means back of creeks and coves. On most lakes the north end is going to have the murkier water. Green lights attract shad but not nearly as good as they do yellowtails. When I am looking for Gizzards I look and Listen for flips and typically start in 10ft and move shallow. Most of the time when you hit a flip you catch 10-20 baits. Ive had so many in my net at times I barely could lift it in the boat. During the summer the hotter the better and the shallower I go.

During the winter both gizzards and Yellowtails move to deep water. Most the time 20-30ft is where you will find them. I highly recommend Betts Deep Hole net. This has a ribbon tape on the bottom that allows the net to stay open on the way down.

During the spring the shad will run the bank when water temps hit 68 degrees. This is a fun time to catch bait. They key is to pull up on a sand bank and watch for the wake to come. They key here is to hit that first wave/flip. The big females are leading the pack laying eggs and the smaller males are following behind fertilizing the eggs. So throw on the first wave.

As far as nets goes buy a good net. WalMart nets suck. Mako Baits nets are a great net that aren't to expensive. https://justcastnets.com/collections...et-3-8-sq-mesh Go on and learn to throw a 7ft. Its not difficult and it will increase your bait catching exponentially. I throw the Mako in 15ft of water or less and the Metts deep hole in any water deeper. One little tip when you first get your net soak it overnight in fabric softner. This will soften the lines making it easier to throw and open up. Also stay away from Nylon nets. They are a pain in the A** and pick up more trash than all nets.

Tight Lines.
                      Last edited by BrandonA; 08-10-2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hchntr View Post

Nobody sales live shad. Red Top on 29 sales minnows and shiners and Thomas in Marble Falls sells live bait.

Comment

Good info! I've had some expensive lessons over the last few years learning to keep crappie alive in the livewell all day but I'm slowly getting it figured out!

Comment

Best reason I know to just use a striper guide and let them do all the work

Comment

Great info Brandon. Only question I have is "When are we going fishing?"

Comment

Working...
                              X