Anyone use a portable winch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a portable winch?

Yes I said winch, not wench (for y'all with wife jokes ). I was given a small electric winch that I would like to be able to attach to a dump trailer, Polaris, etc. but I want to be able to move it. Basically anything I own with a battery for pulling and/or lifting smaller items like a deer, log splitter and stuff that size. I'd attach it by welding a female receiver to all my stuff but I wanted to see if anyone used something like this.

I have one of these so we can use the winch on different trucks at our lease. It isn’t very heavy duty(flexes when pulling heavy loads) but would definitely work for your situation.
    Attached Files

Comment

I use to have one bolted to a small piece of plate shaped sorta like a teardrop with a hole in the small end. You could slip the hole over a hitch ball or chain it to anything. The winch always pointed toward the cable end when you were pulling too, which kept the cable from cutting and wearing on itself. It worked pretty well and was cheap.

Comment

I have a 2500# HF winch on a mount that plugs into a receiver hitch. It gets power from a trailer connector plug. I keep a snatch block on the winch cable if I need additional line pull for getting something unstuck.

Comment

This is what I use.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes, they work great and they are little powerhouses. Biggest problem is forgetting it and leaving it at home or in the truck. I never could find a good place to store it on my 4wheeler. They are handy. Mine came with standard 12 v cigarette plugin. Make you a spliced pigtail so you can plug it in to the 12v flat plugin on your truck. Got myself out of a bind a couple of times by hooking it to my pickup hitch or bumper, both for recovery on a slick road or pulling a downed tree off the road to the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
              This is what I use.
              That looks handy

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                I use to have one bolted to a small piece of plate shaped sorta like a teardrop with a hole in the small end. You could slip the hole over a hitch ball or chain it to anything. The winch always pointed toward the cable end when you were pulling too, which kept the cable from cutting and wearing on itself. It worked pretty well and was cheap.
                Dad has one of these, loaded an old Farmall tractor on a 16' trailer with it with no problem.
                Think he either cut cigarette lighter adapter off or made up a female end with clips to hook directly to a battery
                You can also run a chain through the hole on it and around something (post, tree, etc) for an anchor.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
                  I have one of these so we can use the winch on different trucks at our lease. It isn’t very heavy duty(flexes when pulling heavy loads) but would definitely work for your situation.
                  I may have to fab something like that up at the house.

Comment

You need BIG wire for a winch of any size to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X