ILF riser question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ILF riser question

How much of a difference does a few inches in riser height make in draw length if the same limbs were used on either riser.

I am trying to find a relatively inexpensive wood ILF riser for a target and hunting bow. It was recommended that i get a 21" riser because my drawlength is 30". How much of a difference would a 19" riser make s they are much more available?

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk

It's going to depend on if you put long, medium or short limbs on it. It makes a difference obviously in overall length which effects possible finger pinch and torque issues. Also a given weight of limbs is measured on the value of the riser length. OTT I'm not sure. This is just what I have seen in discussions in the past.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

You will be fine with a 19" riser. Mediums will make a 62" bow, longs 64", and extra long 66". When shopping for limbs be sure to find out what length riser they were weighed on. Most of the competition limbs are scaled on a 25" riser. Then you have the Samick R1 and R3 limbs scaled on a 17", I believe Black Max are 17", and suspect that the Farmington (Samick) may be weighed on a 19". Before placing an order, ask for advice. There is a rule of thumb about how much weight to add or deduct to adjust for riser length. I've been disappointed in the past with the inaccuracy of using that rule of thumb. It is best to just ask someone that has used a particular limb and whatever riser you will be using.

Comment

You may or may not know that all ILF risers are not made the same regarding limb pocket angle. Same limb on different brand ILF of same riser length can give you 2 or 3 lbs draw weight difference. Then like DRT said, limb length makes a huge difference as well. It can get complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
          You will be fine with a 19" riser. Mediums will make a 62" bow, longs 64", and extra long 66". When shopping for limbs be sure to find out what length riser they were weighed on. Most of the competition limbs are scaled on a 25" riser. Then you have the Samick R1 and R3 limbs scaled on a 17", I believe Black Max are 17", and suspect that the Farmington (Samick) may be weighed on a 19". Before placing an order, ask for advice. There is a rule of thumb about how much weight to add or deduct to adjust for riser length. I've been disappointed in the past with the inaccuracy of using that rule of thumb. It is best to just ask someone that has used a particular limb and whatever riser you will be using.
          Didnt know different limbs were based off of different riser lengths.

So regardless if i had the option of two risers of the same type one 19" the other 21" and the same long or extra long model, length and weight limbs were used on each. There shouldnt be a huge difference in the feel of the draw length ie stacking pinch etc.

Comment

Yes, every maker rates their limbs differently. Some on a 19" riser and others on a 17" riser, and they'll tell you to add or subject from rate limb weight if you put them different length risers. It's confusing. But ILFs generally have some adjustment range for draw weight.

Regarding pinch: A 62" bow is a 62" bow. Regardless of riser length or limb length every 62" bow will create the same string angle at your fingers and thus the same "pinch". I THINK that would be true of a custom 62" bow vs. any ILF 62" bow. It's just geometry. I have both 60" and 62" bows, and the difference in pinch is noticilbe. I think a 30" draw length guy would like a 62" bow better.

Regarding stack: When you start your draw you are holdin 0#. When at full draw you are holding let's say 40#. So if you draw the bow a total let's say 20-inches then with a perfect bow you would gain exactly 2# per inch of draw from 0" to 20" and be holding 40# at full draw, and with zero stacking because the last inch of draw gained 2-lb just like all the other inches of your draw cycle. To avoid stacking, most makers will recommend at lesat a 60" if not a 62" bow for 30" draws. With an ILF, that would also include at least medium limbs and not shorts. Spend some time looking at 3Rivers and Lancaster Archery ILF bows and you'll what makers recommend. Try to fit yourself inside those recommendations and you'll do well.
            Last edited by SJP51; 11-05-2022, 12:36 PM.

Comment

At that draw length even a 64" or 66" would be fine.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

On average the riser lengths make about 1.5 to 2 lbs difference per inch of length change, but that only applies "IF" they have the same limb pad take of angles.

Shorter riser, higher draw weight. Longer riser, lower draw weight.

One of the good things is - if the risers are different angles, you can change the angle with the tiller/draw weight adjustment of the limb bolts to match them up, and it don't take much movement to change the angle quite a bit.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                  On average the riser lengths make about 1.5 to 2 lbs difference per inch of length change, but that only applies "IF" they have the same limb pad take of angles.

Shorter riser, higher draw weight. Longer riser, lower draw weight.

One of the good things is - if the risers are different angles, you can change the angle with the tiller/draw weight adjustment of the limb bolts to match them up, and it don't take much movement to change the angle quite a bit.

Rick
                  I "think" this is the answer he was looking for. Same limbs, different riser.
                  What I was gonna say, but RB covered it good enough.
                  See if they mention limb pocket angle on the different risers.

Comment

I have been shooting a 60" bow because that is what I hunt with. Grabbed the wrong one this morning, a 62" in the same model and just said the heck with it. I shot my normal routine. As I was walking back to the house, I thought to myself that I really did notice that extra two inches. It was much more pleasant and easier on my hands. I have a 29 1/2" draw. Someday I'll find a set of limbs that will turn the hunting bow into a 62". Both bows are Schafer Silvertips and both draw 47@28". The shorter bow is a little more snappy on the shot and the string angle does pinch a bit.

Comment

Thank you for the answers i think that should help me quite a bit with my decisions. I have had several folks recommend the White Feather Lark as the riser i should start with but aesthetically I dont find it that appealing, at least not in pictures i haven't seen one irl. I do like the looks of the Pat's ILF risers but they are a bit more than i want to pay at this time. The biggest problem i am finding is there isnt alot of selection in 21" wood risers at the amount I want/have to pay.

Comment

Money is always a challenge. Even Elon is having a little issue with that $44 Billion!

Comment

Working...
                        X