Climbing stick aider w standoffs from tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m using 2 step 20” climbing sticks and have tried aiders in the past but always found it difficult to get my foot in and out so quit using the aiders. If the tree leans at all the aider lays flat on the tree. Even if it doesnt lean there’s not much space to get your foot in which can be a real pain in the dark. So i decided to make my own aiders and add some sort of standoffs from the tree to make it easier to get my feet in and out.

What I did, which is working really well for me, is to use two zip ties wrapped around the heat shrink i use as the bottom step for my aider. I tighten the zip ties as tight as possible with the end pointed out 90 degrees towards the tree. I cut them 4” long and space them 4” apart(next version is gonna be spaced a little wider towards the edge of the steps probably 5-5.5” apart). After that I apply 4:1 heat shrink w adhesive to the entire length of the zip tie which adds some stability to them. I also added a little bit of glue to hold the zip ties in place on the aider and so far they havent wanted to move on me. They’re still flexible enough to wrap up and pack away in my pack without issue.

I’m not expecting these to last forever but so far it has been a big improvement over standard aiders and they don’t take long to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Better than my milspec tubing and electrical tape job [emoji23]

Back when I ran hawk sticks I just ran webbing through the steps on the outermost cutout hole and tied knots on the backside. I tried the same aider attachment as yours but was afraid the standoff would bend.

Comment

I like it.

I went with the wire rope aiders from EWO...but I still run 3 sticks unless I am going DRT.

Comment

I like the zip tie idea. I'm going to have to give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
            I like it.

I went with the wire rope aiders from EWO...but I still run 3 sticks unless I am going DRT.
            I bought two amsteel aiders from them and then I made the 2nd 2 aiders so the one in the pic is one I made. I did the zip tie standoffs on the amsteel ones too. They actually work better on those bc they used rubber hose which flexes more instead of heat shrink for the step so you can really cinch the zip ties tight and they don't move.

I did the other aiders with wider splits between the zip ties, in the 5-6" range, and that definitely is better than 4" splits(at least on the bigger trees I've tested them on).

Comment

Cool. I gave up on aiders for the same reason. I may want to revisit. Anything to carry one less stick on my back.

Comment

Nice! I always just kind of kick my aider to the side to get my foot into it. Works ok for me.

Comment

I like my cables cause they are always away from the tree, easy enough I have them on all 4 of my 17” minis and they are actually longer than my full lengths at 1/2 weight. On 4 I can easily get 20-22’
                  Attached Files

Comment

Anyone ever used Hangfree for aiders?

Decided to order some made out of amsteel from them the other day along with some full bury amsteel for my sticks with the cam cleat.

Find everything you need when it comes to saddle hunting and the outdoors with Hang Free! Hang Free offers high quality, affordable saddle hunting gear that will help you become a better hunter. We believe everybody should get to enjoy saddle hunting the way we do!

Comment

Never used their brand, but tried amsteel aiders. I love amsteel!…. But I hated it for an aider.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        Never used their brand, but tried amsteel aiders. I love amsteel!…. But I hated it for an aider.

Did the loops close too easy?

Sometimes I debate going back to single step aiders. With my red neck tubing aiders I was able to get about 18 ft the other day in a cottonwood with 2 steps.

Problem is, with the length of them when both feet are in the aiders my center of gravity drops and I feel like I’m gonna swing around the tree.

Makes me wonder how a 3 step aider from 7/64 amsteel is gonna work because I can see it putting a lot of side pressure on the stick. I haven’t had one kick out yet but I’m sure the day will come.

Comment

1. They pinched my foot HORRIBLE

2. They swing waaayyyy too much for me

3. Longer they are the more they close up

I use 4 sticks with cable aiders all in weight is around 5.5 pounds and can get to 22’ without getting too crazy

Everything else is a bunch of non sense for me to save 1.5 pounds…. When I’m at 11.5 total

I see a bunch with packs 20+ pounds… saddle hunting. I’d leave 1.5 pounds of junk at home and add a simpler climber method personally. But saddle hunting is all about customizing to each hunters needs

Comment

Working...
                          X