This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vicious Wolves!

I have been debating this topic with friends and family for years and I am curious about what folks here on the greenscreen thinks. Last night I bought a hunting magazine "Hunting Illustrated" and in it there was an article about a guy that shot a wolf in Idaho.

He starts the article out blaming pro wolf advocates for delaying wolf hunts in Idaho and then says, "Wolves SEEM to be taking a lot of game along with changing their habits.......I know there are still a few around, but they do not eat on open hillside, or talk like they use to in fear of being detected by wolves."

This poor, poor man. Not only must he tolerate the intolerable presence of a predator where he hunts but the game animals, although present in healthy numbers, are now warier and he must hunt harder! I can only imagine the angst.......

This brings me to my question. Why do some people have a problem with wolves/bears/lions/coyotes/foxes etc?

I am not against predator hunting I have shot both species of North American bears and am considering going on a coyote hunt soon. I DO have a problem with everybody out west wanting to re-extirpate wolves and complaining about their presence in the first place. In the past ethical hunters have been the biggest factor in repleneshing damaged wildlife populations in the aftermath of market hunting. That said why do many of the hunting publications still publish ant-wolf and anti-predator articles and opinions.

thats what makes the wild, wild

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
      thats what makes the wild, wild

My sentiments exactly! I would love to have a healthy population of predators in my native East Texas so I could hunt them in the National Forest where I deer hunt instead of having to go all the way to Alaska.

Comment

Same reason farmers hate pigs. They cost them $.

Comment

if youve ever watch a strong elk herd with some great bulls in it got to almost no elk heard and the unit being shut down or watched a deer heard collapse because of an over population of mt lions you would understand.

Comment

This brings me to my question. Why do some people have a problem with wolves/bears/lions/coyotes/foxes etc?
            They kill livestock.

Comment

Wolves are great for population control. They take out the sick and the weak from the herd and make the herd healthier. God had it right when he created predator and prey. Quit trying to change it!!

Comment

Its great to see the diversity of opinion on here. I have been passionate about the outdoors all my life which led to me obtaining a degree from Baylor in Biology (Ecology track) back in 06.

I am particularily passionate about wild canid conservation biology (wolves, african wild dogs etc). I understand that there are many myths and preconceptions about them and I try and inform everyone I can about the truth.

Comment

From my experience, this is a pretty heavily debated topic and people are very set in their beliefs on this one. I have a little exposure to it while hunting in WI, which in of itself is a sign of the wolf recovery even though you are talking about the northwest. There is wolf sign all over the property. I don't remember seeing any sign years ago. The deer herd has taken a significant hit up there as well. Obviously, wolves are only one of MANY factors in that.

I believe that it is true that the pro-wolf groups are trying to block the hunts and have them put back on the endangered species list. No way in my mind are they "endangered." I don't see a problem with having a season on them. Lots of species have had a positive impact from the effects of hunting.

I'm not for completely eradicating them either. They are an integral part of the ecosystem and just kind of neat to have around. If i had livestock I might have a different opinion and I can see where those guys are comign from as well. I might see it the same way if wolves were negatively affecting my livelihood.

The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation magazine "Bugle" had a pretty good section on the wolf debate in one of the 09 issues with great articles written on both sides of the debate.

Comment

Wolves are great for population control. They take out the sick and the weak from the herd and make the herd healthier. God had it right when he created predator and prey. Quit trying to change it!!
                    I am not trying to change anything and I think that every native species has a place in the wild, but I am not against some population control either especially in and around farms and ranches. I personally will probably never shoot a wolf or have a reason too, but I am not going to judge the ones that do.

Comment

I Sooo want to shoot me a wolf!!!

Comment

I have a picture of one on my game cam here in Nac. It's the first one I have seen in these parts in a long time. Pretty cool.

Comment

It is not the killing of some wolves that I am opposed to although I would never do it. It is the attitude and erroneous beliefs that some have. Elk and deer eat farmers crops and although damage hunts are held to control this they are not viewed with the hatred that wolves are when they kill a couple of livestock.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
                            I have a picture of one on my game cam here in Nac. It's the first one I have seen in these parts in a long time. Pretty cool.
                            I would LOVE to see that picture. Most believe the native Red Wolf gone from this part of the world and only coyotes and hybrids left. I have seen several that I think could be hybrids but nothing that would be considered pure wolf.

Comment

Wolves

I bowhunted Moose this year in Alberta and killed a big wolf over a natural mineral lick. The locals really hate the wolf.

Comment

Working...
                              X